General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Car Battery Storage: Out of Car / Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 02:34 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Car Battery Storage: Out of Car / Vehicle

So I just purchased a new car battery since my car is a 2010 model w/ 110k miles. At the start of the winter, it was not starting powerfully. I tested w/ volt meter & it was up to spec... 12.47 volt or something like that. This is the car stock battery.

Anywho, I saw a special on Die Hard battery & I am big fan of it. I purchased the Die Hard & planned on replacing the stock w/ it. There is a $15 core charge but I do not want to turn in my stock car battery. Instead, I planned on storing it in my garage.

I've read that it is not recommended to store the battery on cement but on top of wood & to fully charge the battery before storing it. Can ya let me know what is the best way to store my "used" stock car battery in the garage? The battery has the 4 distilled water container thingy on them.

NOTE: pic is a the rack in my garage. it has a plywood as the shelf. I think it is about 1 inch or less in thickness.
Attached Thumbnails Car Battery Storage:  Out of Car / Vehicle-colossal-rack.jpg  
Old 12-31-2015, 03:30 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
I've gotta ask, why keep the old not properly functioning battery?
Old 12-31-2015, 03:54 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Epiphany
I've gotta ask, why keep the old not properly functioning battery?
it is working. It was starting weak at the beginning of winter but guess it needed to break into the cold weather. it was probably 1-2 times that I felt started weak. due to the age of the car, I thought I would go ahead & get the battery ahead of time.

also, it is good to keep stock battery around. I had my old car break down on me & it had a Die Hard battery w/ some warranty in it. I wanted that battery so bad but didn't have a spare laying around so I sold it w/ the car

yup, weird but that's me & the love for Die Hard
Old 12-31-2015, 05:07 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
My OE battery was marginal (~12.3V no load) when I replaced it. I returned an old motorcycle battery as the core instead. They happily took it.

I keep the OE battery on a battery tender. Use it around the garage to power various 12V devices as needed.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:09 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

so i am just going to remove the old battery (working) out of the car & placed it on the bottom rack. i will placed the red & black cover over the battery charge. hope that should be sufficient enough.

thanks all for your input.