General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

OEM Cabin filter replacement . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 05:25 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
OEM Cabin filter replacement . . .

Grape Seed Polyphenol Micro-filter, Activated Charcoal Micro-filter or standard paper filter? Grape Seed and Charcoal are $37.50 and standard paper is $23.75; can anyone actually tell the difference when they are installed?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Activated charcoal helps to filter out smells. I've still smelled strong odors through the HVAC system even with it in place. Maybe they'd have been even worse without it? I don't know. I think the grape seed one is to reduce allergens. Does it help? Who knows.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
^ +1. I use the active charcoal and still get a minor smell sometimes. I think the only way to TRULY get rid of the smell would be a complete clean of the entire A/C system.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:50 PM
DanG37
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by philter25
I think the only way to TRULY get rid of the smell would be a complete clean of the entire A/C system
Edit: I'm considering doing that in my car, but looking at all the work the FSM seems to indicate, I think the opportunity cost out ways the opportunity benefit for me.

OP,
I got my new to me G37 at the beginning of the year and put in a cheap "standard" cabin filter in near that time. The original was caked in cigarette ashes.

In the past month, with the rainy weather my area has been having, I been noticing some musty smell and just recently a hint of the cigarette smell, so It's time for a new filter for me.

The cheapest I can presently find the previously very cheap NPN carbon at a vendor I would actually buy from is $21, so I'm spending the little bit more and picking up a couple of the grapeseed polyphenol that infinitipartsusa.com sells. You may be able to find a NPN carbon cheaper than I did though and be happy with it.

(The "standard" cabin filter that I put in at the beginning of the year was one I found on ebay that matched the model number in infinitipartsusa.com's grapeseed polyphenol screenshot. Bummed it was not a grapeseed polyphenol filter as hoped, and I'll not be trying that again, particularly since I only saved $5 or so compared to nfinitipartsusa.com's price.)

Is the grapeseed polyphenol filter worth the extra? Not sure. I'll try to remember to post back around Christmas time.

Edit: I did some digging around here, and found a new vendor for me that seems to have high marks here, and they have the ATP RA64 for $13 and change. That's too cheap to pass up, so I've just gone this route. Their shipping is very fair as well. I think I just found a new go-to vendor.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...arcode=1443653

Last edited by DanG37; 08-10-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:37 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by DanG37
Edit: I'm considering doing that in my car, but looking at all the work the FSM seems to indicate, I think the opportunity cost out ways the opportunity benefit for me.

OP,
I got my new to me G37 at the beginning of the year and put in a cheap "standard" cabin filter in near that time. The original was caked in cigarette ashes.

In the past month, with the rainy weather my area has been having, I been noticing some musty smell and just recently a hint of the cigarette smell, so It's time for a new filter for me.

The cheapest I can presently find the previously very cheap NPN carbon at a vendor I would actually buy from is $21, so I'm spending the little bit more and picking up a couple of the grapeseed polyphenol that infinitipartsusa.com sells. You may be able to find a NPN carbon cheaper than I did though and be happy with it.

(The "standard" cabin filter that I put in at the beginning of the year was one I found on ebay that matched the model number in infinitipartsusa.com's grapeseed polyphenol screenshot. Bummed it was not a grapeseed polyphenol filter as hoped, and I'll not be trying that again, particularly since I only saved $5 or so compared to nfinitipartsusa.com's price.)

Is the grapeseed polyphenol filter worth the extra? Not sure. I'll try to remember to post back around Christmas time.

Edit: I did some digging around here, and found a new vendor for me that seems to have high marks here, and they have the ATP RA64 for $13 and change. That's too cheap to pass up, so I've just gone this route. Their shipping is very fair as well. I think I just found a new go-to vendor.
RockAuto Parts Catalog
Infiniti dealer parts charged me $24.70 for mine a few months ago

Name:  2012G37SCabinFilter036_zps3b469961.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  2012G37CabinFilter035_zpsb7b72873.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  41.1 KB

I change mine once a year

Telcoman
Old 08-11-2013, 12:06 AM
DanG37
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you transfer the single sided foam tape from your old filter to your new one when you installed your new one?

Neither the filter that came with the car nor my first filter replacement had such foam edging, but I noticed the grapeseed polyphenol picture at infinitipartsusa.com has it.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:08 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 284 Likes on 238 Posts
Honestly, I have tried several and cannot tell the difference. I would probably trust any of the aftermarket filter providers for this one. Hell, even the factory filter is not that expensive. This is an easy one to install yourself.