General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Oil Changes..

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:39 AM
davv1215

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ImStricken, yes, off track there are other variables that may subject you to having the valve fail, I do agree. On the track the stress put on the engine may also have the valve fail, thus most tracks do not allow these valves. I am not an advocate for them at all, have never tried it, or saying that I ever will. I was looking for other alternatives to see if there was other ways members here do their oil changes based on a product that I saw. What I am taking away from your posts is that the potential of something knocking into it and dumping your oil, or just having the safety latch fail is not worth the convenience factor. Antirice had one and
I would like to see how long his has held up.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:50 AM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Wow, a car part fail?? That's unpossible.

There are just as many, if not more, people who have had great experiences with the Fumoto and a number of negative anecdotes won't change that. In fact, I bet that there are more people who have stripped the drain bolt/pan.

Since most people aren't tracking the car there won't be any compliance issues either and if you are hitting the oil pan, you should be on Dukes of Hazzard 'cause you ain't doing something right.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:06 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by davv1215
ImStricken, yes, off track there are other variables that may subject you to having the valve fail, I do agree. On the track the stress put on the engine may also have the valve fail, thus most tracks do not allow these valves. I am not an advocate for them at all, have never tried it, or saying that I ever will. I was looking for other alternatives to see if there was other ways members here do their oil changes based on a product that I saw. What I am taking away from your posts is that the potential of something knocking into it and dumping your oil, or just having the safety latch fail is not worth the convenience factor. Antirice had one and
I would like to see how long his has held up.
Thats why i figured id chime in, and honestly there isnt any way to make oil changes quicker or more convenient.
If there was, "QuickLube Joints" would be using them and knocking out oil changes in 2-3mins.

**plus i didnt even touch on the fact that engines build up sludge in higher mileage conditions. That sludge could clog that small valve, and you think its empty- and end up putting in 5.2qts like always and over-fill your engine.**
The risks, out-way the pro's on that item. and the cons/risks equate to catastrophic engine failure that wont be covered under warranty. all of that risk to save 60-90seconds of time?

and siphoning oil out will never remove all of the oil. oil pans have barriers inside that prevent to much sloshing of the oil, so if the suction pipe goes down the dip-stick channel, you never know which section its actually siphoning.
plus if the car has been sitting, any grime is going to sink to the lowest portion of the pan, so allowing gravity to help push everything out is the best and safest option
Old 10-25-2011, 11:23 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rks

There are just as many, if not more, people who have had great experiences with the Fumoto and a number of negative anecdotes won't change that. In fact, I bet that there are more people who have stripped the drain bolt/pan.

Since most people aren't tracking the car there won't be any compliance issues either and if you are hitting the oil pan, you should be on Dukes of Hazzard 'cause you ain't doing something right.
its nothing to do with track. i simply brought up the track to further push the point, that professionals and people that know a lot about cars = DONT USE SUCH A PRODUCT. (just like commercials claim 9 out of 10 doctors recommend. that just proves the validity of the product and its claims.)

And not only off-roading, or "dukes of hazzard" conditions get people to hit things while driving. small animals, road debris, chunks of snow, chunks of tire, rocks, traffic cones or parts of them(that black ring: cut tires used to hold down traffic barrels), even a Gatorade bottle laying on the road. driving 45mph hitting a small plastic Gatorade bottle can activate the drain feature.

FURTHER MORE: the simple physics of this valve, tells anyone who knows anything about mechanics will know that OIL IS THE BLOOD OF THE ENGINE: and placing a valve at the bottom of the pan that holds the blood- is way to risky.

would you walk around with a butterfly needle placed into your vein 24/7?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:31 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rks

In fact, I bet that there are more people who have stripped the drain bolt/pan.
Those are the people that should not touch a car...they would also strip the threads installing a valve too.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:32 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ImStricken

would you walk around with a butterfly needle placed into your vein 24/7?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:39 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tejasg37x
Those are the people that should not touch a car...they would also strip the threads installing a valve too.
lol agreed if you cant grasp the concept of 1st hand starting/tightening a bolt, those are the same people that strip lug-nuts.

1. Whats so hard about gently taking a ratchet and loosening 1 bolt.
2. allowing the oil to drain. (you cant change the time it takes for the oil to drain)
3. taking the same bolt and then hand starting into the oil pan
4. then hand tightening it
5. then 1 gentle tug with a ratchet to close it?

-is installing a POTENTIALLY hazardous valve really that worth the 15seconds you shave off of the process?
Old 10-27-2011, 11:27 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No way I'd put one of those valves on. I had a diesel motorhome with a fuel/water separator filter. The filter had a thumb screw on the bottom, so you could drain off a small amount of diesel fuel to check to see if it had any water in it.
I ran over a small piece of a truck tire's recap. It hit the filter and spun it open.
Less then 10 seconds later the engine died due to lack of fuel. I'm sure glad I didn't have some stupid quick drain valve on the oil pan. That would have been a financial disaster if that had been jarred open.
My MH took 27 quarts of oil and I changed it myself. Some MH owners would put a quick change valve on so they could switch catch pans, because of the volume of oil that came out when draining the system.
It always seemed stupid to me to take a chance on destroying your engine to save a few seconds when changing oil.
Tom