General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Battery dying not charging??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Kueneman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery dying not charging??

so i put my 2008 g37 in the nice warm garage for the winter... figured if i started her up every week and ran the rpms up for a bit it would keep the battery charged.... now the battery seems dead and had to boost it to get her to start... is it safe to take out the battery without having to reprogram the car and keys to trickle charge the battery? and if not is it safe to just leave it hooked up and trickle charge it? its looking like the battery is shot or its not getting charged enough so im trying to figure out what i should do.... any help is great. thanks!

Kueneman
Old 01-18-2012, 10:00 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kueneman
so i put my 2008 g37 in the nice warm garage for the winter... figured if i started her up every week and ran the rpms up for a bit it would keep the battery charged.... now the battery seems dead and had to boost it to get her to start... is it safe to take out the battery without having to reprogram the car and keys to trickle charge the battery? and if not is it safe to just leave it hooked up and trickle charge it? its looking like the battery is shot or its not getting charged enough so im trying to figure out what i should do.... any help is great. thanks!

Kueneman
Buy a smart charger. They cost $20 to $30. I have 2. One is a .75 amp that I leave hooked up to my motorcycle whenever it is parked in the garage. The other is a 1.5 amp that I use on my cars. If your battery is really discharged it will take at least 24 to 48 hours to completely charge it using a 1.5 amp. You don't have to disconnect the battery from the car and you can leave the smart charger hooked up for as long as you want. It wont overcharge the battery.
Hook the smart charger up whenever you leave your car sit for a long time.
I have neighbors that leave the battery in their cars hooked up to a smart charger for 6 or more months at a time, since they only come down for the winter and they leave a car here while they are gone.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:38 PM
benvwin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dealer MIGHT be able to to give you a bigger batter and reprogram your car under a TBS. Thats what happened to my car when my car wouldn't start up, it was because something was draining the battery in the car.

I don't think you'd have to reprogram the key or the car if you take out the battery. My brother left my car on (not the engine running but just the electricity) on for a whole 4 days and it drained my battery on the way. I just jumped the car and it ran fine after that. I just had to redo the clock. [This incident was not the one that caused me to bring my car in].