General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Borrowed G37 Won't Start!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Tock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borrowed G37 Won't Start!

Let me begin with my apologies if I haven't thoroughly searched enough. I'm babysitting a 2011 G37 Coupe for a friend that's stationed in Guam with the USAF, and we're both at a loss for what might be going on with his car.

In summary at least, the car's had dead battery issues. Since I'm just watching it, it's not being driven much but lately it's had to be jumped if it sat for more than a couple days without being started. More recently it wouldn't start after sitting for only 45 minutes or so. Having cars of my own to deal with, I jumped it and moved it out into the street and left it to be addressed another day.

Fast forward to last weekend, and I finally got some time to take a look at it. Positive battery terminal wasn't seated properly on the post. Easy fix. Jumper cables back on, but now nothing except strangeness:
  • Using the intelligent key, attempting to lock/unlock the doors gets me the right number of beeps but the door does not lock/unlock. Have to use mechanical key.
  • Inside, the dome and puddle lights come on along with the center multifunction display (see below), the gear indicator light (automatic transmission), and the start button (with LOCK illuminated). But nothing else. Horn doesn't honk. When I turn the headlights on, the working dash lights dim accordingly (and the gauge hood control buttons illuminate) but the headlights do not come on. Can't change to ACC mode.
  • Most importantly, the car doesn't start. No starter solenoid click, nothing. It's as if it doesn't recognize the intelligent key at all (which has a fresh battery in it BTW)
  • The center multifunction display briefly shows an image with indicating that I should turn the steering wheel left to right while trying the ignition button. This does nothing, the wheel is locked in both directions. This image comes on and off at intervals
  • A yellow light with the work KEY and an image of the key comes on and off. The red car + key light flashes.
Google turns up a wide range of similar problems, but none of the solutions have worked. I've tried turning the wheel left/right while starting, even with the battery on jumper cables, but to no avail. I also let it sit with the negative terminal disconnected for 30 minutes. I'm led to believe the car's fallen fate to the steering wheel lock failure but I'm getting other strange issues that makes me hope at least that that's not the problem.

Any ideas? Taking it to the dealer is the last option, as logistically it will be very difficult with my friend being in Guam. I want to make sure I've tried every other option before he shells out to have it towed.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry for your troubles.

Start with the simple stuff. Are you 100% certain that the battery is good and fully charged?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:39 PM
DeamonG37s

Instead of jumping it constantly try charging the battery properly, and put the key inside the key fob holder. Start with one issue and address that properly cause if you don't, well you jus don't know where to start anymore...
Old 02-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Tock

I should have already, but I'll put my DMM on it tonight and see where the voltage is at.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:12 PM
DeamonG37s

Leave the charger over night needs a full deep slow cycle, for best results. Jus jumping the car that many times with our cars having so much electronics in it jus isn't a good idea.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:24 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Why not have infiniti dealer pick up & tow it.
im sure they will,it's a 2011 with a warranty.
Even though its not yours, just have your friend give you a letter giving you the on to being it in. You can end up causing more problems, this car car be a pia.
Just my .02.
Otherwise I commend you on taking care of your friends car.
That's a true friend. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:31 AM
PyramidFalcon

bump! I hope we can figure this out, (scratching my head)
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Tock

Car's an 08 (don't know why I thought a 2011), so it's well out of warranty.

The DMM read 9.xx volts last night, so I put it on the charger for a few hours. Came up to ~12.50 but as soon as I pulled the charger I could watch the voltage drop by a hundredth every second or so. Battery's not holding a charge. Good news I guess, because a battery is easier and cheaper than a trip to dealer, but still not out of the woods yet. I have limited time I can work on it since it's out in the street with no lights, but I'll pull the battery and try a known good battery this weekend.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:37 AM
DeamonG37s

I would recommend a bigger battery than OEM size. Something like a red top a good quality so issues like this don't happen. Oem is weak for our cars electronics.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The fact that its an 08 and not an 11 makes a world of difference. The 08 models had an issue that causes the battery to drain. Buying a bigger/better battery isn't the solution; no matter what battery you put in, the drain will still happen if you don't fix the problem. There's a TSB to fix it.
http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/show...69.html?t=6769
Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 AM
DeamonG37s

Good 2 hear u fixed it
Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Tock

Originally Posted by Black Betty
The fact that its an 08 and not an 11 makes a world of difference. The 08 models had an issue that causes the battery to drain. Buying a bigger/better battery isn't the solution; no matter what battery you put in, the drain will still happen if you don't fix the problem. There's a TSB to fix it.
http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/show...69.html?t=6769
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 PM
DeamonG37s

What's the cost of the repair with no warranty. I upgraded mine its 08 bigger battery no issues since. I haven't done the tsb either.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:17 PM
DeamonG37s

I mentioned that tsb to my dealership and they said they would pay half for the battery only. But I picked the red top instead..
Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Tock

Well I finally got around to pulling the battery out today. Replaced it with a known good battery of the same size, but still nothing. Still getting the steering wheel lock malfunction graphic on the center display (indicating I should turn the wheel left and right while holding the iginition button).

Odd thing though, even with the good battery almost none of the internal electronics worked (horn, head lights, signals, etc) either - just as with the original battery. All I get is the key light, a reaction when I put the key in the port, the wheel lock malfunction light, and the flashing red security light. All fuses seem OK.

Quick Reply: Help Borrowed G37 Won't Start!