General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Oil Changes..

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:58 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1NEETO
No way in hell I would install one of those things. Hell the fukc no.
I agree....
Old 10-23-2011, 12:42 AM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by tejasg37x
I agree....
sticking with a turkey baster?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:44 AM
2008G37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ummmm you gotta get under car to remove oil filter so whats the big deal spending 5 mins extra under there to drain oil as well?
A 10 year old kid could change oil and filter under the car in 10 mins on Rhino ramps.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:05 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Why not? I have one on my car and it makes oil change more convenient and less messy. If your car is slammed then that's a different story, but you still have the skid plate as a shield.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:11 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by rks
sticking with a turkey baster?
????????
Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rks
just get a fumoto valve instead of this nonsense.
not to rain on your parade, but that thing is barred from most tracks for a reason. vibration, heat, and just road debris can easily cause that thing to dump all your oil out. the people behind you will know, but you wont until its seized or near seizure.
if you gotta under the car, is it so hard to just take a ratchet with you?

PUMPS, WORTHLESS VALVES, RIGGING UP SOME VACUUM, I CANT BELIEVE WHAT IM HEARING. WHAT IS SO SCARY/DIFFICULT ABOUT UNSCREWING 1 BOLT, AND LETTING THE OLD OIL POUR OUT? (ALONG WITH THE GUNK THAT IS SITTING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAN)

(to all you lazies)
.... DONT WORRY, THERE'S AN APP NOW FOR THAT TOO! lol/jk
(one tap on the phone, and your oil is changed hahahah)

Old 10-24-2011, 10:32 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by antirice
Why not? I have one on my car and it makes oil change more convenient and less messy.
why?? - THE SAME REASON MY OIL DRAIN PLUG IS DRILLED THROUGH AND SAFETY WIRED ON MY BIKE.

The answer is simple: VIBRATION, ALONG WITH SHRINKING & CONTRACTING OF METAL DUE TO HEAT & COOL-DOWN CYCLES CAUSES METAL TO SHIFT & MOVE.
And no one knows how reliable that spring inside that valve is.

ITS BAD ENOUGH STOCK OEM BOLTS LOOSEN THEMSELVES, AND UNSCREW... YOU WANT ME TO TRUST A VALVE? HECK NO!

THERMOSTATS RELY UPON A SPRING TO CLOSE/OPEN. WELL WITH HEAT & HEAT CYCLES, THERMOSTAT SPRINGS SOFTEN UP, AND OVER-TIME LOOSE THEIR COMPRESSIVE STRENGTH. SO WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN WITH THAT SPRING VALVE ON THAT SILLY FANCY DRAIN BOLT?

Last edited by ImStricken; 10-24-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:03 AM
davv1215

So I'm guessing you retorque all the nuts and bolts on the car at normal intervals (just to make sure they fastened properly? I guess anything can fail really, the bolts on your tires could be defective, your wheel could fly off and cause an accident (hopefully it never happens). I would hope that a company developing this would have done their due diligence to ensure it's integrity is not compromised so easily. If you're the glass half empty type, this is probably not for you. There's split opinions on this on other forums too. I've never researched this valve, but show me a thread where someone has used it and it failed. I'm open to hearing the facts on this, not opinions. As far as pumping out the oil, that is also a matter of preference too. I see others have used it, I asked a question. Due to the fact that I have to go under the car to get to the oil filter, the valve may be a better alternative for convenience. I see nothing wrong with convenience. Our G's come with a lot of convenience features that we probably never had on our other cars. As another member put it, it's called technological advancement. For those advocates stuck on the old fashion way of doing things, I doubt any of you handwash your clothes, don't use a microwave oven to reheat your food, or dig a hole to take a chit.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:13 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by davv1215
I see nothing wrong with convenience. Our G's come with a lot of convenience features that we probably never had on our other cars. As another member put it, it's called technological advancement. For those advocates stuck on the old fashion way of doing things, I doubt any of you handwash your clothes, don't use a microwave oven to reheat your food, or dig a hole to take a chit.
You cant compare convenience of a remote control, washing machine, or a microwave to that of a valve on your oil pan. there is no real danger to using those conveniences.
Compare that CONVENIENT valve to something that has a big possibility at ruining your engine, oh like.... DRIVING IN THIRD GEAR ON THE HIGHWAY ALL THE WAY TO WORK BECAUSE ITS JUST SO MUCH MORE CONVENIENT NOT TO SHIFT, WHILE YOU EAT BREAKFAST & DRIVE IN THE MORNING.
there is a difference between safe conveniences, and lazy to the point of self destruction. if unscrewing a bolt for you is to much, than i guess your house doesnt have locks because twisting a door **** is just inconvenient versus just not having a door at all.

Last edited by ImStricken; 10-24-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:14 AM
tejasg37x

