General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Bodyshop having trouble with my car.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:14 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Bodyshop having trouble with my car.

As some of you know I was in a rear end collision a month and half ago. Well, I thought my car was done but after checking my trunk button on the light I saw it would not open. The key fob would pop the trunk though. I went back to the body shop and they tried an antenna (sensor) from another infiniti and it worked, so they figured it was the antenna. Fast forward, they get the part in and low and behold, it does not work (why they didn't research this beforehand I will never know). They take it over to service and they can't figure it out. I then get a call stating that it could be the BCM short circuiting. I'm like huh, the BCM? How the hell could it be the BCM (located no where near the trunk). The fact that the sensor from the other g37 worked at one time should rule out the BCM being faulty, no? I really don't want them replacing my perfectly good body control module when they don't have to. Thoughts?
Old 05-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Electrical gremlins can be tricky. However if they want to replace the BCM because they've determined it to be the culprit, why is that a problem? If you believe it isn't the problem and you turn out to be correct, you could just have them put your original one back in. Although I don't know why you don't why you'd be against a new one.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:36 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Electrical gremlins can be tricky. However if they want to replace the BCM because they've determined it to be the culprit, why is that a problem? If you believe it isn't the problem and you turn out to be correct, you could just have them put your original one back in. Although I don't know why you don't why you'd be against a new one.
Because I don't want them tearing apart the interior (where is the damn thing located anyway?) I just find it hard to believe the BCM is now faulty because of a rear end collision. However, if it fixes the problem then so be it. I'm just asking here if it even seems plausible.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Gotcha. Although I don't think accessing the BCM is as big a deal as you might imagine. I'm pretty sure it's easily accessible in the passenger side kick panel.

It seems really odd that you got it to work with an antenna and then after that it wouldn't work when a new one was installed.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I doubt it's a problem with the BCM. When the BCM goes, it usually cause multiple problems, rather than having one isolate problem. When diagnosing a problem, always start with the thing that was changed most recently. In your case, an accident in the rear.

If it's not a problem with the antenna, then I would check the wiring and the switch. If they took it over to the dealership, then a definitive diagnosis should've been made.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:08 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Modme
I doubt it's a problem with the BCM. When the BCM goes, it usually cause multiple problems, rather than having one isolate problem. When diagnosing a problem, always start with the thing that was changed most recently. In your case, an accident in the rear.

If it's not a problem with the antenna, then I would check the wiring and the switch. If they took it over to the dealership, then a definitive diagnosis should've been made.
Exactly my thoughts.

The dealership is the one who told them so now I'm even more concerned about the competency of their service department. Man, this accident has been one problem after another with no end in sight.