General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Car won't start properly

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 12:35 AM
Diaz90

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy Car won't start properly

I have a 2008 s coupe 6 speed 70800 miles...
Car started acting weird when starting it the other day... Car won't turn over... All lights turn on/ac/radio etc... Everything but the car... I changed the battery and that didn't work.... I put the key into the slot and still didn't turn on... After pressing the Cluth and pushing the button a while it will start...

I took the battery to autozone and had them test and charge it and it passed... Sticker on the battery says 3/2012 looks like an oem Infiniti battery cuz it has a huge Infiniti sticker on it...

Put the battery back in and it started... Had it running for a while turned it off then turned it back on and nothing...

I then decided to "pump" my clutch before I start it and it has started every time I do it that way...

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-28-2015, 12:54 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
perhaps time to get a new pedal position or clutch sensor switch... may not be engaging properly..
The following users liked this post:
Diaz90 (07-28-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 01:12 AM
VOLK_TE37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the Clutch Interlock Switch. Either replace it or clean the contacts.
Popular part to replace and available at the dealer.

CLUTCH PEDAL POSITION SWITCH - 370Z (Z34) 2009+ Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com
The following users liked this post:
Diaz90 (07-28-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 01:49 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
It's a bit of a pain to get at (ok, maybe more than a bit). You may be able to test the switch for proper operation without removing it.

According to the fsm (section BCS.pdf, body control system), the clutch interlock switch is a NO type. When depressed, it closes the circuit. So disconnect the harness to it, attach an ohm/continuity meter then close the switch. It should read 0 ohms or make the tone. If you get neither, it's a bad switch.

When replacing, with the pedal to the floor, there should be a gap of about 1mm between the white button on the pedal (that pushes against the switch) and the threaded portion of the switch. In other words, you don't want the switch to be bottomed out by the pedal.
The following 2 users liked this post by JSolo:
Diaz90 (07-28-2015), hooey_b (11-13-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 04:00 PM
Diaz90

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VOLK_TE37
Check the Clutch Interlock Switch. Either replace it or clean the contacts.
Popular part to replace and available at the dealer.

CLUTCH PEDAL POSITION SWITCH - 370Z (Z34) 2009+ Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com
Originally Posted by Jsolo
It's a bit of a pain to get at (ok, maybe more than a bit). You may be able to test the switch for proper operation without removing it.

According to the fsm (section BCS.pdf, body control system), the clutch interlock switch is a NO type. When depressed, it closes the circuit. So disconnect the harness to it, attach an ohm/continuity meter then close the switch. It should read 0 ohms or make the tone. If you get neither, it's a bad switch.

When replacing, with the pedal to the floor, there should be a gap of about 1mm between the white button on the pedal (that pushes against the switch) and the threaded portion of the switch. In other words, you don't want the switch to be bottomed out by the pedal.

This the part your talking about?? I will give it a try today when I get home.... I noticed that even when I put my key into the port that it doesn't show the picture of it on the dash and he picture of it for me to pull it out....
Old 08-01-2015, 01:45 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
perhaps the starter solenoid is starting to go out. bypass the clutch interlock switch and try starting the car. if it still has problem starting, meaning it won't crank or has long and delayed crank then starter solenoid is going bad. if you are mechanically inclined you can buy a solenoid for the starter and replace it yourself which costs so much cheaper than replacing the entire starter.
Old 01-05-2023, 05:22 PM
ro0kie
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starter or switch??

Hi so I’m kinda having the same issue, in my case what happens is I press the clutch then the start button and ntg happens, I try a couple more times, then the starter starts grinding and eventually it starts, other times it starts with no issues at all.
also every time I press the clutch, on the screen, the “press clutch” work normally, so it goes away every time I press the clutch, would it keep working like that in case the switch is faulty??
had the car at the mechanic to replace my steering pump and tensioner(were already making noises) and he told me the started with no issues while it was there and that he’s pretty sure is the clutch switch.
just trying to get a 2nd opinion, last year I replaced my starter cuz the old one was going out

thank you