General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Floor jack recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:18 PM
mprog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Floor jack recommendation?

Anyone have a good low profile, high max height and reliable floor jack recommendation?

Hopefully <$200

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 PM
stickstickly

If you have a Costco near you, they carry a nice Arcan 3.25 ton jack that is real solid for $104.99. I have been real happy with it.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:37 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Low Profile Floor Jack - 2 Ton, Rapid Pump® Jack

Is long enough to reach back to the front jack point. There's always coupons and sales. A must if you're lowered, even though you'll still need a 1in thick block of wood to clear the car (again, only if you're riding low on coils).
Old 06-13-2012, 11:56 AM
navecm
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Keep in mind, you get what you pay for. I have bought cheap jacks in the past only for them to break and be past the warranty period. I'm still looking for a quality jack myself but have heard good things about the Harbor Freight one.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:27 PM
J2S2M

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by stickstickly
If you have a Costco near you, they carry a nice Arcan 3.25 ton jack that is real solid for $104.99. I have been real happy with it.
^ This.

But keep in mind that this is NOT a race/low profile jack. However, this jack is not aluminum so it's heavy as hell but VERY solid in quality. If you're slammed, then you need some 2x4's or a race ramp to get it on the jack. You know that this is a quality jack b/c you find in many auto shops or tire shops everywhere.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:14 PM
stickstickly

Originally Posted by J2S2M
^ This.

But keep in mind that this is NOT a race/low profile jack. However, this jack is not aluminum so it's heavy as hell but VERY solid in quality. If you're slammed, then you need some 2x4's or a race ramp to get it on the jack. You know that this is a quality jack b/c you find in many auto shops or tire shops everywhere.
Umm...it is low profile. Says so right on the package. It is just like this one. And you are right, it is one heavy beast!
Amazon.com: Arcan 3 1/2-Ton Jack - Red Professional Low Profile Garage Floor Jack XL35R: Automotive Amazon.com: Arcan 3 1/2-Ton Jack - Red Professional Low Profile Garage Floor Jack XL35R: Automotive
Old 06-13-2012, 05:23 PM
J2S2M

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by stickstickly
Umm...it is low profile. Says so right on the package. It is just like this one. And you are right, it is one heavy beast!
Amazon.com: Arcan 3 1/2-Ton Jack - Red Professional Low Profile Garage Floor Jack XL35R: Automotive
They call it a "low profile" jack. But it's not as low as some of the other ones out there. I was never able to get my car under it w/o a ramp and I was only on springs.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:53 AM
mprog

Thanks for the recommendations!
The Harbor Freight one looks really nice... I'll have to check out the Arcan next time I'm at Costco.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:15 AM
shivers

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I've got this one - Arcan Quick Lift Professional Service Jack — 3 1/2-Ton, Model# XL35 | Floor Jacks| Northern Tool + Equipment

It was the lowest profile with the highest lift I could find. It's heavy, but it works great. It's low enough to fit under my old s2000 and lifted high enough to get my old FJ off the ground even after I installed a lift-kit.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My friend has this one. Super low and heavy load.

Neiko 20272B 3 Ton Double Plunger Low Profile Aluminum Floor Jack
Old 06-14-2012, 10:27 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Another vote for the Arcan, i've had mine for nearly 3 years now. Great jack!
Arcan Quick Lift Service Jack

It's low-profile and has a long platform (or whatever you call it) so for non-lowered vehicles it's easy to slide it right to the front jacking point. The low-profile jacks i tested from HF were indeed low-profile, but it rakes towards the end and would end up getting stuck by the front bumper before the jack mount can reach its destination. Thank goodness for HF return policies!

Dropped or not, it reaches the rear pumpkin just fine, too!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Another vote for the Arcan, i've had mine for nearly 3 years now. Great jack!
Arcan Quick Lift Service Jack

It's low-profile and has a long platform (or whatever you call it) so for non-lowered vehicles it's easy to slide it right to the front jacking point. The low-profile jacks i tested from HF were indeed low-profile, but it rakes towards the end and would end up getting stuck by the front bumper before the jack mount can reach its destination. Thank goodness for HF return policies!

Dropped or not, it reaches the rear pumpkin just fine, too!
That's the only problem that I've had with the HF one, hence why I suggested a 2X4 or something like that to drive the front wheels on. I've used the HF one for about 6 months now and it's been excellent. It's also heavy as a motha! lol

I got it for a great price too.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
That's the only problem that I've had with the HF one, hence why I suggested a 2X4 or something like that to drive the front wheels on. I've used the HF one for about 6 months now and it's been excellent. It's also heavy as a motha! lol

I got it for a great price too.
If you have a smaller second jack, try lifting from the side rails just a couple of inches. I'm dropped (similar to Eibach) and this allows enough clearance for the big jack to slide under the front. It's a lot less of a hassle than driving on ramps.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Buckeye G

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I got this one for christmas and I love it. I can get it under my car just fine and Im down on coils. Its not aluminum so its heavy but works great. Jack lift range is 2 3/4 in. to 20 in. Jack pad is removable, is 5 1/2 in. diameter, 5/8 in. thick and has a 1 in. receiver pin.

Summit Racing SUM-G1020 - Summit Racing® Low-Profile Hydraulic Floor Jacks - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 AM
AZ37

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I need a new floor jack and was ready to buy the Arcan based on above recommendations but found this at Costco:

NOS 2 Ton Aluminum Service Jack by PowerStation

Wondering if anyone has one and if so how well does it perform? 3.5in low lift height up to 19in max height and it only weighs 49lbs.

Quick Reply: Floor jack recommendation?