General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help KEY ID incorrect

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 09:38 AM
Qusai Rayyan
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
KEY ID incorrect

Hello ,

I bought second hand G37, the car works perfectly except there is a small tricky issue in the key (wireless ignition).

You can access the the car while the key in your pocket but once you try to turn the ignition on it will give Key ID incorrect, once you press the "push to start button" with the key itself it will work, this issue I face with both of keys, i tried to change the battery, even took the car and keys to a smith, he advised that is something wrong with car, keys are perfectly fine.

please any suggestions..

Old 07-18-2022, 01:50 AM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
What year? Sedan, coupe, or convertible?

So you can lock and unlock the car and open trunk with the fob in your pocket using to door handle and trunk request buttons? But the push-to-start ignition does not see the key unless you hold it up close to the dash?

Is your audio system stock or has it been modified. I ask because there are antennas scattered around the car which communicate with the I-key. There's one in each front door, one in the rear bumper, one inside the trunk (so you can't lock your I-key fob in there), and there are two inside the car (on a sedan) - one in the center console near the rear seat air vents, and one in the center instrument console below the radio. That last one is the one that should be communicating with your key when you're sitting in the driver's seat.

There should also be a key "dock" located to the left of the steering wheel. This is a backup system to be used if the fob's battery dies. Inserting the fob in that "dock" allows the car to read the chip embedded in the physical key inside the i-key fob. But your description of pressing the start button with the key itself doesn't make sense because I don't believe the car can read the embedded chip at that location.

Slightly mysterious. Tell us more.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:07 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
OP has a 'Vert and is located, I think, in the Middle East so, therefore, car is GCC-spec.

Qusai, please explain how you are starting the engine "with the key itself" in detail and how is the car telling you "Key ID incorrect." Are you using the key slot? The start button itself can not read the transponder chip in the key fob- only the newer cars (≈2017+) have that ability. We need more details, please.

If the car will not start with the fob in your pocket, try placing the key itself on the center console or passenger seat and attempt to start the engine.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:46 PM
Qusai Rayyan
Registered Member

First of all, thank you so much for your help guys, finally some smart remarks.

After your remarks i though it might be an antenna issue as you mentioned, I checked where are the locations that the car can read the key, the results was interesting.

So if you put the keys over the dashboard it will work, if you put it in front of the passenger seat on the floor or in the handle of the passenger door from inside (just back to the window buttons) it will also work. That in addition to pressing the button with the key itself.

However any where near the driver seat, back seat, or the driver door it will give Key id incorrect.

so obviously its a antenna issue, im not sure yet whete is the location of that antenna.

Btw i have to come clean on this, i have G37S convertible us specs, and Q50 2.0t GCC specs and I know how much this forum is helpful and how many times i got help from here, thats why i mentioned its G37 but actually im facing this issue in my Q50 2016 model.

I tried to check online , even posted so many help requests but no one was able to help.

I checked couple of workshops here in Dubai and they always request to leave the car to check it then advise maybe the key is damaged or some stupid outcome.

Now i know where to look, and if any one can help about the antena locations that would be great.

Btw during my research, i came across many cases like that in Nissan or Infiniti g37 or other models and the solution was to give to dealers and pay high dollars .
Old 07-18-2022, 04:48 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

It helps to have ALL of the info up front to help us diagnose your issue. While similar, the 2016 Q50 is vastly different (in terms of wiring) as the G37... all good, though.

There are antennas in each front door (outside) handle, the rear bumper, center console, under glovebox, and, of course, the start button. More than likely the antenna in your driver side exterior door handle has gone bad. Rare, but not unheard of. Does the door request switch (on the outside door handle) work? Unfortunately, to my understanding, the whole handle has to be replaced as the antenna is embedded into the handle and can not be removed/ replaced separately.

