General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Slid my 09 g37xs into a curb

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:56 PM
g37newf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slid my 09 g37xs into a curb

There was a light snowfall, I thought I'd try and have some fun with it. Took a turn around a corner and got stuck sliding sideways at about 10mph. I had the VDC off with all-season tires on, big mistake, I know that now. Well, the back rim hit the curb first and the front wheel hit just after. There is rim damage, the rear wheel will not roll straight anymore. The car will not drive in a straight line. The back wheel rubs the wheelwell as I move forward. VDC will not turn back on, the "slip" light is light up on the dashboard.

Just wondering if anybody has been in, or knows of anybody who has been in a similar situation? Any ideas on the cost of repair or parts that could be broken?

I already know I will have to get two wheels refinished, that's the least of my worries. I'll try and get some photos to show what's going on.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:03 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by g37newf
There was a light snowfall, I thought I'd try and have some fun with it. Took a turn around a corner and got stuck sliding sideways at about 10mph. I had the VDC off with all-season tires on, big mistake, I know that now. Well, the back rim hit the curb first and the front wheel hit just after. There is rim damage, the rear wheel will not roll straight anymore. The car will not drive in a straight line. The back wheel rubs the wheelwell as I move forward. VDC will not turn back on, the "slip" light is light up on the dashboard.

Just wondering if anybody has been in, or knows of anybody who has been in a similar situation? Any ideas on the cost of repair or parts that could be broken?

I already know I will have to get two wheels refinished, that's the least of my worries. I'll try and get some photos to show what's going on.
I'm sorry to hear about your crash. This sort of thing happens often enough that there's a running joke about "so I turned my VDC off to have a little fun." At least you're okay and no one got hurt.

I would get your control arms looked at, and the front strut as well. You definitely threw your car out of alignment, and depending on how hard you hit, you may have done some serious frame damage. The only advice I can recommend is to take it to a shop that *specializes* in frame/suspension damage and hope for the best.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:17 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Its a car, not a toy.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:34 PM
g37newf

^lol, thanks for the help!

Definitely a very stupid mistake, but I've learned my lesson and am looking to move forward and get my vehicle back to where it was before this happened.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:19 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
I bet your wheel is actually not bent and just scraped up, but it's bent suspension components causing the issues. your front and rear suspension will need a full work over and a bunch of parts replaced, then of course an alignment. Upper or lower control arms, tie rods, unibody links...any or all of these could be bent.

I did the same thing with my first car when I was 18. Of course it was a well used 1984 jetta that didn't have a fancy AWD system or control arm suspension. My rear axle was bent and needed to be replaced. Springs and struts were OK. One wheel was scraped beyond repair.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:47 AM
g37newf

Originally Posted by canucklehead
I bet your wheel is actually not bent and just scraped up, but it's bent suspension components causing the issues. your front and rear suspension will need a full work over and a bunch of parts replaced, then of course an alignment. Upper or lower control arms, tie rods, unibody links...any or all of these could be bent.

I did the same thing with my first car when I was 18. Of course it was a well used 1984 jetta that didn't have a fancy AWD system or control arm suspension. My rear axle was bent and needed to be replaced. Springs and struts were OK. One wheel was scraped beyond repair.
Thanks for the info. As embarrassing as it is to say it, I'm 25 and not 18. I still cannot believe it happened.

You don't know of any good shops in the vancouver area do you? I was thinking of bringing it into a dealership but, I know that will be pricy. I'd like to avoid going through ICBC as I have a clean driving record.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:02 AM
paperboy42190

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dang that sucks to hear