General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Oiled Spark Plug and Heat Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Snypos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oiled Spark Plug and Heat Damage?

While I was going through the 45k mile maintenance items I decided to check my spark plugs and I found a plug with oil on it! I was worried about oil consumption because I checked my oil via the dipstick 3 weeks ago and found it at the low mark and I have heard the stories of oil consumption issues with the g35's and early model g37's. I am at 5k miles since my last oil change and I am using the AMSoil signature series 5w30 full synthetic oil, which I planned to change ever 12k miles. I was an idiot and forgot check my oil level via the dipstick when I did the oil change last time, so I don't know how much oil I am actually losing. I filled the oil to the high mark 3 weeks ago and it hasn't dropped since and I will continue to monitor this closely, but I wanted to check the spark plugs to see if any were oil fouled and sure enough... Although based upon the pictures I have seen online this plug does not appear to be oil fouled, it just had oil (freshly wet) on the threads, but no build up on the tips and insulator. It's hard to say, but the piston head looked to have oil build up on it. I found this issue with just this one spark plug, so it seems I am leaking oil in that cylinder, just not sure where from.

The other spark plug pictured here is in the same condition as the other four plugs (aside from the oiled one). I didn't see any damage or deposit build up, but the tips are very white. Would these plugs fall under the "too hot" damage category or am I just over worrying about it? The gap for all the plugs is good btw (.044').

So my questions are:
Are my plugs getting heat damage?
Has anyone else had oil leak into their cylinder?
If so what did you do to fix it?
Attached Thumbnails Oiled Spark Plug and Heat Damage?-spark-plug.jpg   Oiled Spark Plug and Heat Damage?-spark-plug-with-oil.jpg  
Old 09-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Snypos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Btw, I used this site for reference of spark plug damage indications:

http://www.v6z24.com/mods/howto/imag...gs/plugs19.jpg
Old 09-08-2012, 10:20 PM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you considered talking to the dealer abt this? It should still be under warranty. Btw, your electrodes look totally normal, you have oil on the threads but that could be from oil spilled during filling that crept down to the spark plug well. As you removed the plug, the threads picked up the oil that was sitting in the spark plug well. Just throwing it out there. I've seen it first hand.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:02 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Snypos
While I was going through the 45k mile maintenance items I decided to check my spark plugs and I found a plug with oil on it! I was worried about oil consumption because I checked my oil via the dipstick 3 weeks ago and found it at the low mark and I have heard the stories of oil consumption issues with the g35's and early model g37's. I am at 5k miles since my last oil change and I am using the AMSoil signature series 5w30 full synthetic oil, which I planned to change ever 12k miles. I was an idiot and forgot check my oil level via the dipstick when I did the oil change last time, so I don't know how much oil I am actually losing. I filled the oil to the high mark 3 weeks ago and it hasn't dropped since and I will continue to monitor this closely, but I wanted to check the spark plugs to see if any were oil fouled and sure enough... Although based upon the pictures I have seen online this plug does not appear to be oil fouled, it just had oil (freshly wet) on the threads, but no build up on the tips and insulator. It's hard to say, but the piston head looked to have oil build up on it. I found this issue with just this one spark plug, so it seems I am leaking oil in that cylinder, just not sure where from.

The other spark plug pictured here is in the same condition as the other four plugs (aside from the oiled one). I didn't see any damage or deposit build up, but the tips are very white. Would these plugs fall under the "too hot" damage category or am I just over worrying about it? The gap for all the plugs is good btw (.044').

So my questions are:
Are my plugs getting heat damage?
Has anyone else had oil leak into their cylinder?
If so what did you do to fix it?
You're running lean.