General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Do I have a bad BCM module? 2009 G37

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 05:09 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Do I have a bad BCM module? 2009 G37

Hello all,

I own 2009 G37.. Today, it started acting crazy. 1st the car would not start. No engine cranking sound, just nothing when you press the start button. Dash board light lid up and headlight comes on. You can't turn off the headlight because it's already in off position, also radio/fan works. Basically you can't completely turn the car off with push button. So this is what I have done. I disconnected the negative terminal to the battery. Waited about 30 minutes. Reconnected and tried to star. It would crank but would not crank all the way. Then the dashboard would go into crazy mode. So disconnected the battery for about 30 more minutes then reconnected and jumped the car using other car. G37 starts. Memory seat buttons doesn't work, signal doesn't work, power mirror doesn't work, hazard light doesn't work. AC, radio, door, windows, and seat adjustment works. I checked the fuses and they all appears to be working. The headlight is on. I can't turn this off. Low tire light is on. Then I can't turn the engine off even with 5 sec press. I had to disconnect the negative terminal to the battery and then push the start button to turn off. I checked BCM module near the passenger side and i do not see any water .. so I do not think there is a water issue from the sunroof, and etc.
So to me headlight is working so fuse is okay. I do not know which ones controls the signal light but didn't check but in general i looked over the fuse boxes, except for the one that is next to the battery ( i can't access it without removing the battery).

What do you think? Do I have a bad BCM module? Could it be other ?like ECM, and fuse box module?
Old 08-10-2022, 12:50 PM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Check the IPDM by the battery. You can reference this in the FSM (Body Control Module (BCS)).

Looks like there's a CPU in the IPDM that controls the engine switch. It corresponds to signal wire 89 (ENG SW):

Old 08-10-2022, 01:33 PM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
This screenshot from PCS could be helpful as well:

Old 08-11-2022, 04:27 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Thank you for the info.

A mobile tech came out and checked out the car. He was able to do some troubleshooting and determine that (does not appears to be BCM). Reader tool was able to communicate with the BCM. He found a lock code. He was able to clear the lock code he was able to start the car. As soon as he was about to pack up and leave i tried it to start and of course it won't start. He found code 1612 ( possibly a bad fob key itself). I will do some test with other key fob and see other key works any better. He has recommend getting FOB key replaced.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:16 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Alright.. Ended up reprogramming the existing FOB keys but didn't resolve the issue. He has recommended to replace the steering wheel lock module. The part # is 48700-JK000 (Premium) (This is one expensive part) So I have been reading that Nissan models for 2009 -2010 were known for steering wheel lock issue and they is a replacement part 48708-9N00A. Do you know if I can utilize this part 48708-9N00A to replace this on 2009 G37? There also seems to be other cheaper version of of emulator as well. Wondering if I can simply swap out without having to reprogram anything.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:35 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,279 Likes on 1,034 Posts
OP, I answered your PM, but for the sake of thread continuity, I will post a reply here...

If you can get the engine started and running, I would either remove the "Steering Lock" fuse (located in IPDM/er) or cut the brown wire at the ESCL module. This should disable the ESCL entirely and leave the car in a "always ready" state. This must be done while the car is ON!

In the event the car does not start/ run, you can use the emulator, however, the steering column MUST BE UNLOCKED before installing the emulator by removing the ESCL entirely.

There is no reprogramming involved with the ESCL (or emulator). It is only a switch anod not part of the "verification chain." Keep in mind P1612 is a "VERIFICATION CHAIN" / communication error between the BCM and the ECU so you might have something else going on. I know you checked for water at the BCM, did you also check at the ECU?

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 08-14-2022 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:19 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Thank , I ordered the emulator and will give this a try. Thanks for your feedback.
Yeah, ECU was checked out as well. This one didn't throw out any error codes.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:29 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Just for the sake of updating the thread, the OP did in fact have a bad BCM as evidenced by a U1000 code. BCM was replaced and all is operating as it should.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:17 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Thank you all those who participated. I greatly appreciate all suggestion and feedback on this forum and PM.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:58 PM
Pcbrr
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OP where did you source the BCM and how did you get the keys reprogrammed? I am in a similar boat but can't determine if it's my BCM or IPDM but our issues are kinda similar. Car does not start, no lights on dash when attempting to crank only the red security light and no key light. My A/C is not responsive but radio works, door functions, turn signals, windows all seem fine. I checked the BCM for any signs of corrosion or condensation and nothing but my battery tray and IPDM area was pretty wet. All fuses seem fine. I doubt it's the steering lock module since I hear it engage when turning off the car and I can get into ACC. Runs a U1000 code. Does anyone know of a comprehensive test to determine what system(s) might be at fault? I ordered a used IPDM to work from cheapest to most expensive but I don't want to go through the headache of reprogramming. Thanks for any advice in advance.
Old 08-31-2022, 07:52 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

I had it towed to a local infiniti dealership. They had one BCM in stock that i was able to purchase and installed. PM if you are interested in cost..
The following users liked this post:
jarvond (06-28-2024)
Old 08-31-2022, 07:55 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Im not sure what test they performed but they were almost certain it was due to a bad BCM. Mine looked great and found no obvious water damage.
The following users liked this post:
jarvond (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 04:06 PM
jarvond
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by needsoju
I had it towed to a local infiniti dealership. They had one BCM in stock that i was able to purchase and installed. PM if you are interested in cost..
I have a 2008 Infiniti G37 sport coupe I'm having issues with my car as well I have to cycle through the ignition twice to get the car to start after 30 minutes of sitting. If I have to leave the car overnight I have to disconnect the battery until I get ready to use the car again. There was water by the BCM, but my question is in order for me to buy a new BCM can I get any BCM or what all does have to match to get a new BCM? And if I take it to the dealership how much do you think they would charge to diagnose and fix the issue?
Old 06-29-2024, 10:40 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

You can get a used BCM off eBay but make sure the donor car matches your car. Coupe for Coupe, Sedan for Sedan, etc. and purchase from a seller that has a warranty/ accepts returns (just in case the donor has water damage as well). Or, find a local "pull-a-part" junkyard and pull one from there.

You WILL NEED to have a qualified locksmith to program ALL of your keys to the replacement BCM.

If I were to guess, the dealership will charge north of ≈$750. A new BCM will cost, at least, $500, or more, plus the cost of programming the keys and their "labor."