General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Cruise Control turns on by itself and "set" blinks

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 05:41 AM
g37noob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control turns on by itself and "set" blinks

I bought an 08 g37S coupe a month ago. I've been having issues with the cruise control. A week after I got it the cruise turned itself off on the freeway and wouldn't "set" again. I could turn the "cruise" light on and off, but not "set". I pulled over, and turned the car on and off several times and it began working again. Ever since, the cc only works once in a while. (usually not at all). Lately, it has been turning on by itself during normal city driving. The "cruise" light pops on, and the "set" light blinks erratically. None of the CC controls will respond when this happens. I have to turn the car off and restart, (sometimes several tries) in order to make it go away..
The last thing I want to do is bring it to the dealer a dozen times while they tinker around and charge me $100 per visit trying a bunch of "fixes"
So if anyone has had this issue and knows what I need to tell the dealer to test, or look for, ahead of time, I imagine I could save a lot of money in diagnostics. I appreciate the help

Last edited by g37noob; 04-11-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 PM
mr_nlu
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you got it at a used car dealership then i would bring it to the dealership you bought your car from and see what they can do. if they dont do anything i would then reset the ECU (theres a really easy way to do this with the gas pedals). if your problem still exists i would bring it an infiniti dealership and pay them
Old 04-11-2013, 09:52 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
It's not a ecu reset.
By chance do you have your vdc on?
Because I had the intelligent cruise control, would not engage if vdc was off.
It will just blink real fast & not engage.
Or sometimes in direct sunlight, the laser seems to have a problem, it's possible the area may have been dirty this was a 1200 mile road trip.
Found that out on a trip from NY to FL.

Good luck with your problem, if you have icc, clean that lens cover real good.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:49 PM
GotAir523

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
this happened to me a while back. atleast for me, it would only happen if i had used the cruise control the last time i had the car on. while set was blinking, the cruise control wouldn't work. took it into infiniti and they couldn't get it to replicate. brought the car in for something else and they happened to replace the cluster due to the sides becoming unflush, as well as telling me there was an ECU update, and got a new steering wheel due to the one i had peeling. they did it all in one trip so i can't specifically say which one was the one to fix it, but after all 3 of those changes, it hasn't happened since
Old 04-12-2013, 12:27 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
If you have the technology package with the ICC, try cleaning off the sensor.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:21 AM
g37noob

Thanks.. Where is the sensor? The car is black, so naturally, I have to wash it ALL OF THE TIME! So, I doubt the sensor would be too dirty, but if it is on the front of the vehicle, there is a possibility it could have some road tar on it. The previous owner must have driven thru a construction site because the grill is covered in tar.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 AM
g37noob

Actually, I just found out it doesn't have ICC... I've read several threads going back several years and there have been a lot of people with this problem, but no one has
seemed to come up with a definitive solution. One guy reposted 2 years later and still hadn't figured out what was wrong, haha.. There does seem to be a connection between the cc issue and the manual shift mode though. I noticed using DS mode is usually what triggers the flashing "set" problem, and the shifting gets a little funny as well. Long lags between 1st and 2nd where the car will feel as if it has stalled. Several other people in those threads noticed the same thing. I've had it happen with the VDC on and off so I don't know if there is any connection with that as some have suggested. I'm leaning toward some sort of transmission sensor that also relates to the CC. Hopefully, the dealership will figure something out. Just about every thread I read where people had this issue had gone to their dealer several times with no resolution.. Wish me luck!

Last edited by g37noob; 04-12-2013 at 04:01 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Are your windshield wipers on when this happens? No CC allowed if the wipers are on.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:15 PM
g37noob

No the wipers aren't on.. It actually hasn't seen rain or snow since I bought it
Old 04-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Kuma632

I have experienced this exact problem four or five times in the five or so months I have owned my '09 Coupe 6MT, no ICC, IIRC. In Dec/Jan I thought due to cold/ice but happened again recently so that's not it. Someone in another thread thought clutch cable sensor? Of course it won't show up at, or on the way to dealer (100 mi. one way, btw). Gonna keep looking and def. chime in if I figure it out.

Bless, ~B
Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Holshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I'm experiencing the same problem myself now. Just bought the car 3 weeks ago and took it to the dealer and could not replicate the problem. Says there is nothing wrong. It happens randomly, Cruise will come up on the info screen and then the Set light will continuously blink rendering the cruise control inoperable and annoying as hell because it flashes constantly. Does anyone have any ideas yet on what might be causing this? It's driving me nuts... Someone mention he ICC sensor, where is it exactly? At this point I'll try anything.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 05-31-2013, 01:26 AM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
The sensor is in the front of the lower grill to the driver side a bit. If its loose or not connected properly then it wont work. If its dirty it wont work. If a car is too close to you as you engage it will turn off. If the weather is bad then it wont work. If vdc is off then it wont work. That is about it. If it still does not work then go back to the dealer, it has to be a problem with the bcm or ecu.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:21 AM
ppc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The "SET" would flash on the dash without even using the cruise. It would reset by turning the car off. The dealer tried a bunch of stuff stating the error code was not listed in Consult. Tried replacing the ECU but couldn't get it recognized. New technician found the switch on the clutch that disengages the cruise was bad. This is the Nashville dealer that is less than a mile from the US headquarters.
The following users liked this post:
handleandrew (09-15-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 09:08 PM
toughcookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had my car in 3 times for this issue!!

So far they have:

(1) Adjusted ASCD Brake Switch (didn't fix it)
(2) They didn't even do anything!!
(3) Replaced clutch interlock switch

Just picked up the car yesterday so we'll see if this finally fixes it. I believe there is a TSB for it as well
Old 09-15-2013, 08:56 PM
handleandrew
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
I had this exact same problem sometime at the start of 2012. it happened again a few months later and happens once every few months. I never use cruise and don't have icc. it is very annoying when it happens but it resets when I turn the car off and then doesn't do it again for a few months. doesn't both me enough to get it fixed for whatever rate the dealer will charge now that its out of warranty, plus, how can I duplicate the problem if it resets every time I turn off the car...