General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Post SeaFoam Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:18 PM
pregistry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post SeaFoam Experience

Just got a hold of a G37 with 78k on it and was doing what I normally do to my cars...cleaning throttle body, injectors, all that bit. Ran Seafoam through my motor last night the proper way without stalling and slowly through the brake booster and let it sit for 30 minutes before firing it back up and letting it burn off. Took it for a spin after smoke subsided and it was running much better. Installed an r2c intake after the seafoaming as well which I'm now removing to put stock parts back on for the warranty...

Bottom line is...this morning I moved my car from one parking spot to another with no problem. Pulled tools out of my trunk and as I walked away the car stalled and died. Fired it back up and it was running roughly and had a knocking/ticking noise shortly after. Pretty loud one to add. I can't figure out what went wrong and what the heck happened. Oil levels are fine and fresh.

Yes I am new to the forum since I bought my car recently. Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
check your MAF blades...especially if you had to take them out to install your R2C setup or reinstall the stock intakes. your G will idle rough if you reinstalled them backwards. (correct way is the "hole" on the blade is facing towards the front of the car). good possiblility that you just need to flip them around.

someone had this same problem on g35nyc.com about a month ago and that was the culprit.

oh, and your R2C intakes shouldn't have any bearing on the warranty........
Old 02-12-2013, 11:11 PM
daicon0

I did a full seafoam (oil crankcase, gas tank and break booster line) two weekends ago without issues. It may be the intake install like above.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:35 AM
pregistry

They only fit one way...unless the sensors match one side or the other. MAF sensors can cause the loud clicking?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
As far as I'm aware, you can put them in backwards.

Worthy a try anyway. It's a quick check.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
By the way you said you did it, it doesn't sound like the Seafoam itself is the issue. I've done it to my G 2 or 3 times now without issue. I usually don't let it sit for as long as you did (5 or 10 minutes) but if it started right up and ran until the smoke stopped then I don't see how it could be the cause of your problem. It sounds like you have an issue with the install/removal of your intake. I've seen far more issues with that than using Seafoam.

I'd suggest double or triple checking everything with your intake and then resetting the ECU.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 AM
pregistry

Put all the stock parts back on and reset ECU. Looked at some pictures online of the direction the MAF sensors are put in and it doesn't seem that is the issue either. I know the R2C intake doesn't void warranty but the less I can give the dealership to pushback on the better. I'll keep you guys updated. Gonna have it towed there shortly.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:53 AM
daicon0

I remember someone a while ago on here who had this issue or worse after an intake install wherein something was left inside the intake tube and that something found its way to the throttle body!!!! Good luck!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:56 PM
pregistry

Originally Posted by daicon0
I remember someone a while ago on here who had this issue or worse after an intake install wherein something was left inside the intake tube and that something found its way to the throttle body!!!! Good luck!
Hopefully that's not the case. Pretty sure its not considering I drove the car pretty hard after the install and ECU reset so I could get fresh data from the sensors. No rattle till the next morning. The airflow would have sucked it in much sooner I am assuming and wouldn't have waited till the next morning to start rattling.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 PM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure you placed the vacuum line back properly on the brake booster.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:44 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Is your car CPO warranty? Because there shouldn't be any warranty after 70k miles.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 PM
pregistry

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Is your car CPO warranty? Because there shouldn't be any warranty after 70k miles.
False alarm guys. Seafoam and intake improved flow so well it knocked my loose exhaust undone at one bracket and that was the issue.R2C FTW