General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

rear diff, brake squeaks, and spacers... a mesh of questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 03:43 AM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
rear diff, brake squeaks, and spacers... a mesh of questions

hey guys,

i have a couple of questions and i was wondering if you could help me out.

1. today was my second time jacking the car from the rear differential and afterwards i noticed that its not aligned in the center! (this was after i drove it around, so if it was misaligned because of the jacking up then i shouldve went away) is this normal!? here are some pictures:

2. after installing spacers, i got squeaky REAR brakes (only occurs when i brake with some force from ~40-30mph ish down to ~20mph ish). my front brakes are fine. it goes away from 20mph down to 0mph. it's kinda weird cuz my car is only about a year old and it only started after i installed the spacers. I know that the brakes and spacers are independent but what are the chances... lol.
everyone says to check and retorque the spacers after 2 weeks so i did and guess what?? the spacers slightly loosened and some of the squeakyness went away! im not 100% if its my imagination but this is just some of my observations. any input?
btw... i installed the spacers myself with super **** preparation and torquing carefulness. 20-40-60-80.

2.1 i noticed that my wheel cambered in after spacers... or is that my imagination?

3. my floor jack from HARBOR FREIGHT hella creaks/squeaks and shet... sounds like its trying really hard to lift my car (its only 3 months old) does it need new oil or should i jsut send it back to harbor freight?

once again, thanks for your input!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:28 AM
CDONNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
#1 is normal, just how they route the exhaust. It isn't your differential.

#2 don't have any experience with spacers so I can't really help there.
#2.1 You would probably get a little more negative camber I would think after extending the wheels out further since you are keeping a constant weight but increasing the length of the axle (essentially)

#3 I don't know if I would trust something from Harbor Freight with lifting my car. That is definitely a tool that is worth investing a little more money in (I have a 3ton Craftsman lift). At least make sure you have it on jack stands once you get it raised. Wouldn't want it to lose pressure while a wheel is off or you are under it.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

got some answers and some updates.

1. its normal
3. i heard the orange low profile heavy duty orange hf floor jack workds wonders

2. called into the dealership to perform a free brake safety check. before i took my car in, i removed the spacers cuz i didnt wanna take the chance of the advisor waving off warranty work because my brake issues are "due to the spacers". on the way to the dealership i noticed that all the squealing was gone!!! weird huh? i thought brake pads/rotors would be independent of wheel offset :\
heres where it gets interesting: i complained about my rear brakes squealing and they proceed to perform the brake check. they found that my front rotors were warped and machined them down for me, installed new front pads, and installed the "splash shields" 41151-1BF10A on both fronts. the advisor said that the older shields were too big and didnt provide enough ventilation.. as a result the brake pads overheated and the rotors became glazed and warped. whatever... that doesnt solve my issue. (i didnt even have the front brake judder to begin with but im not complaining lol)
the rear brake pads were quote: "REAR BRAKE PADS HEAT CRACKED AND ROTOR GLAZED" so they performed machining and replaced my pads. all free of charge. what in the world couldve caused this!? my car is barely at 12k miles. the reason i came in for the brake checks was because a previous multipoint inspection determined that my rear pads needed attention. what couldve caused this premature wearing, etc??
i didnt start getting the squeals until RIGHT after i installed the spacers... chance that it was coincidental? or were the incidents related? thats the pickle im in right now and i dont know if i wanna put my spacers back on lol.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:42 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Well you have 2009. Your car is over 2 years old, Pads can go at anytime just from heat and how much you are beating your brakes when you stop.

I know 2009 has issues with brakes. My 09 needed new brakes and rotors at 8K miles.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:50 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

i actually got it new from the dealership less than a year ago :P
do you think the brake issue is going to come back?

spacers probably were not the cause of the issues huh?