General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

fluid exchange quoted for 600.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:14 PM
AndsX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fluid exchange quoted for 600.

I went to infiniti of kirkland 2009 G37 Sedan for an oil change and i got quoted for these service

Perform rear differential service (Found rear differential fluid to be
dirty/contaminated) $95.00
Replace cabin/HEPA micro filter (Found cabin/HEPA micro filter
dirty) $115.00
Perform coolant fluid exchange service (Found coolant level to be low) $140.00
Perform power steering system fluid exchange service (Found power
steering fluid level to be low) $109.95 S
Perform brake system fluid exchange (Found brake fluid to be
dirty/contaminated) $139.95

Subtotal $599.90

Is it possible to do it cheaper somewhere else? Anyone know in this area?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
First of all yes, you can get those services done much cheaper. Second of all, what area are you talking about? I'm presuming Kirkland, WA, but you need to say so.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:25 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Rear differential fluid and brake fluid for a 2 year old car? Strange. Also, coolant fluid change and power steering fluid change just because it's low? LOL. Stealership.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Well it is a bit shady because the only way you can tell if the diff fluid is "dirty/contaminated" is to remove the drain plug to examine it, thereby draining the fluid out. There's on dipstick so they are just putting that there without ever looking at it. I presume they are just going by mileage. If coolant is low (very unlikely without a leak somewhere in the system), all you need to do is top off - non necessarily flush and refill. Same with PS fluid.

The services mentioned might not be a bad idea, but it's highly unlikely IMO that they are actually necessary. And if they are that quote is a couple hundred dollars high (at least). What's your mileage?
Old 09-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Rickblkg

you should get your transfer case and f&r Differential oil changed every 30k. Power steering can last the life time of your car. Just refill the fluid, and your filter will take 30 min to change your first time. The secound time it shouldnt take more the 15 min..... As for price it can be done else where for half the total price.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:29 PM
cy7878

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Rear differential fluid and brake fluid for a 2 year old car? Strange. Also, coolant fluid change and power steering fluid change just because it's low? LOL. Stealership.
many dealers are recommending every 15k miles for brake fluid flush.

Funny it used to be 3 years (on my previous cars: BMW, MB, Acura), independent of mileage (once upon a time), then became 2 years or 30k miles (my Honda), independent of mileage. now the G37 has in the books 15k miles as the new interval.

Either the fluids have gotten worse and suck up more water, or economy is really that bad...
Old 09-29-2011, 12:37 AM
AndsX

Originally Posted by Black Betty
First of all yes, you can get those services done much cheaper. Second of all, what area are you talking about? I'm presuming Kirkland, WA, but you need to say so.
Yes Kirkland WA
Old 09-29-2011, 12:39 AM
AndsX

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Well it is a bit shady because the only way you can tell if the diff fluid is "dirty/contaminated" is to remove the drain plug to examine it, thereby draining the fluid out. There's on dipstick so they are just putting that there without ever looking at it. I presume they are just going by mileage. If coolant is low (very unlikely without a leak somewhere in the system), all you need to do is top off - non necessarily flush and refill. Same with PS fluid.

The services mentioned might not be a bad idea, but it's highly unlikely IMO that they are actually necessary. And if they are that quote is a couple hundred dollars high (at least). What's your mileage?
29K now.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:08 AM
LakeShow

Shop it around at body shops and other places. 599$ is way too much
Old 10-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Rickblkg

Originally Posted by cy7878
many dealers are recommending every 15k miles for brake fluid flush.

Funny it used to be 3 years (on my previous cars: BMW, MB, Acura), independent of mileage (once upon a time), then became 2 years or 30k miles (my Honda), independent of mileage. now the G37 has in the books 15k miles as the new interval.

Either the fluids have gotten worse and suck up more water, or economy is really that bad...
I do not recommend this but in my Altima I never changed my brake fluid until I was at 75k or 5.5 years and my fluid was still pretty clean. I changed it anyways but still I think as long as you do it every 60k your fine.....
Old 10-03-2011, 12:56 AM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
In cabin filter for $115?? Biggest rip off of the century!!

The filter cost like $25 on ebay. It takes about 15 minutes to do it. Very easy you just need a long screwdriver.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:53 PM
joebeast

Anybody have a DIY for coolant flush?
Old 10-09-2011, 05:52 AM
totaleclipse

Most of that you can do at home. IMO I don't think they really do any of that so call changing out stuff. They just top it off and call it a day. Coolant I flush once a year, most of the time is topping off. At 29K miles all that is for the dealer to make money.
They are betting that you will listen to them because it's a higher end car and you want to keep it running good so you will do it.
Ask your self this... Would you paid $600 to "change out" fluits on a 29K miles car if the car is a civic?
my .02
Old 10-09-2011, 05:58 AM
totaleclipse

I do have this question.
What is the point of having a cabin air filter? I know what it does, but most of the time your car is expose the the outside eliment from rolling the window down and car door open when you get in and out.
So if it filter the air wile you're driving, but then unfilter air still enter everytime you open the door or window.
My problem is everytime I turn the fan on letting the outside air in using the vent (no AC) I get this mildew smell. Even if I replace the filter, it will go away for 2 weeks or so then back again. I'm thinking about just removing it and leave it unfilter.
What do you think?
Old 10-09-2011, 06:01 AM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the oil changed an skip the rest, over priced and entirely over kill on a 29k mile car. Maybe think about it at 60k miles...and then go to an independent mechanic that won't rape you.

Quick Reply: fluid exchange quoted for 600.