This is for the Q60 but the overview is the same for the Q50:

You can download the DLK (Door/ Lock) section of the factory manual for the Q50 from here. This will show you where the antennas are and how to access them. Without proper equipment it is almost impossible for the home DIY'er to diagnose a bad antenna which is why most just take the car to the dealer or someone who has the CONSULT scan tool as that will immediately diagnose which antenna has gone bad (or other issue).

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 07-18-2022 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2022, 01:05 PM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Great info (and reprimand) from ILM as usual. I'll add a couple more ideas:

If the request button on your driver's door IS working normally (pressing it with the fob in your pocket unlocks or locks the car as expected) then I don't think it would be that door handle antenna. Because I don't think that antenna is looking inward to the driver's seat, only outward.

I say this because I've experienced stepping out of the car and pressing the button to lock and the car only to have it beep at me. Then I realize the fob has fallen out of my pocket and is sitting in the driver's seat. The car will not lock me out because it knows the key is still inside.

So if this antenna idea is in fact the issue it points to a problem with either the "inside antenna (instrument lower)" or - more likely - the "inside antenna (console)". You'll see the locations in that DLK manual.

One other idea - do you have any accessories plugged into the cigarette lighter? Phone power supply or radar detector, etc.? If so, I suggest trying the start button with those unplugged in case they're creating radio interference. That's also sometimes an issue with aftermarket LEDs which can create radio chaos. Any in-cabin lighting mods?
Old 07-19-2022, 02:23 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 13_SkylineSedan
...If the request button on your driver's door IS working normally (pressing it with the fob in your pocket unlocks or locks the car as expected) then I don't think it would be that door handle antenna. Because I don't think that antenna is looking inward to the driver's seat, only outward.
Good catch. I keep forgetting that the Coupe's have three (3) inside antenna's whereas the Q50 only has two (2)- plus one (1) in the trunk- which allows for different behaviours. Based on that, and the previous post where OP stated everything works with the key on the dash and in the passenger floor, I would lean toward a issue with the antenna in the center console.

Originally Posted by 13_SkylineSedan
One other idea - do you have any accessories plugged into the cigarette lighter? Phone power supply or radar detector, etc.? If so, I suggest trying the start button with those unplugged in case they're creating radio interference. That's also sometimes an issue with aftermarket LEDs which can create radio chaos. Any in-cabin lighting mods?
Which could also potentially interfere with the center console antenna.

Thanks for clarifying the antennas for me, Skyline...

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 07-20-2022 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-20-2022, 01:47 AM
Qusai Rayyan
Registered Member

the above information shared is absolutely correct.

the door antenna (external Antenna), does not have anything to do with the Ignition, the doors are working perfectly with a key in distance, but still keeping the key next to the door will give KEY ID incorrect if you try to start the car.

as per the diagram shared by ILM, it shows three internal Antennas, one in the trunk, one in under the console and one behind the instrument. I chekced all three antennas and surprisingly, I placed the key in the trunk and the car identified it and I was able to start it, also the antenna in the instrument is working find because leaving the keys on the dashboard will also do the trick, the issue is in the console Antenna, I will be taking the car to my friend's workshop to get it checked and will update you.

thank you so much guys for your help, truly appreciate it .
Old 07-20-2022, 12:16 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Process of elimination: you should be able to easily swap out the antenna in the trunk with the one in the center console and see if the problem follows. You never did say if any work was done/ accessories plugged into the center console area.

Seems you are on the right track, though.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:09 AM
Qusai Rayyan
Registered Member

Thank you so much guys, specially ILM, finally the issue has been resolved.

The car is stock, there is no upgrade or any aftermarket plug-ins.

The mechanic checked the Antena under the main console and found that the cable was somehow lose.

I didn't see it for myslef since i had a business trip, but he just confirmed to me that the key is working perfectly now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Qusai Rayyan:
13_SkylineSedan (07-24-2022), stealthee (07-24-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 11:47 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Thanks for the update. I am glad that it was a simple fix.