General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Review First Snowfall driving impressions- hakk 7's 09 g37x

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 10:54 PM
microwave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking First Snowfall driving impressions- hakk 7's 09 g37x

yeehawww lol just got to drive my two week old new to me 2009 g37x sedan 35k 7spd non nav premium package 17" Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7's non studded car in the snow for the first time. It drove like a dream. We didn't get a lot of snow but enough to stick on the road and cause everyone else to drive sooooo slow. i wanted to pass everybody(but i didnt) because i knew i could in this car. What I liked is that i could step on it and accelerate without any fishtailing or excess spinning. The car drove great and i can't wait until there is more snow. My desire to not drive the car in these conditions to save the paint rims etc just disappeared because its so much more fun driving it than looking at it!!!!!
We live in northern new england and have driven AWD or 4wd suvs all our lives. My last car was a b5 a4 that i got over 200k on!!!! While the AWD never let me down I really like how the g accelerates fast and is able to drive really close to what its like on dry pavement. i kept it in auto the whole time, no snow mode either, and drove about 5 miles up a winding steep road where i passed 3 trucks unable to make it up. you could tell they didnt have snow tires though because of all the spinning tracks just as you get to the first little incline. hahaha as soon as i passed them i stepped on it just to show off and there was zero spin no fishtail just straight to where i wanted to go lol.

i recommend the hak 7's, wanted to get the r's but they didnt have them. 7's are usually a studded tire but you can get them non studded. The guy at the tire place didnt push any tire on me, i knew i wanted a nokian tire. asked about the well reviewed continental winter tire and he didnt have anything good to say. Also, mentioned the general arctic or altimax winter tire and he said they're ok. i ran those on my a4 after having nokians years ago, michelin alpins, and blizzaks only because they were a good deal at the time. Total for the 7's mounted and balanced on oem rims was $840 including tax and tpms bs.

First impressions: I can't wait to drive it more. Really love the car. However, i there are subtle differences that have turned me off compared to audi. mostly build quality. the dash warps, the breaks judder, the speakers are ok, when its raining or snowing u cant open your window for 2 seconds without water dripping in (doesnt seem to be a good water channel around door/roof), the PAINT really sucks, audio system is ok, IPOD nav aux options really really suck. Overall though, its starting to win me over with how it drives. I really hope the maint costs are less than the a4 and i really hope the seats and interior components hold up. there's a few others but i keep reminding myself why i bought the car, and that was for the v6 328hp!! at a nice price.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Ron James

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a TSB out for your year about the brake judder issue. Have a look in the TSB section. Had my 09 x Coupe done under warranty a couple of months ago. They'll machine your rotors and install a backing plate that's supposed to fix the issue.