General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help The “Other” Clutch Safety Switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 10:15 AM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
The “Other” Clutch Safety Switch

I replaced the clutch safety switch right behind the pedal about 6 months ago and my car is having trouble starting again. The contact on the switch is fine (I also tried by using my finger to push it in and same issue). Either that part is bad or it’s the “other” switch. I tried following the linkage but it seems to get lost up in the steering column somewhere.

My question is: is this switch reasonably easy to swap like the other one and where the heck is it? I figured I would just replace both since the parts are cheap but if it’s a tough job maybe I should just replace the easy one to see if that works.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:29 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
There's only one switch in the clutch assembly used for starting purposes. The other is to disengage the cruise control when active.

For testing purposes, you can pull the connector in the switch that's actuated when the pedal is to the floor and jump it out. See if you have any issues starting. If not, then the switch should be replaced. If issues continue then it's not the switch.

If you're able to get in there to disconnect both, fit a wrench on the lock nuts then pedal removal should not be necessary.