General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Storing my car for a year

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Hliang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Storing my car for a year

Yes it's another storage thread, but I just wanted to get your input to see if I am missing anything or doing something wrong or if you have any suggestions.

I'll be getting a PNO so my car is not moving from my garage for a year while I am away in China.

So I'm planning on
1.Change the oil
2. Top off fuel and pour stabilizer into the tank.
3.Top off all other fluids
4. Do a complete detail of car.
5. Fill tires to max psi
6. Store the car in gear.
7.Pull the battery out of the car.
8.Stuff a rag into tail pipe.

Am I missing anything? This will be my first time storing it for this long.
I can have someone starting it and idling it if needed, but no one will be driving it.

Thanks everyone
Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 PM
mikaly
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like a good list! For extra precaution, I've seen car manufactures recommend that you keep your stored car on jackstands (only if the garage is level) to eliminate possible flat spots on your tires from being in the same spot too long.

However, many people do what you do and pump up the PSI, which should probably be okay!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Hliang

Thanks a lot!

So I don't have a trickle charger, do you think that will be a huge problem?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Sinecure

I assume you know that all the memory settings will be gone when you get back. If you put a trickle charger on there, you could leave the battery in. Either way would probably be fine. I wouldn't worry too much about flat spots on the tires. They'll go away fairly quickly anyway.

Be sure to pour in the gas stabilizer before you fill the tank, and drive it for a mile or so before storing it so that the stabilizer makes it through the fuel line.

Or you could sell me your car and I'll sell you a nice new one when you get back.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Hliang

Yea the memory settings is no problem to me. Thanks for that, the flat spots were one of my concerns but I'm glad to hear it goes away fairly quickly.

and haha I'll sell you mine if you're willing to sell me a gtr for the same price when I come back.. haha
Old 08-16-2012, 01:15 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
There's a transport/storage switch that will kill off power to most/all of the electronics. They use that when shipping the cars so they batteries don't die while at port. Probably wouldn't hurt to trip that. I'd still leave it on the trickle charge too.

Rodents are something else to keep in mind. They have an affinity toward the vinyl covering on wires.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:59 AM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
If you have a trusting family member you can have them drive your car once a month to keep all the fluids going and they can save the recite for you to reimburse them. Like gas, oil change.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:07 AM
Hliang

Registration is PNO and my insurance is suspended right when I leave so my parent's don't want to risk it so they aren't driving it and my little brother doesn't have a license so that's even worse/I don't trust him with my car hahaha.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:13 AM
Sinecure

Originally Posted by Jsolo
There's a transport/storage switch that will kill off power to most/all of the electronics. They use that when shipping the cars so they batteries don't die while at port. Probably wouldn't hurt to trip that. I'd still leave it on the trickle charge too.
Won't make any difference if he's disconnecting the battery. It isn't really a switch. If you look inside your fuse compartment (near hood release lever), you'll see a large white 'fuse'. That's the transportation fuse. Pushed in, it's in normal mode. Pulled out a notch, it's in transport mode. Car does really weird things if it is pulled out. Most electronics don't work, blinkers flash, etc.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:12 AM
zoner

I wonder if you could get a historical/classic insurer to issue you a very limited miles policy for your situation (20 miles or less a month).
Old 09-06-2012, 10:55 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Hliang
Registration is PNO and my insurance is suspended right when I leave so my parent's don't want to risk it so they aren't driving it and my little brother doesn't have a license so that's even worse/I don't trust him with my car hahaha.
As another poster said, you may want to make sure the car is insured. If anything happens to it, fire or whatever, you'd be out of luck. You need the comprehensive. I don't know how PNO works, but if the car has a loan on it or leased I would think some coverage is needed.