General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Car wouldn't start this morning. Key Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 10:42 AM
jehumbert
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car wouldn't start this morning. Key Issue?

Went to go to the grocery store this morning, car wouldn't start, actually no lights on the interior, clicking sound when I pressed the start switch. Immediately checked my battery, looked good but put it on the charger, JIC. When I got back from the store, same issue. I changed the battery in the smart key, car then started.

My question is: There is a monitor light on the dash that shows a kay and a battery icon. Is this telling me the status of the battery in my smart key? Sorry, first car with a smart key. It already cost me a bunch when my old key died and had to have the car towed to the dealer to sell me a new key and reprogram. Any help suggestions are appreciated.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:58 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
Yes, there is a light indicating low fob battery. You should still be able to start the car by placing the dead fob in the fobgina to the lower left of the steering wheel. Do you not have the owner's manual? It explains all of the warning lights.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:30 PM
jehumbert
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Yes, there is a light indicating low fob battery. You should still be able to start the car by placing the dead fob in the fobgina to the lower left of the steering wheel. Do you not have the owner's manual? It explains all of the warning lights.
Thanks. I do have an owners manual, I should have been clearer in my question. I put in a new battery, but it is still giving me the low battery display. I'll try another new battery and see if it goes out.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:42 AM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
If I recall correctly, you can place the key fob right over the start button and start it that way as well.. I know not a permanent fix, however it got my G started, my Maxima, and a few other friend's vehicles.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:23 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by jehumbert
I put in a new battery, but it is still giving me the low battery display. I'll try another new battery and see if it goes out.
I can not recount the number of times I bought a new pack of those CR2032 batteries- (Duracell/Energizer) either from Amazon, Walmart, Batteries+, etc.- and find the batteries dead on purchase.

Rare, but it happens...
Old 10-28-2019, 09:28 AM
jehumbert
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
I can not recount the number of times I bought a new pack of those CR2032 batteries- (Duracell/Energizer) either from Amazon, Walmart, Batteries+, etc.- and find the batteries dead on purchase.

Rare, but it happens...
That's what happened, 1st & 2nd "new" batteries gave me the status light, 3rd was a charm, no status light. The odd thing was, when I initially tried to start the car, I tried to put the smart key in the slot on the dash to start the car. All it did was flash the lights and give me some weird noises. That's why I thought the smart key may be bad. All is good again, drove to work this morning. Thanks for the responses.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:48 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Use your multi meter to check the battery voltage of the 2032 batteries when you purchase them and return any that test dead
Old 10-28-2019, 10:51 AM
jehumbert
Registered Member

Originally Posted by telcoman
Use your multi meter to check the battery voltage of the 2032 batteries when you purchase them and return any that test dead
Always a good idea, I just never think of doing that, in the moment. Live and learn.