General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Valve Lifter = New Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 12:42 PM
kbrow173
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve Lifter = New Engine?

So, I made the mistake of thinking that the Infiniti Dealership would know how to work on their own cars. I noticed a knocking noise in my engine, and I wanted to find out if it was because of the TSD problem and was VVEL knock that could be fixed with a software update pushed by Infiniti. However, they came back to me saying it MIGHT be the rocker arms (which this engine doesn't have, it has valve lifters, which are different). They suggested I should get a new engine.

My question is: can I replace these valve lifters myself, or do I really, actually need a new engine. If so, there are a few questions I have for the experienced mechanics on here.

First, do I need to remove the engine in order to gain access to remove the camshafts? (I'm pretty sure I do)
Second, I know it is more affordable to buy a used engine and swap it myself, rather than paying $15k for the dealership to do it with a new one. How easy (I know it isn't easy, but how actually difficult is it to swap the engine if I get all the necessary tools?)
Old 12-28-2021, 07:52 PM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 139 Likes on 111 Posts
If you have a ticking noise when idling then I do not see much of an issue, the majority have it tbh especially me and I'm at 140K miles. But, if you are hearing it all the time especially throughout the RPM range and it is getting louder then it might be another issue. But, before you do anything you might as well give an engine cleaner a try.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/fluids...lated+Products
Old 12-28-2021, 10:12 PM
kbrow173
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixed

Originally Posted by Said Amir
If you have a ticking noise when idling then I do not see much of an issue, the majority have it tbh especially me and I'm at 140K miles. But, if you are hearing it all the time especially throughout the RPM range and it is getting louder then it might be another issue. But, before you do anything you might as well give an engine cleaner a try.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/fluids...lated+Products
no it was a knocking. I’m well aware of the idling tick lol. This continued through the rev range. However… the dealership fixed it… they don’t know what they did… like at all. They just took the valve covers off and put them back on and it’s fixed? A Christmas miracle
Old 12-30-2021, 02:44 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 139 Likes on 111 Posts
Run it till it knocks again tbh. I wouldn't worry too much if it is normal again. I'm hoping you are using 91 or 93 octane fuel?

As far as getting access to the camshafts no you do not need to take out the motors, you can do it while it is in the engine bay, and if you are that far in you can also do the gallery gaskets.

For removing the engine, I personally do not have experience with is but I do not think it will be all that hard just time-consuming. I'm pretty sure if you buy the motor and take it to a shop they can swap it for a few grand if it is something that you do not want to deal with. But if you do get a used motor I would suggest doing the gallery gasket while it is out of the vehicle.