General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Squeaking noise while turning/going over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 09:05 PM
mooseG37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Squeaking noise while turning/going over bumps

2013 G37x sedan

Car is making a noise every time the surface of the road changes, like small bumps, but isn't there on a perfectly smooth road,
the same noise is also present when I turn the wheel left to right...

Any idea what it could be?
I checked the power steering fluid and it looks good, don't have access to a garage at the moment.

Attached below is a video of the squeaking.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7671 (1).mov (19.01 MB, 907 views)
Old 12-27-2021, 02:37 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 139 Likes on 111 Posts
Sounds like bad shocks. Just turn the steering wheel left and right and check and see if the struts have leaked.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:48 AM
kbrow173
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably your ball joints.. but could be ur tie rods as well

Originally Posted by mooseG37
2013 G37x sedan

Car is making a noise every time the surface of the road changes, like small bumps, but isn't there on a perfectly smooth road,

I checked the power steering fluid and it looks good, don't have access to a garage at the moment.

That my friend is the date destroying sound of your ball joints failing. They need to be replaced ASAP. It’s not super dangerous to drive with them, but they will ruin your social life… and if they fail you would be able to control your car. So get those puppies fixed.

You may also want to consider replacing your tie rods as a bonus precaution.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:29 AM
mooseG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Said Amir
Sounds like bad shocks. Just turn the steering wheel left and right and check and see if the struts have leaked.

​​​​​​​I bought and installed BC coilovers around 1 year ago, so could it be something else?
Old 12-28-2021, 12:49 AM
mooseG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kbrow173
That my friend is the date destroying sound of your ball joints failing. They need to be replaced ASAP. It’s not super dangerous to drive with them, but they will ruin your social life… and if they fail you would be able to control your car. So get those puppies fixed.

You may also want to consider replacing your tie rods as a bonus precaution.
You would need to replace the whole lower control arm in order to replace the ball joint right?
Old 12-28-2021, 08:35 AM
kbrow173
Registered Member

Might as well

You would need to replace the whole lower control arm in order to replace the ball joint right?
Never done this on this vehicle. So not completely sure if you can replace the joint without replacing the entire arm. But you might as well if you just installed coil overs. Getting some upgraded control arms and tie rods will improve your handling immensely.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:48 PM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 139 Likes on 111 Posts
I bought and installed BC coilovers around 1 year ago, so could it be something else?
I think you are dealing with what the majority of people deal with BC coilovers. After a certain amount of time/miles, they start to squeak and have noise issues. Just put on Google "BC coilover noise forum" and you will see that a lot of people have the issue. I'm not sure what is the fix for it but some have might have solutions that might work. As far as MooseG37 stated it could also be bad ball joints, but you can figure that out by raising the front of the vehicle up and doing the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock wiggle to feel for any movement as well 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. Make sure both of the wheels are off the ground when doing it.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:07 PM
mooseG37
Registered Member

Quick update, after washing the undercarriage twice at a touchless car wash, seems like the noise went away?
I live in Michigan so I'm thinking salt or dirt got under some components and caused the noise, I'll check the parts you guys mentioned if it comes back.

Also I forgot to mention I have front upper control arms from SPL, but I don't think that had anything to do with it.

Old 12-31-2021, 06:35 PM
kbrow173
Registered Member

It will probably come back

Quick update, after washing the undercarriage twice at a touchless car wash, seems like the noise went away?
I live in Michigan so I'm thinking salt or dirt got under some components and caused the noise, I'll check the parts you guys mentioned if it comes back.

Also I forgot to mention I have front upper control arms from SPL, but I don't think that had anything to do with it.
I did this when my ball joints went bad, it went away for a little, but it will be back.
Old 07-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Awdsucks
Registered Member

2013 G37x sedan

hey bro I got the exact same issue with mine! Did you ever figure out wat the noise was?