General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

suddenly completely dead, but battery at 12.75

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 01:37 AM
Tucsontripleb
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
suddenly completely dead, but battery at 12.75

I have been searching this great forum for a couple of hours now, but can't find an answer to my issue.

09 G37 vert, auto

Car has been running and starting perfectly
Battery is less than a year old

Went out to start the car this morning and looked like it was about to power up for a split second then absolutely NOTHING!
  • No lights
  • No buttons do anything
  • Remotes and locks do nothing
  • Completely dead
The only thing is a flashing red "key" light.

What I have done:
  1. Checked car battery...12.75
  2. Replaced the battery in the key fob...nothing
  3. Inserted the key fob into the key fob slot...nothing
  4. With key fob inserted, banged on steering wheel lock out box with a "precision alignment tool"...nothing (NOTE: Steering Wheel is NOT locked)
  5. Since the steering wheel is not locked tried the "pull the steering lock 10a fuse" trick...nothing
I can just start throwing darts and start checking all fuses, see if it can be jumped, etc....but wanted to run this by this community to see if this is some kind of known issue before I just start the shotgun approach.

Appreciate any insight!

Scott
Old 08-12-2019, 11:23 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
^^^^

"The only thing is a flashing red "key" light."

https://nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Convertible/2009/SEC.pdf#[0,{%22name%22:%22FitH%22},820]

See Page SEC 194

"ENGINE DOES NOT START WHEN INTELLIGENT KEY IS INSIDE OF VE-HICLEDescriptionINFOID:0000000005050007Engine does not start when push-button ignition switch is pressed while carrying Intelligent Key.NOTE:• Check that vehicle is under the condition shown in “Conditions of vehicle” before starting diagnosis, andcheck each symptom.• The engine start function, door lock function, power distribution system, and NATS-IVIS/NVIS in the Intelli-gent Key system are closely related to each other regarding control. The vehicle security function can oper-ate only when the door lock and power distribution system are operating normally"

One can spend hours, days, months, lots of money throwing parts or you can spend the one hour diagnostic fee at an Infiniti dealer using the Consult diagnostic tool to tell you what the root cause failure is.
Call AAA for a free tow

Telcoman
Old 08-12-2019, 03:09 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
It could be as simple as an open cell in the battery or it could be much more complicated.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:41 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Terminals are tight?
The following users liked this post:
slartibartfast (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 12:51 AM
Tucsontripleb
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
Terminals are tight?
The great thing about this site is everyone sharing their considerable knowledge and experience.....and sometimes their mistakes. I had done a quick little wiggle test on the terminals when I had checked the voltage and they felt tights. However, when I went out tonight to disconnect the battery and see if it would reset that way, I found the Poss terminal was a little loose when I went to take it off. I cleaned both, reinstalled and tightened very well. Guess what, it started right up!

Thanks Epiphany for the reminder to not just check, but actually validate that the simple things are correct prior to working up the complexity ladder of issues.

Thanks to all for your support!

Scott
The following users liked this post:
slartibartfast (08-13-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 11:44 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Tucsontripleb
The great thing about this site is everyone sharing their considerable knowledge and experience.....and sometimes their mistakes. I had done a quick little wiggle test on the terminals when I had checked the voltage and they felt tights. However, when I went out tonight to disconnect the battery and see if it would reset that way, I found the Poss terminal was a little loose when I went to take it off. I cleaned both, reinstalled and tightened very well. Guess what, it started right up!

Thanks Epiphany for the reminder to not just check, but actually validate that the simple things are correct prior to working up the complexity ladder of issues.

Thanks to all for your support!

Scott
Definitely best to rule our the easy free things first. Glad it was simple for ya.