General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Engine oil dipstick reads above H?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 04:25 PM
justinc7100

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine oil dipstick reads above H?

I had an oil change back in November at infiniti. Should have been checking but I havent really been. I noticed today, after letting the car sit for about 40 mins that the dipstick had oil above the h. Not sure by how much but definitly not a little bit. I wiped it off and tried again 3 more times, and I noticed each time there was less and less oil. By the final reading the dipstick was on the H. I called infiniti and they said to check the oil after the car has been sitting all night. If the oil is about a thumbs length above the H, I can come in and they will drain some oil. The car has 126k, no noticble problems regarding oil. Is this a clear sign that there is too much oil? I am worried because I have driven the past 2 months like this. I do not drive hard either, very light. I notice right after turning the car off and checking the oil, there are small bubbles. When I checked 40 mins later, they were gone. Just seems like there is too much. Thanks. I have not checked after the car has been sitting for a long time either.

Last edited by justinc7100; 01-29-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:19 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by justinc7100
I had an oil change back in November at infiniti. Should have been checking but I havent really been. I noticed today, after letting the car sit for about 40 mins that the dipstick had oil above the h. Not sure by how much but definitly not a little bit. I wiped it off and tried again 3 more times, and I noticed each time there was less and less oil. By the final reading the dipstick was on the H. I called infiniti and they said to check the oil after the car has been sitting all night. If the oil is about a thumbs length above the H, I can come in and they will drain some oil. The car has 126k, no noticble problems regarding oil. Is this a clear sign that there is too much oil? I am worried because I have driven the past 2 months like this. I do not drive hard either, very light. I notice right after turning the car off and checking the oil, there are small bubbles. When I checked 40 mins later, they were gone. Just seems like there is too much. Thanks. I have not checked after the car has been sitting for a long time either.
Definitely let the car sit overnight and then check it for accuracy. If it is that high above the H for sure get them to correct it. It can put stress on the seals if it's too full but hopefully it's not excessive.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:24 PM
justinc7100

Originally Posted by blnewt
Definitely let the car sit overnight and then check it for accuracy. If it is that high above the H for sure get them to correct it. It can put stress on the seals if it's too full but hopefully it's not excessive.
thanks. Hopefully everything is fine, but since I have been driving did 2 months, I am worried I have done damage. Hopefully the dealer can compensate if they did overflow.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:00 PM
justinc7100

just checked (car was sitting for 7 hours) and at first the oil was way over the h but aftet I wiped it down and checked properly, the oil is about a cm above the h (maybe even less)
no smoke coming out my exhaust either. guess I am good but am definitly gonna change it this week as well as let the dealer know. Maybe ill get a free oil change (highly doubt it lol).
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (10-02-2021)
Old 01-29-2018, 10:17 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
A cm over the full mark when the car has been sitting is too much. Drain it until it's between the low and high mark.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:41 PM
justinc7100

Originally Posted by Black Betty
A cm over the full mark when the car has been sitting is too much. Drain it until it's between the low and high mark.
okay I will after work tomorrow. The SA at infiniti told me it was normal lol.I have been driving around 2 months like this and for some reason never checked the oil due to other problems with the car that I was trying to fix. I hope I did not do too much damage :/.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:24 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Not good dude. Seals probably blown out.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:31 PM
justinc7100

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Not good dude. Seals probably blown out.
what are the symptoms of that? The oil is barley above h when its cool. The dealer said it is normal to have a little above the h. I don't notice anything different when I drive and i actually had a fuel damper replaced last week and the tech listened to the car for a while. Wouldn't this be the dealers fault?

Last edited by justinc7100; 01-29-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:20 AM
justinc7100

Originally Posted by Black Betty
just checked the oil after the car sat all night and the oil level was in the middle of l amd h? Am I good?
Old 01-30-2018, 10:22 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Yes. Anywhere between full and low is perfectly fine. It does not have to be all the way exactly to the full mark. Having too much oil is not good, just like having too little.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:52 AM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by justinc7100
just checked the oil after the car sat all night and the oil level was in the middle of l amd h? Am I good?
Agreed- your oil level is good. If nothing else, this thread is worthwhile for others to read and know that first thing in the morning is the best time to check oil levels. It takes time for all the oil to drain back to the sump for an accurate reading. This is especially true in the winter months.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:59 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by dkmura
Agreed- your oil level is good. If nothing else, this thread is worthwhile for others to read and know that first thing in the morning is the best time to check oil levels. It takes time for all the oil to drain back to the sump for an accurate reading. This is especially true in the winter months.
True^^^
And always a good idea to verify firsthand whenever anyone else services your car
Old 01-30-2018, 11:17 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
True^^^
And always a good idea to verify firsthand whenever anyone else services your car
yep. For warranty purposes I'll let dealer change my oil. I'l verify it' correct levels. Then I go home and drain it and refill with M1 0W40.