General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Car in Fail Safe Mode and Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:15 AM
maloy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car in Fail Safe Mode and Oil Pressure

My 09 G37 recently went into a fail safe mode with a Check Engine Light on, where it can't exceed 2500 RPM. Since it is just over 60,000 miles, I only have the powertrain warranty left. I figured since the CEL is on, it would be easy for the dealer to diagnose it. Over a week ago they told me it is an issue with oil pressure, and they will need to replace gaskets and cam covers, which is covered by the powertrain. I do not know enough about oil pressure, but should I be concerned that a car with still relatively low miles has these issues?

Anyway, I picked the car up this week after the work was done, and at first it had a very rough idle, which then went away, and the tech explained that it may be the ECM getting used to the changes. Less than 20 miles of driving, and it goes into fail safe again - and back to the dealer it goes. The dealer has not yet gotten back to me about what the problem is.

Now I have read that common problems that lead to similar fair safe can be various sensors like the Air-Flow sensor Again, I think that if CEL is on the dealer of all places should be able to tell what is wrong, but my confidence in them is waning. Could it just be some sensor failing, like oil pressure? Can anyone opine as to possible issues, or has anyone experienced similar supposed problems with oil pressure?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:17 AM
maloy

Oh, and oil level was fine before the issue started. I always changed it at 3,500 - 4,000 interval. It was in fact changed just a week prior to when it first went into fail safe, at the dealer (Pennzoil synthetic). They changed it again when they did the first repair.

Last edited by maloy; 07-21-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:29 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
What were the codes reported on your repair order?
Old 07-22-2012, 01:25 AM
maloy

The code appears to be P0524 - low oil pressure. The repair order states that gasket on rear timing cover blown out. Assuming it is the same thing that happened the second time, it is there likely a more serious issue that caused it to blow out?
Old 07-22-2012, 12:03 PM
itech

Talk about frustrating!! While it is unfortunate that you had to return to the dealer a second time, try not to lose confidence in them.

I've seen this issue just a few times over the years. Considering the number of these vehicles on the road, the gasket failure you described is not at all considered to be common.

The good thing is that your warranty is covering the costs! If anything else has failed or a mistake has been made by the dealer causing you to have to return, they should take care of it!

Please let us know what the dealer says!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:03 PM
maloy

Thanks for the response. At least it is reassuring that I am not the only one with this problem. What I am concerned about is whether there is a higher threat of this happening, now that it happened once? My powertrain is not going to last forever, and I have to drive the car a lot (20,000+ miles per year). At least I got to drive a brand new G37 rental for several weeks.