So I'm guessing you retorque all the nuts and bolts on the car at normal intervals (just to make sure they fastened properly? I guess anything can fail really, the bolts on your tires could be defective, your wheel could fly off and cause an accident (hopefully it never happens). I would hope that a company developing this would have done their due diligence to ensure it's integrity is not compromised so easily. If you're the glass half empty type, this is probably not for you. There's split opinions on this on other forums too. I've never researched this valve, but show me a thread where someone has used it and it failed. I'm open to hearing the facts on this, not opinions. As far as pumping out the oil, that is also a matter of preference too. I see others have used it, I asked a question. Due to the fact that I have to go under the car to get to the oil filter, the valve may be a better alternative for convenience. I see nothing wrong with convenience. Our G's come with a lot of convenience features that we probably never had on our other cars. As another member put it, it's called technological advancement. For those advocates stuck on the old fashion way of doing things, I doubt any of you handwash your clothes, don't use a microwave oven to reheat your food, or dig a hole to take a chit.
No offense, but it's evident you're not a guy that has done a lot of work on cars...what don't you just take it to someone and let them change the oil?
That's even easier than the other suggestions.
Although there are some things that can make work easier, some things are better off by keeping it simple.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:32 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

show me a thread where someone has used it and it failed. I'm open to hearing the facts on this, not opinions.
i have explained facts to you already. THERE IS A REASON STEPS ARE TO BE TAKEN BEFORE YOU PASS TECH-INSPECTION AT THE TRACK BEFORE YOU ARE ALLOWED ON THE TRACK. silicon or safety-wiring is a requirement BECAUSE BOLTS LOOSEN, AND THESE SILLY VALVES ARE BANNED PERIOD FOR COMMON SENSE REASONS!(not opinions)

but since you insist:
"Over ~15 hours, the car had bled out roughly 3/4 of a quart of oil" + "the valve was leaking from the drain opening, despite the lever being fully and properly seated in the "closed" position."

Fumoto -- Disaster Averted -- Barely - Bob Is The Oil Guy

"when I got in the cab and started it, I noticed the oil pan light thingy was on." + "I get out and look under the truck, and sure enough, the fumoto drain valve is clicked the open position, and there is oil pouring out."
Fumoto Drain Valve FAIL... - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

"I've had the fumoto valve on my car for about a week now, and noticed it leaks"
My brand new Fumoto valve is leaking - NASIOC

"Yesterday while driving I ran over a cardboard box that fell off a truck on the freeway. They were unavoidable because there were cars around me :[. There were no damage to my bumper but the impact cause my fumoto valve to open half way. Didn't notice it until the oil pressure light came on!"
Fumoto Valve Incident - Bob Is The Oil Guy
Old 10-24-2011, 12:00 PM
davv1215

I think there is a difference between someone who works on cars and someone who wants to change their own oil. There are some who do that but will not take apart an engine and put it back together (let's be serious now). Getting back to the topic, I am not the one that suggested the valve, I just wanted to see facts instead of rants about why this is or is not a good idea. I am a bottom line type of guy who isn't afraid to learn from others and/or get their hands dirty. However, I do want to learn from facts and other people's experiences (key words here), not someone saying their opinion w/o some backup. I know it was said that they don't want that on the track, but I don't track my car, therefore I did not see the relevance. There may be some other restrictions on the track (helmets, etc.) that I may not practice in everyday driving, therefore I didn't see the relevance. As far as the links to the stories, thank you for that, because that is what I was really looking for. If I wanted an opinion that wasn't based on facts I could just go to my GF for that! Lol.

Btw, on a serious note, thanks for taking the time out though...
Old 10-24-2011, 12:19 PM
cy7878

Good discussion guys, but I think we're drifting off-topic.

The Op asked about a siphon pump. I think the opinion here is not worth it.

The valve and track stuff is good info, I learned allot. But it's not what is asked.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:51 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
I can understand if this is in effort to con an oil consupmtion test but to do an oil change? If you want to drain the oil through the dip stick, what are you going to do with the oil fliter? lol
Old 10-24-2011, 07:29 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

I know it was said that they don't want that on the track, but I don't track my car, therefore I did not see the relevance. There may be some other restrictions on the track (helmets, etc.) that I may not practice in everyday driving, therefore I didn't see the relevance.
HERE IS SOME MORE OF MY OPINION:
The reason that oil drain bolt/valve is not allowed on the track is because on the track a bike/car will inherit as much stress in one mile as it will in many-many miles on the average street road. a car or bike on the track exaggerates it performance, thus speeding up the process for things that can go wrong. one of those things is LEAKING FLUIDS. you are a lot less likely to run over something on the track ie: animals, debris, large piles of cold ice/snow- that could hit against and activate the fluid loss - BUT YET IT IS STILL NOT ALLOWED SIMPLY DUE TO THE FACT THAT ITS UNRELIABLE(because its a spring thats between "normal" & "disaster"!
the design alone mimics an engine coolant thermostat(minus being automatic).
plenty of thermostats go wrong for the simple reason of constant hot/cold cycles. those cycles cause the metal to contract in the cold, then expand in the heat. those cycles are called HEAT-CYCLES. everything on this planet has a heat-cycle lifespan of X amount of years. EVEN TIRES!(hence why you use tire warmers at the track because you reduce the actual times the tires return to cold- once heated by a few laps.)
WELL THE METAL SPRING IN THAT SILLY LITTLE DRAIN-BOLT IS ALSO SUBJECT TO THE HEAT-CYCLING, thus either reducing its expansion rate(keeping the trigger fully locked), or failing all together and just blowing all the oil out.
the race track being a private organization doesnt want to be sued, and liable for allowing such crap on the track such as these valves. now the government could honestly care less about you- you waived your rights to sue the county if someone blows oil out and you crash because of it.

HOW PISSED WOULD YOU BE IF SOME GUY WAS TO LAZY TO UNBOLT A DRAIN BOLT(90seconds of time) AND INSTALLED ONE OF THESE USELESS PLUGS, AND WAS DRIVING HALF A MILE IN FRONT OF YOU AND HE HAPPENS TO RUN OVER A RABBIT(or other small animal) A CHUNK OF SNOW, OR THE SPRING FAILS.... AND THE OIL COMES-A-BLOWIN.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAYL1y9UpbY
Description: 93mph

Last edited by ImStricken; 10-24-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Changes..