General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help VDC OFF and SLIP lights reset

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:45 AM
desikillaz88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation VDC OFF and SLIP lights reset

Hello,

I replaced my clock spring today because I had broke it on a paddle shifter install, as a friend had turned my clock spring one rotation. I didn't have working steering wheel controls, horn and had to look at my VDC OFF, SLIP and flashing airbag lights for almost 2.5 months. Most annoying experience I have had with any car.

My question is that I have now replaced my clock spring that I ordered from infinitipartsusa and it works great but I cant get my VDC OFF and SLIP lights to go away. I found a way to get rid of the flashing airbag light but still searching for a solution on the other two.

If anybody out there is able to provide some sort of inside that would be awesome. Now one thing I can add is that when everything broke initially and my lights first came on, I figured out what was causing them I simply opened up everything and turned the clock spring one rotation back and the lights went away themselves. Thanks in advance to anyone that is able to provide answers and a solution!!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:29 AM
DeamonG37s

check your brake fluid and clutch fluid. fill it up
Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Sounds like you may have messed up your steering angle sensor.
Only reason I know this is when I had headers done, they messed up the speedo cable & clock spring.
Then the steering wheel was off center no matter what was done.
If you broke the clock spring than most likely the sensor it sits behind the cs.
Otherwise that's a brake fluid issue , is the only other times I have seen that combo of lights.
Good luck with the repair.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:13 PM
desikillaz88

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
Sounds like you may have messed up your steering angle sensor.
Only reason I know this is when I had headers done, they messed up the speedo cable & clock spring.
Then the steering wheel was off center no matter what was done.
If you broke the clock spring than most likely the sensor it sits behind the cs.
Otherwise that's a brake fluid issue , is the only other times I have seen that combo of lights.
Good luck with the repair.
I think I read about your issues on here, so are you suggesting I replace that piece as well? I can't get my steering to sit straight either. Tired 10 times but its either a little too much to the left or right.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 PM
desikillaz88

anyone else have anything they can add? Would a ecu reset make the lights go away if I actually don't have any kind of serious issue ??
Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 PM
Majeed Bader

Im having the same problem. I got the airbag light to go off but cant seem to get the VDC off and Slip lights off. Im not sure if this has anything to do with it but the parking guide on my backup camera turn right with the steering wheel and center when the steering is center.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 AM
SPN27RU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to calibrate steering angle sensor.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:56 PM
SlimTV
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey guys, I recently noticed the same thing in my XS. The "VDC Off" and "Slip" and "AWD" was lit up on my instrument cluster. I first noticed it during the recent Blizzard as I was having fun in the snow on high performance all seasons. I only noticed it when I was going around a bend at an unsafe speed and the rear tried to swing the car around sideways (understeer?). Since then, its happened 2 more times including today. Each time I just shut the engine off and then back on again (a quick reset) and everything is back to normal. Can somebody shed some light as to why this happens and how to permanently fix it? And how do you calibrate the steering angle sensor? Also my parking guide on the nav/reverse camera seems to be functioning as it should. No warranty here, so the dealer is the absolute last option. I have a lead foot and hearing my intake scream is a daily addiction/ritual no matter the weather, but at the same time I am constantly monitoring vehicle stats as if Im piloting a luxury jet, but wifey not so much. She just stomps the gas pedal whenever another car gets too close like shes some teenager borrowing her parents car, and she will race ANYTHING and beat it. Its kind of a rush/turn on for both of us, so me telling her to chill is out of the question. Anyway Im concerned the car may get away from her one day when the VDC mysteriously shuts off and Im not co-piloting. What is causing that?? The only weird thing I notice is the smell of something like fluid cooking? But I smell that in EVERY SINGLE INFINITI I've ever flogged from 2007 to 2012 mostly in very low mileage loaner vehicles lol. I'll check the brake fluid and tranny fluid during the day and see if anything is out of the ordinary.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 AM
SlimTV
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I did some extensive searching and found a link that might help with the VDC off issue. However I must say that the search feature on this site is not that good. I dont want to say it sucks, but it is not very smart. I type something Im looking for in the search field, and no results come up. But if I search using google, I get directed to tons of threads from MYG37. This is the reason a lot of us think people arent using the search feature, but in fact they are, and I can confirm that its hit or miss doing it from this site, and its a miss more often than not. Anyway heres the link:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...lp-please.html
Old 02-21-2013, 06:45 AM
RISKY GUY

Originally Posted by desikillaz88
Hello,

I replaced my clock spring today because I had broke it on a paddle shifter install, as a friend had turned my clock spring one rotation. I didn't have working steering wheel controls, horn and had to look at my VDC OFF, SLIP and flashing airbag lights for almost 2.5 months. Most annoying experience I have had with any car.

My question is that I have now replaced my clock spring that I ordered from infinitipartsusa and it works great but I cant get my VDC OFF and SLIP lights to go away. I found a way to get rid of the flashing airbag light but still searching for a solution on the other two.

If anybody out there is able to provide some sort of inside that would be awesome. Now one thing I can add is that when everything broke initially and my lights first came on, I figured out what was causing them I simply opened up everything and turned the clock spring one rotation back and the lights went away themselves. Thanks in advance to anyone that is able to provide answers and a solution!!
Electronic steering angle sensor, if you damaged the clock spring & replaced it, you damaged the sensor.
I know this because my car sat for 2+ months until the problem was diagnosed.

It's located in the steering wheel, remove the airbag cover its right behind it.

Get out the diagnostic tool & hook it up see what readings you get, mine was all out of spec. You would never see the steering angle zero out, intil that sensor was replaced.

The part is $600 wholesale, I really hope you don't need one.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 PM
taviooo

Have you tried ECU reset?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:02 AM
RISKY GUY

Originally Posted by desikillaz88
I think I read about your issues on here, so are you suggesting I replace that piece as well? I can't get my steering to sit straight either. Tired 10 times but its either a little too much to the left or right.
It's to much of a coincidence, my steering wheel would not center.
Once that steering angle sensor was changed, it was top dead center then just a re alignment.

You will need a good quality scan tool, before you buy the sensor.

I don't want to tell you to buy a part that cost $700, i am 99% im correct but just in case it is not so double check with scan tool. You will see you will not get a zero reading if sensor is bad.

Again, I watched my guy get those readings were all messed up.
Basically controls your steering.

My car sat for 2 months til this was figured out.

He never had any issues like this before, he was like this is a pia.

Good luck, let us know if that does the trick.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:09 AM
RISKY GUY

Slim tv, you need brake fluid if vdc,slip,brake earring is lit.

It's a warning you're low on brake fluid.