General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Overheating problem plzzz help

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 05:37 AM
ahmed.zakut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overheating problem plzzz help

Well I tried the Arabs forum for that issue. Since my car is a middle east specs.
It is G37 2011 and my issue started few months ago. Every time I take it to the dealer they are saying it is normal.!! How that would be possible if it happened after a while.
Here is the issue. In the middle east we have different specs than the us .. the temperature should stay on the 1st mark of the Guage not like the US specs which stays on the half of the gauge.
So it starts goes higher..but not as of overheating.
They've replaced the radiator and the result is plus one but the issue still there. When I drive the car the temperature goes d9wn where it should be..but when it stops..Immediately it will go above the normal.. when you turn the ac on gradually it will start going down..after a lot of diagnostic by my self..I realized that the right side fan runs only on low speed. But it is really confusing. . What it would be..the fan module or the coolant temperature sensor or the whole radiator fans.. I need your help with that

Overheating problem plzzz help-forumrunner_20131201_143640.jpg

Overheating problem plzzz help-forumrunner_20131201_143702.jpg
Old 12-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I don't know anything specific about the Gulf Spec model and the temperature gauge staying at a lower reading than NA spec models. But I'd suggest that you first make sure that it is actually running hotter than it's supposed to by checking the actual coolant temperature. Besides just reading the gauge. With dome sort of OBD reader or tool. If it is indeed running hot, there are a few causes that I can think of. I'd check them in this order. 1) make certain you have the right mix of coolant/water. Too much coolant inhibits cooling ability. If it NEVER freezes where you are, you only need coolant for the anti corrosive properties and not for cooling. Use no more than 10% to 90% distilled water.
2) make certain that there is no air in your system. Air pockets allow for hot spots to form causing temperature to rise.
3) make sure your oil level is full. Very low oil causes the engine to overheat because your oil cools the internals as well as lubricating them.
4) check your thermostat. Your symptoms sound to me like a thermostat that is stuck closed. To check it, you can do 2 things. With the engine cold, open the radiator cap and start the car. The coolant should not be moving. After a few minutes as the engine warns up, if the coolant begins flowing it's not stuck closed. Also you can check the upper radiator hose. If it's hot with the engine running then the thermostat is opening and it's not stuck closed.

The only other thing I'd suggest is using a product made by Redline calked Water Wetter. It aids cooling efficiency and allows you to run less or no coolant. However if you have a mechanical issue that needs fixing you need to address it first.

That's all I got. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
G37Sam (12-01-2013)
Old 12-01-2013, 12:04 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Could also be a faulty fan control module (item #7) or even a weak fan motor (item #5/6)

Last edited by G37Sam; 12-01-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Yeah, or what Sam said.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:47 PM
ahmed.zakut

You might be right sam, as I mentioned it might be the fan module or the whole fans needs to be replaced. .the car still under warranty so I have nothing to lose.. but the problem that the dealer technician's knowledge to be considered as a Disaster. They know nothing and the easiest reply for them that it is normal. I tried to explain them sooooo many times by logic but no use. I will start put some pressure on them and lets see what will happen.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:51 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Where are you located? I have contacts in Nissan Middle East that can spank your dealer around a little to straighten things up.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:25 PM
ahmed.zakut

Hell yeah ....thx Sam ,, i am also located in Dubai... But I don`t wanna hurt them because the service manager to be considered as a close friend... But for sure when it comes to business I won't give a damn about anyone ,, but i can save that for the future, by the way you live also in dubai,,,and long time back i used to follow your upgrades which is massive Mashalla, big fan of what you've done so far, and I might need your help in the near future for some upgrades,,,, so did you ever face hat I am facing now...you saw the pictures ...is it normal..!!!.. I know your car`s gauge is a little bit different than mine but did it ever moved above the first mark..!!
Old 12-01-2013, 02:03 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Thanks for the kind words

