General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

5 Quart oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
5 Quart oil change?

I changed my oil today from PP 5w30 to M1 AFE 0w30. I decided to add just the 5 quart bottle, get it off the ramps and warm it up. After checking, the level was at about 80+%. I am using the PureOne oversized filter. Mileage is 6033 and no historical consumption of oil. (Previous oil: FF Nissan ester and PP 5w30).

Will I run into any issues running like this?

I would really like to avoid opening the last quart to top off the engine. This is more of a "waste" issue. The cost of the oil is immaterial. As I am toying with different oils, I hate to have the 75% of a quart left over and not be able to use it up.

Any thoughts?

No track days to date and none really planned...
Old 09-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Normally I think Id run with it, but this engine is notoriously hard on oil, makes strange noises if you dont use just the right stuff, etc.

Personally I wouldnt (and dont) chance it. Best bet is to buy a 5 quart like you already did, then a single quart. Use the single quart to top off after dumping the full 5 in.

Oddly enough, Ive done 2 oil changes on my car and even after warming up the engine and letting it drain for a fairly long while (15-20 minutes), I havent needed to add the full 5.whatever quarts to get the dipstick to read Full. Note I put the car on ramps, so its possible some of it is sloshing to the back of the oil pan.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Coprolite

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Normally I think Id run with it, but this engine is notoriously hard on oil, makes strange noises if you dont use just the right stuff, etc.

Personally I wouldnt (and dont) chance it. Best bet is to buy a 5 quart like you already did, then a single quart. Use the single quart to top off after dumping the full 5 in.

Oddly enough, Ive done 2 oil changes on my car and even after warming up the engine and letting it drain for a fairly long while (15-20 minutes), I havent needed to add the full 5.whatever quarts to get the dipstick to read Full. Note I put the car on ramps, so its possible some of it is sloshing to the back of the oil pan.

I simply dumped the full 5, knowing that I had the 14610 to compensate. The 80% reading was within 2 minutes of engine shutdown, so I will follow up with more checks tomorrow.

I also use ramps and can see how a small amount may not drain due to the layout of the drain plug in the pan.

*Edit: It was virtually silent after the change. I could hear some ticking, but it was minimal. I would say fresh M1 and fresh PP would be equal.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Itchytoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as the liquid level is between the two holes, you're fine. If it's above the top one, you've put in too much. If it's below the bottom one, you should add some. I prefer it to be closer to the top one, but it's not required.

BTW, FSM 8-9 tells you exactly where it needs to be.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:32 PM
cgendron
Minnesota G owners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coprolite
The 80% reading was within 2 minutes of engine shutdown, so I will follow up with more checks tomorrow.
If you check it after 5 or 10 minutes after shutdown, the reading should be a little higher. Takes awhile for all that oil to drain back into the pan.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Coprolite

I confirmed my suspicions. It is much closer to the full mark now. So close that it would be overfilled if I added any, with my luck. I was hoping for a bit more of a science project.

I guess the upcoming detail job will have to be my quality time spent with the G.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I think I actually have to drain a little off.....Im just at the top of the upper dot in the dipstick....probably OK, but Ill just drain a little off (MityVac evacuator rules for pulling out just a small amount)
Old 10-29-2011, 12:47 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Coprolite
I changed my oil today from PP 5w30 to M1 AFE 0w30. I decided to add just the 5 quart bottle, get it off the ramps and warm it up. After checking, the level was at about 80+%. I am using the PureOne oversized filter. Mileage is 6033 and no historical consumption of oil. (Previous oil: FF Nissan ester and PP 5w30).

Will I run into any issues running like this?

I would really like to avoid opening the last quart to top off the engine. This is more of a "waste" issue. The cost of the oil is immaterial. As I am toying with different oils, I hate to have the 75% of a quart left over and not be able to use it up.

Any thoughts?

No track days to date and none really planned...

Buy the oil in a 5.23 qt jug.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:31 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Buy the oil in a 5.23 qt jug.
That's what I did and it came right to the full mark.
Tom