General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help No Headlights After New Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 07:20 AM
Nautical
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Headlights After New Battery

Hey everyone,

So yesterday I found out my battery had died unexpectedly after a few attempts at starting it then trying to jump it. Jumping it didn't work so I went ahead and removed the battery and replaced it with a brand new one. Everything seemed fine until this morning when I go to start the car and realize neither the headlights or fog lights will come on.

I won't be able to dig into this issue until later, but does anyone have an idea of what may be the issue? I'm wondering if the attempted starts blew a fuse or something, but I don't know for sure what would control all of those lights.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:15 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
^^^
No year, no model but check the EXL section in the FSM for your vehicle and use your multimeter to trace..
Did you by chance accidentally reverse the jumper cables even for a moment?
Old 02-08-2021, 02:45 PM
Nautical
Registered Member

Originally Posted by telcoman
^^^
No year, no model but check the EXL section in the FSM for your vehicle and use your multimeter to trace..
Did you by chance accidentally reverse the jumper cables even for a moment?
Sorry, it's a 2011 G37. The jumper cables weren't reversed though when I hooked it up.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:28 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
1) Coupe? Sedan? 'Vert?
2) Headlight switch in AUTO or ON?
3) Does "Flash to Pass" work? Turn signal lights? Hazard flashers?
4) Do ANY of the exterior lights (front/rear) come on when you turn the lights ON (not AUTO)?
5) Have you checked for any water in the passenger floor area?

It might help to disconnect the battery again and let it sit for a hour or so. Give the car a chance to "hard reset."

It could be as simple as a blown fuse or a failing relay to a more serious issue involving a bad switch or a fault with the BCM, IPDM, or anything in between.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:39 PM
Nautical
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
1) Coupe? Sedan? 'Vert?
2) Headlight switch in AUTO or ON?
3) Does "Flash to Pass" work? Turn signal lights? Hazard flashers?
4) Do ANY of the exterior lights (front/rear) come on when you turn the lights ON (not AUTO)?
5) Have you checked for any water in the passenger floor area?

It might help to disconnect the battery again and let it sit for a hour or so. Give the car a chance to "hard reset."

It could be as simple as a blown fuse or a failing relay to a more serious issue involving a bad switch or a fault with the BCM, IPDM, or anything in between.
I actually just resolved this (or rather it resolved itself). I disconnected the battery when I got home while I checked the fuses. None of the fuses were blown, so I reconnected the battery and that apparently corrected the issue. I don't know what this did, but everything reset itself and is acting normal now.

But to address the above for future reference, it was a sedan and neither the headlight or tail light running lights worked when the switch was on either AUTO or ON. I didn't check for water in the passenger side.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:42 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
Glad you got it resolved. More than likely the car just needed a hard reset. Allows everything to go blank and start over. Thanks for the update.