General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

steering wheel cruise control question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 PM
frank.leon002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering wheel cruise control question

So a few months ago I had my steering wheel replaced at the dealer for the usual wear marks. I have an 08 and I'm guessing they replaced it with a newer model year steering wheel. Under the cruise control buttons it has what looks to be a back up sensor button or some type of proximity sensor on/off button. I payed no mind to it at the moment I just checked for my stereo controls and those were fine. This week I went on a road trip and I tried activating my cruise control and it did not set. It only turned on but the set button did not work. Does anyone know if the steering wheel with the extra button have different harness than my original one. Or is my actual cruise control not operating?. Anyway ill take it to the dealer but it will probably be another month before I go in for service again I will try to attach a picture of my current wheel with the extra button. Anyone encounter this problem before?

Name:  IMAG0423.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  55.8 KB
Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 PM
muyrec
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That button is there if you have ICC (intelligent cruise control). It controls the distance you car can be from the one ahead of you. You'll see 3 bars on the little red screen on the cluster. I forgot how much feet each bar is. But 3 bars is basically 4 car lengths, 2 bars is 2 car lengths and 1 bar is one car length. The car also brakes for you when your getting too close to the vehicle due to him braking. It won't completly stop you, it'll stop assisting and then you hear a beep indicating icc is off. Did you try turning it on with traction control off? Cruise control won't work when it's off.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Brian Thompson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't have intelligent cruise control, you might be able to activate the regular cruise control by holding the cruise control on/off button for several seconds. I have the intelligent cruise control and that's what I have to do if I want to use the regular cruise control.

The only pain about that is you'll have to hold the button for several seconds every time you want to use it.

-Brian
Old 09-12-2012, 09:51 PM
frank.leon002

Originally Posted by muyrec
That button is there if you have ICC (intelligent cruise control). It controls the distance you car can be from the one ahead of you. You'll see 3 bars on the little red screen on the cluster. I forgot how much feet each bar is. But 3 bars is basically 4 car lengths, 2 bars is 2 car lengths and 1 bar is one car length. The car also brakes for you when your getting too close to the vehicle due to him braking. It won't completly stop you, it'll stop assisting and then you hear a beep indicating icc is off. Did you try turning it on with traction control off? Cruise control won't work when it's off.
Thanks for the quick response. The thing is that I don't have that icc on my car, my old steering wheel didn't have that button. They must have put the wrong wheel . But thanks for clearing that up for me I thought it was back up sensor button lol
Old 09-12-2012, 09:54 PM
frank.leon002

Originally Posted by Brian Thompson
If you don't have intelligent cruise control, you might be able to activate the regular cruise control by holding the cruise control on/off button for several seconds. I have the intelligent cruise control and that's what I have to do if I want to use the regular cruise control.

The only pain about that is you'll have to hold the button for several seconds every time you want to use it.

-Brian
Thanks Brian ill try that tomorrow. Yea I never really use cruise control I know it worked before I had the steering wheel replaced I went for over 6 months without using the cruise control since I had the steering wheel replaced. But ill give that a shot thanks again.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 PM
frank.leon002

Muyrec I had my vdc on the whole time I never turn it off.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:53 PM
joselitopr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sorry to being off track ,but which usual wear marks are you talking about?
Old 09-13-2012, 11:36 PM
frank.leon002

Faded chipped area by the radio controls
Name:  attachment.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  3.2 KB
Old 09-14-2012, 01:53 AM
joselitopr

Originally Posted by frank.leon002
thanks, its there a tbs for it. i think my is starting to ship out
Old 09-14-2012, 01:54 AM
joselitopr

the pic when open is very small can see anything, but thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 PM
jdhorn88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joselitopr
thanks, its there a tbs for it. i think my is starting to ship out
also interested
Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
There is no TSB. You ask nicely and the dealership will replace it for you if you are still under warranty. They usually give people brand new steering wheels, but I'm not sure if they're still doing this.

Circle Infiniti started selling just the new bezel piece for 30 bucks. If you can take the steering wheel off, you can replace it if you are out of warranty.

I'm not sure if the availability of this piece means dealerships will stop giving people new steering wheels.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:29 PM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

Thanks Brian ill try that tomorrow. Yea I never really use cruise control I know it worked before I had the steering wheel replaced I went for over 6 months without using the cruise control since I had the steering wheel replaced. But ill give that a shot thanks again.
You need the correct stering wheel. It happened to me and went through the same issue. The electrical modules are not compatible. Make sure they get you the right one
Old 12-07-2012, 06:34 AM
roshanill

You shouldn't need to pull the whole console apart to get to the fusebox. Take out the radio, it should just pull right out IIRC, then the pocket beneath it, unsnap the bezel around the lighter, one screw there. Then the fusebox pops out, and you can hold it in your lap if you want to.sell car online