General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

HELP: Berk HFC install

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:40 AM
kokoszka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP: Berk HFC install

Okay so i am recieving my Berk Hfcs tomorrow and am looking to install it on my own. Just installed my long tube intake yesterday and everything went fine. I heard the installation is a B**** but i wanna give it a shot. Could anyone give me any tips that may benefit me and make it an easier process?

Thanks
Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 AM
shivers

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
lots of PB blaster on the nuts over a couple of days, long 1/2" extensions, and deepwell impact sockets. lots of patience and umph to work on the bolts. you'll need to hit the uppermost bolts through the engine bay and they are the worst (they are called demon bolts for a reason). good luck.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM
kokoszka

Yea thats what i keep hearing haha. Do you know how long it takes roughly for full installation? Thanks
Old 08-28-2013, 11:33 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 752 Likes on 356 Posts
I did a full exhaust install just this past weekend. I posted up a DIY in the tech section. The cats are the longest part of the install, with the right extensions, probably 2 ish hours? The more height you can get to fit under the car, the better. Feel free to PM for more explanation.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:08 PM
kokoszka

Thanks a lot GoFightNguyen, thats exactly what i was lookin for. Great DIY and i hope you enjoy what you battled for 8 hours haha
Old 08-29-2013, 03:24 AM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
8 hours for an exhaust install sounds crazy :-|.. but with the right tools you could have cut the time down to 2 hours. If you can get access to a torch you will be a happy camper. The top nuts require a 2ft long extension with a goosneck adapter and if your nuts are rusted to crap then your best bet is to use some heat. I just installed some new gaskets for a buddy and it took us 1 and 1/2 hours on the ground without a hoist but then again the previous hardware was already replaced with new stuff. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Doubleminded

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine took 3 hours, these guys are right, spray PB blaster for days. I did it for a week straight, before I went to work and after, those bolts came right off, and I just used lots if extenstions and hand power. Took 3 hours because I took my time. Spray the mother effin bolts! That's the key
Old 08-30-2013, 09:52 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Originally Posted by kokoszka
Okay so i am recieving my Berk Hfcs tomorrow and am looking to install it on my own. Just installed my long tube intake yesterday and everything went fine. I heard the installation is a B**** but i wanna give it a shot. Could anyone give me any tips that may benefit me and make it an easier process?

Thanks
Did you ever get this installed?
Old 08-30-2013, 05:30 PM
kokoszka

Been spraying the PB like crazy, Sh** so rusted gotta let it soak in haha. Gonna try monday or wed. I keep you guys posted tho
Old 09-04-2013, 10:53 PM
kokoszka

Alright guys so today i finally put in my Berk HFC's. Sure enough you guys were right. I did it with a friend and it took us 2 hours and 15 min. It was a b**** tho. We snapped 1 bolt on top on each side and had to jigsaw off one bolt underneath. I recommend having your car COMPLETELY cooled, helps A LOT. A lot of cursing coming from underneath the car lol.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:06 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Alright guys so today i finally put in my Berk HFC's. Sure enough you guys were right. I did it with a friend and it took us 2 hours and 15 min. It was a b**** tho. We snapped 1 bolt on top on each side and had to jigsaw off one bolt underneath. I recommend having your car COMPLETELY cooled, helps A LOT. A lot of cursing coming from underneath the car lol.
I'm pretty sure that's step 1 in my DIY, lol. You were warned!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 AM
kokoszka

Thats why when i snapped it i didnt get so mad haha. I was expecting it
Old 09-27-2013, 02:11 AM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
UGH I was just doing this today and I don't even wanna say how long it took me and I had to just wrap it all up and call it a night and wait till tomorrow because of one GOD DAMN BOLT on the passenger's side the top left... tried like almost everything and nothing ...and due to trying so much the head of that bolt is stripped and don't know what to do :/ it is a PITA to reach from the engine bay as well as from underneath and best way would be to cut it but I am clueless on how to reach it and how to cut it :/ I have seen a thread on this couple days ago about a stripped head bolt while attempting to install berk HFCs and I can't seem to find it either , any help is greatly appreciated ... my car is just stuck by the house till I get this one bolt out and can put in the second HFC...

Thanks, Mike !
Old 09-27-2013, 10:57 AM
kokoszka

Damnnn : /, well i would only assume you would have to remove intake and anything in the way if possible, Do you have a jigsaw that you can fit through? Or a power tool that can cut it? I had to cut the bolts with a power tool on mine. Lucky its passenger not drivers side man.
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
UGH I was just doing this today and I don't even wanna say how long it took me and I had to just wrap it all up and call it a night and wait till tomorrow because of one GOD DAMN BOLT on the passenger's side the top left... tried like almost everything and nothing ...and due to trying so much the head of that bolt is stripped and don't know what to do :/ it is a PITA to reach from the engine bay as well as from underneath and best way would be to cut it but I am clueless on how to reach it and how to cut it :/ I have seen a thread on this couple days ago about a stripped head bolt while attempting to install berk HFCs and I can't seem to find it either , any help is greatly appreciated ... my car is just stuck by the house till I get this one bolt out and can put in the second HFC...

Thanks, Mike !
Old 09-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Damnnn : /, well i would only assume you would have to remove intake and anything in the way if possible, Do you have a jigsaw that you can fit through? Or a power tool that can cut it? I had to cut the bolts with a power tool on mine. Lucky its passenger not drivers side man.
that I guess could be arranged to get some power tool that can cut it, but the question is how did u cut your bolts with a power tool on yours? did you cut the passenger side top left too( as if you were looking through the engine bay)
from the top or bottom? what power tool did u use ?

Quick Reply: HELP: Berk HFC install