General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

leak near rear differential

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 01:17 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
I see no reason why the Whiteline bushing will not work on a G37.370Z.

The whiteline bushing does not get pressed into the crossmember.
I bolts to the differential, and becomes an interference fit when it gets pushed back into the crossmember. Urethane has some give, unlike the solid ones.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/ins...des/Z5206A.pdf

Last edited by TVPostSound; 01-19-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:22 PM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
isnt an interference fit the same thing as a press fit? would the white line allow for more movement because its not pressed in? Im asking these questions because I dont know
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Originally Posted by unknowndesi
isnt an interference fit the same thing as a press fit? would the white line allow for more movement because its not pressed in? Im asking these questions because I dont know
Press fit is just that, you need great force to install it.

The Whiteline looks like a ball, the instructions say to install the bushing on the diff and bolt it, then push the diff with bushing into the hole.
Im sure if the G37 opening is only slightly smaller, that urethane bushing would have some ability to compress to fit in.

Look at the pic, and pdf I supplied.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Has anyone measured the opening for the differential bushing? Whiteline provides the exact dimensions of all of their bushings. An accurate measurement of the hole in the crossmember will tell us definitively if it fits or not.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:03 PM
eVitO

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Press fit is just that, you need great force to install it.

The Whiteline looks like a ball, the instructions say to install the bushing on the diff and bolt it, then push the diff with bushing into the hole.
Im sure if the G37 opening is only slightly smaller, that urethane bushing would have some ability to compress to fit in.

Look at the pic, and pdf I supplied.
Just curious, have you installed this on your car? Trying to figure out what I can do with mine...
Old 01-23-2013, 05:31 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Originally Posted by eVitO
Just curious, have you installed this on your car? Trying to figure out what I can do with mine...
No, I haven't, but all logic dictates it should fit.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:30 PM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

It would be a hard fit regardless. The 350 bushing is couple NM bigger, someone on the370 forums installed the 350z spl bushing and it had to be machined to fit. Even the with it being rounded off and being made out of urethane would mean it would have to be pressed in since the diameter of the 370/g37 sub frame bushing hole is a couple nm smaller than the 350.

Thats a picture of the SPL 350z bushing that had to be machined to fit into a 370 subframe. The regular ones are coated blue all around and the 370 version has a black coating
Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Bushings like this are intentionally a few nanometers larger than the hole so that they fit tightly. Do you mean it's a few millimeters too big? That's different. The urethane ones are much easier to fit if you freeze them as hard as possible before installing. I wonder if this would work... Also what about the other two bushings, how did they fit?

Thanks for the photo. I may try the Whiteline urethane set and simply mill off as much as I need to if it is too big.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 PM
eVitO

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Bushings like this are intentionally a few nanometers larger than the hole so that they fit tightly. Do you mean it's a few millimeters too big? That's different. The urethane ones are much easier to fit if you freeze them as hard as possible before installing. I wonder if this would work... Also what about the other two bushings, how did they fit?

Thanks for the photo. I may try the Whiteline urethane set and simply mill off as much as I need to if it is too big.
Let me know how that goes. I'll probably end up doing the same thing.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by eVitO
Let me know how that goes. I'll probably end up doing the same thing.
Great! Wait for me to be the guinea pig!

It may be a while before I do it. It makes sense to me to wait until I'm going to already have the differential out to do the 4.08 gear swap to save a little bit on labor by doing the bushings at the same time so I only have to remove and replace it once. That's not at the top of my list of expenditures but it's on there.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 AM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty

SPL make two different differential kits one for the 350z and one for the 370z. The picture above is one of the 350z bushings that was milled to fit into the 370z subframe, when SPL made them they thought that the 350z bushing would fit the 370z without any modification but the 370z subframe hole is a couple nanometer smaller than the 350z. At this point a lot of the guys that were trying to install the 350z kit couldnt get the damn bushing to squeeze on, even getting the bushing fed into the 370z subframe hole was a problem. SPL created two different kits one that was blue in colour made for the 350z and on a later note created one that is black for the 370z. As far as the other two bushings no modification was needed you could use either or for the "ears" of the differential. When I installed the solid bushing I froze it for over 3 days and I still had to press it in. Make sure when you pull the old bushing out you clean the hole in the subframe with some sand paper and WD-40 the crap out of the hole before the bushing is pressed in.

This one is for the 370z

This one is for the 350z

that silver disc is used to press the bushing out its a couple NM smaller than the actual bushing. If you're going to install the whiteline bushing I'm almost certain you're going to have to mill that thing down to size unless urethane shrinks a significant amount when you freeze it. Keep us posted BB

this is after the 370z bushing was pressed into my G's subframe see how none of it sticks out like the blue 350z one that was modified to fit the 370z
leak near rear differential-73dwywd.jpg

I still owe you guys that cabin video... its coming soon as the snow start to clear

Last edited by unknowndesi; 01-24-2013 at 12:58 AM. Reason: sperring
Old 01-24-2013, 01:12 AM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Differential bushing - Page 3 - Nissan 370Z Forum

Originally Posted by M.Bonanni
Alright, just talked to someone at Whiteline, the 350Z ones they just released WILL NOT fit on the 370Z. No official word yet on the release of 370Z specific ones.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:33 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Originally Posted by unknowndesi
It would be a hard fit regardless. The 350 bushing is couple NM bigger, someone on the370 forums installed the 350z spl bushing and it had to be machined to fit. Even the with it being rounded off and being made out of urethane would mean it would have to be pressed in since the diameter of the 370/g37 sub frame bushing hole is a couple nm smaller than the 350.

Thats a picture of the SPL 350z bushing that had to be machined to fit into a 370 subframe. The regular ones are coated blue all around and the 370 version has a black coating
I dont disagree, but there is absolutely no give on a solid metal bushing.
I'm thinking the urethane can be pushed in without much pressure, if you say only a few nm. Urethane will compress.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Awesome info, thanks for that. Did you remove the subframe entirely to press it in or did you press it in with the subframe still on the car?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:20 PM
eVitO

So what's the verdict? Which poly bushing fits?

Quick Reply: leak near rear differential