General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 01:22 PM
iigghG
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overheating issues

Been having issues with my coolant system which first started with my radiator being clogged and coolant boiling over so I went and had it replaced. I told them to check the thermostat and water pump but everything looked fine to them. A few days later my heater core hose connecter broke in half so I went ahead and replaced that with a metal connector so now I no longer have coolant leaking anywhere. I drove the car after replacing it and now it starts to over heat when I’m hitting the gas pedal so I stopped and at idle the temp gauge won’t go all the way hot but just sits right under it. I was right near my home so I turned the car off for a bit and started back driving again and the temp gauge went all the way back up but if I put it on neutral while rolling the gauge will climb back down to normal until I put it back in drive and give it gas. The car has enough coolant and there are no visible leaks anywhere so I’m guessing could it be the thermostat that’s failed now or the temp sensor? My car has also been fbo tuned with no cats for a year and only when I start it up it’s kind of rough and shakes a little with some white smoke coming out but it’s not constant and there’s no milky oil so I don’t think it’s the head gasket.

Last edited by iigghG; 11-28-2022 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 02:09 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by iigghG
Been having issues with my coolant system which first started with my radiator being clogged and coolant boiling over so I went and had it replaced. I told them to check the thermostat and water pump but everything looked fine to them. A few days later my heater core hose connecter broke in half so I went ahead and replaced that with a metal connector so now I no longer have coolant leaking anywhere. I drove the car after replacing it and now it starts to over heat when I’m hitting the gas pedal so I stopped and at idle the temp gauge won’t go all the way hot but just sits right under it. I was right near my home so I turned the car off for a bit and started back driving again and the temp gauge went all the way back up but if I put it on neutral while rolling the gauge will climb back down to normal until I put it back in drive and give it gas. The car has enough coolant and there are no visible leaks anywhere so I’m guessing could it be the thermostat that’s failed now or the temp sensor? My car has also been fbo tuned with no cats for a year and only when I start it up it’s kind of rough and shakes a little with some white smoke coming out but it’s not constant and there’s no milky oil so I don’t think it’s the head gasket.
Buy a coolant bleeding funnel, install it and raise the front of the car. Fill until it you see no bubbles, then leave about 1/4 of liquid in the funnel with the car on. Fluid levels will rise and lower as the car turns on the fans and what not.
Once you're convinced all the air is out, turn off the car and leave it. In a few hours levels will go down since hot liquids expand. By then you should have proper levels. Remove the funnel and install the cap and go for a drive.
I've never seen a VQ pump in non-working failure, they usually start leaking before the impeller goes (never seen a broken impeler)

If with this process you still overheat, you'll need to get yourself a headgasket/block tester kit. A liquid that is mixed with the coolant in the car. This liquid will turn another color if it interacts with fuel/combustion chamber gasses.
If this liquid turns then you have a blown gasket in the area of the coolant chambers towards the combustion chamber (not all blown gaskets = milkshake). This would explain why it would start busting hoses, etc. Due to the unforgiving cylinder pressures entering your coolant system.
The coolant system should see no more than 20psi.
The following users liked this post:
x818ray (11-28-2022)
Old 01-07-2024, 12:07 AM
Natecamp85
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iigghG
I’m dealing with the same issue brought it to the dealer 3 separate times to check head gaskets they say I’m good !
next step replace temperature sensor
water pump and thermostat are new 9000miles ago