General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Advice - Plugging a hole in door jamb

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 01:08 PM
spitfire9200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice - Plugging a hole in door jamb

Hey guys,

When I bought my car I noticed a cut-rate PDR guy drilled a hole in my door jamb . I plugged the hole and then sealed it off with some silicone I got at home depot. I just had a quick question, I used GE SILICONE II that said I can use it on metal and it's water/freeze/sun proof, but hear a lot of people prefer RTV silicone.

I think it's sealed good and i've been told by a different PDR that these doors are treated so heavily with zinc and anti-rust agents that it's almost impossible for it to create any damage anyway. I can take a pic if necessary, the hole is right by the rear window on the corner of that molding piece that has the 2 fasteners. The edge of it does line up directly with the gap between the door and the body panel so it does see rain and water.

Should I just leave it alone, or take off the Silicone II and use RTV silicone?

thanks in advance. Pic attached of what I used.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by spitfire9200; 02-29-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
RTV is more for gaskets. That silicone should be OK
Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Z gave way to G

Uhh.... that PDR guy who says not to worry about corrosion has no clue of what he is talking about!! The simple fact of a hole being drilled in the jamb, makes for a corrosive "hot spot." Not to mention the factory E coat that was scratched off by the PDR pick tools. My recommendation is to take your car to a respected collision shop and have them apply rust-proofing inside the PDR hole. Then either have them weld and fill the hole or have them install the plug for you using an automotive grade adhesive. Hope this helps
Old 02-29-2012, 02:31 PM
spitfire9200

Originally Posted by Tazicon
RTV is more for gaskets. That silicone should be OK
Thanks for the reply, I heard RTV is more for gaskets, but some people used it for it's durability to sealing/adhesion.

Originally Posted by Z gave way to G
Uhh.... that PDR guy who says not to worry about corrosion has no clue of what he is talking about!! The simple fact of a hole being drilled in the jamb, makes for a corrosive "hot spot." Not to mention the factory E coat that was scratched off by the PDR pick tools. My recommendation is to take your car to a respected collision shop and have them apply rust-proofing inside the PDR hole. Then either have them weld and fill the hole or have them install the plug for you using an automotive grade adhesive. Hope this helps
My body guy looked at it, and he said welding would be complicated and probably look worse and f it up more. He said rust isn't a big concern unless I keep the car for over 10 years. Your post was informative, but isn't that a little paranoid?

anymore input appreciated guys

Last edited by spitfire9200; 02-29-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:35 PM
spitfire9200

I also want to mention this is a convertible, and the hole is less than an 1/2". How would a shop even be able to "rust proof" the inside? The vert has double sheeted doors so if you take off the door panel you can't get in the door (I believe?).
Old 02-29-2012, 09:21 PM
spitfire9200

anyone else have any insight?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Z gave way to G

Originally Posted by spitfire9200
I also want to mention this is a convertible, and the hole is less than an 1/2". How would a shop even be able to "rust proof" the inside? The vert has double sheeted doors so if you take off the door panel you can't get in the door (I believe?).
I manage a collision shop and am an industry trainer, so I know a little bit about this stuff . A flexible wand can be used inside the hole. The rust-proofing is usually applied with this sort of wand.

My guys have personally welded holes on my personal vehicles when "shaving" items for me. They come out flawless.

This is your car my man. I'm just trying to give you insight and alert you to worst case scenarios. Ultimately, you do whatever you feel most comfortable with.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 PM
spitfire9200

I manage a collision shop and am an industry trainer, so I know a little bit about this stuff . A flexible wand can be used inside the hole. The rust-proofing is usually applied with this sort of wand.

My guys have personally welded holes on my personal vehicles when "shaving" items for me. They come out flawless.

This is your car my man. I'm just trying to give you insight and alert you to worst case scenarios. Ultimately, you do whatever you feel most comfortable with.
hmm.. I called the best body shop around here, they said that they could do it for about $500 - $700 (yikes!) because it would be complicated especially because it's on the rear quarter panel not the door. He also said every PDR that drills holes like that will plug it and seal it with some silicone and stand behind it for life (same thing I did)

Since i'm familiar with their shop, he said off the record that it should be fine and going behind the door, taking everything apart, and tack welding/sealing/painting might cause more problems than help due to the location as well as it being a convertible (all the bracing makes it more difficult)

Z gave way to G, would you agree?

Last edited by spitfire9200; 02-29-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:09 AM
spitfire9200

anyone, crickets?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Z gave way to G

Originally Posted by spitfire9200
hmm.. I called the best body shop around here, they said that they could do it for about $500 - $700 (yikes!) because it would be complicated especially because it's on the rear quarter panel not the door. He also said every PDR that drills holes like that will plug it and seal it with some silicone and stand behind it for life (same thing I did)

Since i'm familiar with their shop, he said off the record that it should be fine and going behind the door, taking everything apart, and tack welding/sealing/painting might cause more problems than help due to the location as well as it being a convertible (all the bracing makes it more difficult)

Z gave way to G, would you agree?
I would have to agree with that. I would give the same advice to a customer of mine. I just wanted you to have all the information to make the best judgement for you. Everyone has a different outlook on such things.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:35 AM
spitfire9200

I would have to agree with that. I would give the same advice to a customer of mine. I just wanted you to have all the information to make the best judgement for you. Everyone has a different outlook on such things.
Hey man thanks again for following up! I appreciate it.

If anyone else has any experience opinions feel free to chime in.