No what you're saying is correct, all GCC Spec G's from what I've seen should be at the first or second mark from the bottom under normal driving conditions, a few hard runs on a hot day will get it just slightly above it. American Spec G's operate normally looking like the below, if your GCC spec G went like the below then there's something massively wrong.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:23 PM
ahmed.zakut

Thank god ..i am not crazy so lets give them my opinions since i know a little bit about cars and how it operates more than their best technicians and if they keeps playing around without any result.. i might need your help for some kicks and punches
Old 12-28-2013, 10:52 AM
ahmed.zakut

Guys i am loosing my mind..they've changed the coolant temperature sensor and bleed the system..it went fine for a couple of days. Then again it came back to what it used to be..climbing above 1/4 in the traffic or when fully stop..any suggestions. .!!!
Old 12-28-2013, 11:00 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
Aside from the GPS updates, do you know what's different for a Gulf Spec model? I've been to the Gulf several times, and to be honest, the temps are not much different there in the summer than say Phoenix, Palm Dessert, Vegas or Death Valley (107+ F is common). I'd be surprised if Nissan made mechanical modifications to support the region (these would be costly). The only thing I could think that would change would be the filtration (air/cabin) requirements due to the dust.

I had a problem similar to this one with a Jetta I owned many years ago and it turned out that there was a pocket of air trapped in the cooling system. Nobody could figure out the issue, but I found a shop that specialized in German cars and they had seen the issue before and were alot more patient in allowing the air to bleed from the system.

Last edited by socketz67; 12-28-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:32 AM
ahmed.zakut

To be honest I've seen the difference with my own eyes..The US specs stays exactly on the half of the Guage or a little bit below it.while the gcc specs stays on the quarter or a little bit above it. For the air pocket I am not sure about it..because it will keep climbing in that case.but I believe the dealer uses a special tool to bleed the system. But I might stand on there heads next time to make sure that they've done it right.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:38 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
When it's cold, open the radiator cap and make sure coolant is filled up all the way. Also keep an eye on your coolant level in the reservoir. When I exchanged coolant, I needed to refill a few times to get it stable because tiny air pockets will eventually surface up and drop the coolant level.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:41 PM
ahmed.zakut

Well you are right about that infiniti won't make a different specs for the cooling system. . The difference that the US uses a Fahrenheit and in the Gcc they are using the Celsius. .so that is why the US specs temp gauge goes higher.

Originally Posted by socketz67
Aside from the GPS updates, do you know what's different for a Gulf Spec model? I've been to the Gulf several times, and to be honest, the temps are not much different there in the summer than say Phoenix, Palm Dessert, Vegas or Death Valley (107+ F is common). I'd be surprised if Nissan made mechanical modifications to support the region (these would be costly). The only thing I could think that would change would be the filtration (air/cabin) requirements due to the dust.

I had a problem similar to this one with a Jetta I owned many years ago and it turned out that there was a pocket of air trapped in the cooling system. Nobody could figure out the issue, but I found a shop that specialized in German cars and they had seen the issue before and were alot more patient in allowing the air to bleed from the system.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:52 PM
ahmed.zakut

I will keep it in mind..well thought that I will just starts my car every day in the morning, checking if I have enough fuel for a while..but it looks like I am back to the old days by doing things my self.
What drives me crazy that when I turn the A/C the needle stays where it should be.. but once I turn the A/C off..it starts climbing above the 1st mark a little bit and stays there..if I drive above 50km/hhit goes back to normal. .I mean the first mark.!!!!.. I've never faced this issue with my old cars..Toyota,BMW and Mazda 6..!!..the dealer changed the radiator, the 2nd thermostat which is behind the engine and the coolant temperature sensor..and the result is 50%..because before changing the radiator it used to stay above the 1st mark. So it is getting better.

Originally Posted by HoldmyMouse
When it's cold, open the radiator cap and make sure coolant is filled up all the way. Also keep an eye on your coolant level in the reservoir. When I exchanged coolant, I needed to refill a few times to get it stable because tiny air pockets will eventually surface up and drop the coolant level.

Quick Reply: Help Overheating problem plzzz help