General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

E brake question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:54 PM
SlateBlue G

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
E brake question

Is there a way I can tighten the e brake cable on my 6mt?I have to pull it up so high now to stay in place.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Go somewhere you have plenty of open space. Drive the car in reverse wit the ebrake firmly engaged. Do this several times.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:02 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
^^Sounds like the old way of adjusting drum brakes with the auto adjusters. Probably prone to the same issues those adjusters had too -- seizing up from non use (the adjusters that is).
Old 02-09-2012, 03:28 PM
SlateBlue G

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Go somewhere you have plenty of open space. Drive the car in reverse wit the ebrake firmly engaged. Do this several times.
I always thought there was a adjusting nut on the ebrake assembly.i will try this method today.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
There is an adjusting nut. Peel off the rubber finisher piece right under the ebrake. Pull the ebrake up and you will see the adjusting nut.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I honestly do not know if the method I mentioned will actually work. It might, I've never tried it in this car.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:47 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
To adjust the parking brake, jack up the rear of the G to get both rear tires off the ground, support with stands.

Remove both wheels.

Remove small rubber plugs from rotor hats.

Once the plug is removed, rotate the rotor such that when looking through the newly created hole (by removing the plug) you can see the parking brake adjuster wheel.

Rotate the wheel until it doesn't move anymore using a brake spoon or Flathead screwdriver. Try to rotate the rotor now, if the rotor still moves, then you have rotated the adjuster the wrong way, turn it the opposite way until it won't turn anymore, check again.

Once the rotor is not moving anymore, back off one click at a time until the rotor starts to move again. From this point, back off the adjuster another 3 clicks. Repeat on the other side (driver's side or passenger's side). Apply and release the parking brake a few times - make sure the rotors can still be moved with the parking brake unapplied. You should hear mostly a quiet rotation with an occasional rub - this is because the shoes float in the rotor hat and some small amount of occasional rubbing is normal.

Lift up the parking brake lever one click, and try to move both rotors, you should feel some resistance now and you want to make sure it feels similar on both sides. Proceed by lifting up a second click and again check to make sure both sides have the same amount of resistance. After another click or two, both rotors will be very difficult to move. At this point you have adjusted the parking brake.

If the lever to set the parking brake still has excessive travel, only then should you remove the interior finisher cover and adjust the cable adjusting nut for the parking brake - adjusting the parking brake nut before properly adjusting each set of shoes will not only adjust the brake incorrectly, but can make it difficult in the future to properly adjust the shoes.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:43 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I honestly do not know if the method I mentioned will actually work. It might, I've never tried it in this car.
Disappointed.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:48 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

I would add to what bythabay said above. Before turning the shoe adjuster, rotate both L & R wheels in both directions to get a feel for what the diff/driveline resistance feels like without any resistance from the shoes.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:58 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
I would just like to reemphasize that the goal here is to adjust the parking brake shoes first, then the cable tension and not just the cable tension.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by hobbs
Disappointed.
I didn't just pull that out of my butt. It works on my older Nissan car so I threw it out there. If it didn't adjust the brake there is no harm done. But I just wanted to clarify that I was not 100% certain that it would solve his problem. I was only trying to suggest something that could possibly help and couldn't hurt.

Last edited by Black Betty; 02-09-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-09-2012, 10:27 PM
SlateBlue G

Thanks guys.i don't get how the cable can get so loose over a 4 year span
Old 02-10-2012, 12:52 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Brake shoe wear?
Old 02-10-2012, 02:08 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mine was very loose too. Fixed at the 30k service.

Actually at 29k now...in 4 years, thats not much driving, lol.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:30 AM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bythabay
To adjust the parking brake, jack up the rear of the G to get both rear tires off the ground, support with stands.

Remove both wheels.

Remove small rubber plugs from rotor hats.

Once the plug is removed, rotate the rotor such that when looking through the newly created hole (by removing the plug) you can see the parking brake adjuster wheel.

Rotate the wheel until it doesn't move anymore using a brake spoon or Flathead screwdriver. Try to rotate the rotor now, if the rotor still moves, then you have rotated the adjuster the wrong way, turn it the opposite way until it won't turn anymore, check again.

Once the rotor is not moving anymore, back off one click at a time until the rotor starts to move again. From this point, back off the adjuster another 3 clicks. Repeat on the other side (driver's side or passenger's side). Apply and release the parking brake a few times - make sure the rotors can still be moved with the parking brake unapplied. You should hear mostly a quiet rotation with an occasional rub - this is because the shoes float in the rotor hat and some small amount of occasional rubbing is normal.

Lift up the parking brake lever one click, and try to move both rotors, you should feel some resistance now and you want to make sure it feels similar on both sides. Proceed by lifting up a second click and again check to make sure both sides have the same amount of resistance. After another click or two, both rotors will be very difficult to move. At this point you have adjusted the parking brake.

If the lever to set the parking brake still has excessive travel, only then should you remove the interior finisher cover and adjust the cable adjusting nut for the parking brake - adjusting the parking brake nut before properly adjusting each set of shoes will not only adjust the brake incorrectly, but can make it difficult in the future to properly adjust the shoes.

So glad I decided to look here first... I was replacing that black coin pocket where the cup holders are (they barely qualify as such...lol), and saw the parking brake tension nut and was thinking about tightening it a little as I have a little overtravel on my e-brake...

I should try to do this first then, thanks for the instructions!