General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

leak near rear differential

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 PM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Just like in the picture I dropped the diff out took the sways everything out and I drilled a couple holes into the rear dif bushing stuck a hack saw with a metal cutting blade in and cut the rear bushing out because there was no give. Ill take a picture once I'm off work
Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 PM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
I didnt have a press or a tool big enough to pull this out. remember when doing this do it from the inside out towards the rear of the car. If you try to force the bushing out towards the front it will not come out. Same goes for installation it will be put in from the back

I drilled a couple holes for the saw to fit in which would allow for over 1mm to be taken off of the bushing because this thing was not coming out with a hammer
Name:  FVxnJOP.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  28.9 KB

Name:  khFkfoy.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  30.1 KB
I pried a bit back to give me more wiggle room and it fell right out after a bit of a fight
Name:  4h8OPV3.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  32.7 KB

Just remember to take some course sand paper and sand the inside of the bushing walls, removing all the old rust. This it will make the install much easier

I bet of you took a chisel to the corners and hammered them inward it would work as well but I never tried that on the rear but thats how I got the differential "ear" bushing out. I hammered the chisel right into where the bushing sits with the ear to make some room for my bearing press to get some grip
Name:  4XHfAIN.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  239.6 KB

I used this tool but with longer claws to push the bushing out.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:17 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
FRACK!!
I felt something weird driving today, looked under, and my bushing just blew!!

Let's see what the dealer has to say with all my rear suspension mods!!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:45 PM
eVitO

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
FRACK!!
I felt something weird driving today, looked under, and my bushing just blew!!

Let's see what the dealer has to say with all my rear suspension mods!!
What did the dealer say? I'm curious what they would tell me too, seeing as I have camber arms but no toe bolts.

I'm curious, but not curious to have my warranty just voided on the spot.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:07 PM
xeroed

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just finished reverse engineering a solution to this, and am having a machine shop fab up an aluminum and urethane replacement, because it's utter horsesh.. that there is not a replacement offered other than an SPL solid. No one that wants to keep their NVH reasonable would put a solid in. I'm going to start with an 80A durometer insert to see how the mount reacts under load, but I have designed my solution to utilize stock urethane tube sizes so if i want to try out a different stiffness they only need to be cut to length and not machined or molded. The urethane can also be replaced once the unit is installed, just remove the center bolt, pull the collar and remove the urethane insert. The OD collar stays in the subframe.

I'll post pics and let everyone know how it turns out in a few weeks once the unit has been fabbed and installed.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:03 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Originally Posted by eVitO
What did the dealer say? I'm curious what they would tell me too, seeing as I have camber arms but no toe bolts.

I'm curious, but not curious to have my warranty just voided on the spot.
They can't VOID your warranty for this, only deny certain repairs.

Since the diff is mounted to the subframe, any suspension change would not affect it. At least the mounting bushing. If it were the CV joints, they could use the angle excuse.

I haven't been there yet,my warranty is good for 8 years 120,000 miles!!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:58 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Bushings like this are intentionally a few nanometers larger than the hole so that they fit tightly. Do you mean it's a few millimeters too big? That's different. The urethane ones are much easier to fit if you freeze them as hard as possible before installing. I wonder if this would work... Also what about the other two bushings, how did they fit?

Thanks for the photo. I may try the Whiteline urethane set and simply mill off as much as I need to if it is too big.
Jeremy:

The info from SPL:

G35 bushing.......75.3mm
G37 bushing.......73.8mm

Im sure you or I can lathe off 1.5mm from a Urethane Whiteline bushing!!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Jeremy:

The info from SPL:

G35 bushing.......75.3mm
G37 bushing.......73.8mm

Im sure you or I can lathe off 1.5mm from a Urethane Whiteline bushing!!
Good info. Not only do I now know it's doable, but I know how to do it. It's on the list. Just not at the top. Kind of halfway down. Just got one thing scratched off last week, got to move on to a couple of other things before show season gets into full swing.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Good info. Not only do I now know it's doable, but I know how to do it. It's on the list. Just not at the top. Kind of halfway down. Just got one thing scratched off last week, got to move on to a couple of other things before show season gets into full swing.
We might not need to grind too much, its urethane.
Freezing wont work, by the time you run from the freezer, bolt it on to the diff cover, lift the diff, line up the bushing, push the diff back with the bushing attached, its back to size,

You cant use liquid nitrogen, nor dry ice, as the urethane will break.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:03 PM
eVitO

Someone at the370z.com said that they fit the poly whiteline 350z bushing into their 370. Granted Z1 did the install for him, but I'm sure any reasonably intelligent shop would be able to do the same.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by eVitO
Someone at the370z.com said that they fit the poly whiteline 350z bushing into their 370. Granted Z1 did the install for him, but I'm sure any reasonably intelligent shop would be able to do the same.
Not saying it's not true, but do you have a link to that? I'm curious as to what they had to to to make it work. Need to be armed with as much info as possible for when the time comes for me to do it.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:21 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Not saying it's not true, but do you have a link to that? I'm curious as to what they had to to to make it work. Need to be armed with as much info as possible for when the time comes for me to do it.
Nissan 370Z Forum - View Single Post - Differential bushing

Here's Z1's acknowlegment, at least its not a denial!!

I believe it can be done with NO mods. Urethane is compliant!!

Last edited by TVPostSound; 03-01-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

I have sent an email to John at Z1, if this is in fact true, Im ordering a set Monday!!

Cmon Jeremy lets jump in the pool together!!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I have sent an email to John at Z1, if this is in fact true, Im ordering a set Monday!!

Cmon Jeremy lets jump in the pool together!!
I'm going to stand here on the side and wait for you to tell me how the water is.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:02 AM
eVitO

^ Thanks for getting to it before me lol.

Quick Reply: leak near rear differential