General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Remote start G37 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:25 PM
goparaju

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote start G37 AWD

Hi,

I am looking to see how many G37 owners or lease holders have installed a remote start for their G37. Its almost a necessity for colder climates. I called up my dealer but they had suggested not to install as it causes problem. They even mentioned that the warranty will void if installing remote start causes any issues with the electrical system.

Is there anyone who has installed remote start and if yes could you please share your experience.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Itchytoe

I do know that your dealer is right and they don't have to honor your warranty if you mess with the electrical system and mess something up. That's no different than keying your car then complaining that its got scratches.

I have had remote starters on previous vehicles, and as long as the installer knows what he's doing, he won't screw up your electronics. The guy down the road offering a $59.99 special is going to mess you up though. You don't always get what you pay for, but you never get what you don't pay for. You could DIY it, but I would recommend against it.

I've never had a problem with any of the instals in my previous vehicles, and they were manual transmissions.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:07 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by Itchytoe
I've never had a problem with any of the instals in my previous vehicles, and they were manual transmissions.

If you do this, advise anyone and everyone working on your car *NOT* to start it by remote. Most people leave the car in gear, even with the ebrake on. You can imagine what happens when you start the car
Old 11-11-2011, 07:14 PM
goparaju

Thanks Itchytoe, I have a auto transmission. I live in minneapolis and I was trying to get to this shop and I have heard good about them. Anyone out here from Minneapolis, might want to share some insights

Sunroofs Etc

Thanks
Old 11-11-2011, 08:31 PM
gimpy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I went to get a remote starter install from a respected stereo/electronics shop that I've had work done for me for many years. Being they are contracted by my local Infiniti dealer to handle their remote start installs he recomended I have it done through the dealer so if a problem ever arose the dealer would be responsible for the repair as if they had done the job themselves, and of course as far as I know they did the work in house(wink).
I know I am taking a chance being our cars are pretty complicated electronically but I feel the problem, if one occurs, will now be of the responsibility of my Infiniti dealer.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
i have seen some ppl do it here by their dealer, but it was like $500-700 or something
Old 11-13-2011, 10:10 PM
ram18962
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have remote start on my 09 G37xS and it works perfectly fine installed by a trusted local shop. Paid around 500 but its definitely worth it! I have an Autopage 2 way auto start and security system. Dealer has no problem with it being on there.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:40 PM
LookingToBuy

Originally Posted by ram18962
I have remote start on my 09 G37xS and it works perfectly fine installed by a trusted local shop. Paid around 500 but its definitely worth it! I have an Autopage 2 way auto start and security system. Dealer has no problem with it being on there.
Was that $500 total including parts & labor?
Old 11-18-2011, 12:48 PM
ram18962
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Yup that is with all remote start parts + modules + security system + labor. It would have been cheaper but since we have push button start they had to charge just a little extra labor for it.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:49 PM
LookingToBuy

Originally Posted by ram18962
Yup that is with all remote start parts + modules + security system + labor. It would have been cheaper but since we have push button start they had to charge just a little extra labor for it.
Nice! Do you happen to remember which brand or module they installed?
Old 11-18-2011, 01:23 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is it really that hard to walk outside, start the car, and go back in while it warms up?
Old 11-18-2011, 01:32 PM
LookingToBuy

Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35
Is it really that hard to walk outside, start the car, and go back in while it warms up?
I have a remote starter on my current car and here are the advantages:
  • I can wake up on a cold morning, start my car, shower/get ready, and be out the door into a warm car. Having to go outside first thing in the morning seems like a lot more effort when you first wake up.
  • I live on the third floor of an apartment building, so it's a lot more effort than just walking outside.
  • Given where I live, I would need to walk down, start the car, leave the fob in the car, lock the car with the other fob, go upstairs, etc. (I'm assuming if the fob is taken out of the PTS, it will shut the engine off?)
It's a convenience factor, like most things in life
Old 11-18-2011, 03:24 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

How about just wearing a jacket, hat and gloves when you enter the car... Let it run for about 30-60 seconds after starting, then on your way you go. It'll heat up along the way
Old 11-18-2011, 03:25 PM
LookingToBuy

Originally Posted by Jsolo
How about just wearing a jacket, hat and gloves when you enter the car... Let it run for about 30-60 seconds after starting, then on your way you go. It'll heat up along the way
Why not just ride your bike to work?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:38 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

^^That's an excellent idea.. Here in chicago, we do see the occasional hard core riders that will commute on a bicycle.. even in a snow storm.

Quick Reply: Remote start G37 AWD