General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Popping/jumping from driveline when first turning in wet/cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 06:13 PM
loarmistead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popping/jumping from driveline when first turning in wet/cold weather

I have noticed this issue within the past few months. In the mornings, particularly after a cold or rainy night, after cranking the car, the first time I turn the wheel to back out of my parking spot, I feel a popping noise as I am backing or pulling out, and the front end sort of bounces along with the popping I can hear and feel in the steering. After I straighten the wheel and drive, it doesn't do it anymore. It only occurs when first moving and turning the wheel in the morning. This has only started happening within the past couple of months and is very noticeable.

Can anyone give me any guidance on what may be causing this?
Old 02-03-2014, 01:31 PM
stealth210

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by loarmistead
I have noticed this issue within the past few months. In the mornings, particularly after a cold or rainy night, after cranking the car, the first time I turn the wheel to back out of my parking spot, I feel a popping noise as I am backing or pulling out, and the front end sort of bounces along with the popping I can hear and feel in the steering. After I straighten the wheel and drive, it doesn't do it anymore. It only occurs when first moving and turning the wheel in the morning. This has only started happening within the past couple of months and is very noticeable.

Can anyone give me any guidance on what may be causing this?
Did you get any update on this? Mine is doing this also now.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts
Sounds similar to what I experience when backing out of my driveway some, when I have the wheel turned and go over that last little bump separating my driveway from the road I hear a pop.

I get a similar pop when I do U turns too sometimes.

subscribed!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:30 PM
stealth210

Originally Posted by Dough1397
Sounds similar to what I experience when backing out of my driveway some, when I have the wheel turned and go over that last little bump separating my driveway from the road I hear a pop.

I get a similar pop when I do U turns too sometimes.

subscribed!
I have scheduled an appointment for this, will update.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:32 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Sounds like rack & pinion steering knuckle.
Mine went bad, made a popping sound. There is a small shaft that rotates inside the knuckle.
Apparently it's susceptible to damage.
Good luck with the repair, hope it goes smooth.
Ps, please romp the loaner car.
Just kidding.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Tim30250

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
My car also started doing this a few months ago, but as others said - only when the car is first started in the morning, and only when the outside temperature is below about 35 degrees. Since I live in southern TX, we don't many cold days like that, so I probably won't be inclined to get it fixed in a hurry (especially since I'm just out of warranty now) unless it gets worse or is confirmed to be a safety issue.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:49 AM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I asked my dealer about it and they said it's okay as long as it only does it when it's cold outside and mine is a 2013. It only does it for me in what I call extreme temps here in Nashville meaning below freezing.
The following 2 users liked this post by John B:
therzdae (12-09-2015), Tim30250 (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 02:22 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Maybe some parts of the suspension are binding. Going over that bump frees it up?

It's been way below freezing here in chicago (single digits), our driveway does have a few uneven spots. About the only thing I feel backing out is the occasional tire slipping on the ice/
Old 03-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Tim30250

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Maybe some parts of the suspension are binding. Going over that bump frees it up?
I don't think so. It definitely feels like more of a steering thing than a suspension thing. My car does make a slightly different popping sound when it goes over the bump at the end of the driveway, but it will also make a very similar sound on perfectly level ground.

Again tho, it only happens when it's really cold outside, and only when the wheels are turned like 90% or more toward one side. So I don't think it's binding issue. Of course, it is kinda odd that this issue only presents itself in near or sub freezing temperatures, so who knows..
Old 03-04-2014, 05:10 PM
stealth210

Quick update. The car was dropped off this morning and will be hearing from them by tomorrow. They want to change the tires to eliminate that as a possible problem. I don't think it is tires and I think it's only in the front drivers side wheel area.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:49 AM
Tim30250

Thanks in advance for the updates. I also doubt the tires are the issue. Since my sound presented itself for the first time just a few months ago, I haven't had enough experience with it to isolate which side it's coming from. Like yours, it seems more driver side, but I can't say for certain.

Please let us know if your mechanic uncovers anything definitive..
Old 03-09-2014, 06:47 PM
stealth210

Ok, so the dealer was unable to reproduce the problem after the new tires were installed. I hope that was the issue, but it has been above 30 degrees since so the problem wouldn't show itself anyway (It's only a problem when really cold ~<20 degrees). We'll see when it dips down into the 20s again before spring. So far, no issues.
The following users liked this post:
Tim30250 (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Tim30250

I appreciate the update. I hope that was your issue, but I'm not really confident that tires were the cause. It seems more a function of temperature, and I couldn't imagine any tire issue sending such a noticeable (non-vibration-like) sound/feeling through the steering wheel.

So I guess we'll just have to wait until the thermometer drops below freezing again. Unfortunately, for me, I don't think San Antonio is gonna see sub-freezing temps until December. Fortunately, I won't have to hear that noise again till much later this year..
Old 03-24-2014, 05:58 PM
stealth210

Quick update, no real news to report. The issue has not shown itself since the new tires, BUT it has also been warm since and we know this issue only happened when cold, so I can't say that was the problem.

As we all know how this feels through the entire car, steering, I'm not fully convinced it was tires, but we'll see next winter I guess!
Old 03-24-2014, 07:20 PM
Tim30250

Thanks again for the update. Mine hasn't made the sound in a few weeks, but again, it hasn't been near freezing so the likely catalyst to the problem has been removed.

Anyway, I'm subscribed to this thread, and I'll post up again next winter when/if the issue presents (it didn't in the first 4 winters) itself. If it comes back again, I'll likely be more proactive in diagnosing and correcting the issue.

Quick Reply: Popping/jumping from driveline when first turning in wet/cold weather