General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help 2011 G37 Sedan 7 Speed AT Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 01:03 AM
firebird15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2011 G37 Sedan 7 Speed AT Transmission Question

Hello all,

I've just got my new G37 few days ago. I used to have a BMW and loved the driving experience, but I had to let it go since it started to have all kinds of problems. So I decided to try the G37 out since it's a more reliable car with a lower maintenance cost.

After driving around for few days, I've realized that I might have made a wrong decision. I love both the exterior and the interior of the car. The sitting is much more comfortable than the BMW 3's, and it's loaded with convenient features which will cost a lot on a BMW. The engine is powerful, and the acceleration is nice as well. The handling is not as precise as the BMW's, but it's not bad at all. I actually think the BMW's steering is too tight for me at low speed.

However, one thing I don't like about this car is the 7 speed AT transmission, and it made me want to get rid of it and switch back to a BMW. After researching online, I've found out that I'm not alone. I read about the 3rd and 4th gear hunting issue, but my case is even worse. I felt the car is still doing the engine-break when above 65mph. The break is so strong that I can feel something is pulling me back as soon as I release the paddle. I'm not sure what gear it was in when this happened, but it felt like it was either in th 6th gear and didn't shift to the 7th when I get go the paddle, or it was in the 7th and shifted down to the 6th. But none of these assumptions is making sense to me; I wasn't doing overdrive, it shouldn't stay in th 6th gear when above 65mph, and it shouldn't down shift to the 6th from the 7th either. The only thing I know is that it was in D-Mode. Perhaps it was in the 7th gear the whole time when this happened, but it is just too hard for me to believe that was the normal engine-break from the 7th gear. With this kind of behavior, I'm not surprised by its terrible fuel consumption. I drove mostly highways, and with few blocks of city road, the best I made out of this car is 19mpg combine. Believe me, I really tried my BEST. I wish there's a way I can tell what gear it is in when driving in D-Mode, so I can find out what's really going on.

I really need some comments and help from you guys before I take it back to the dealer for checking, so at least I can be confident when I'm there.

Thanks in advance,
Old 12-25-2010, 03:07 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
FWIW I had the same thing with my coupe the first 1000 miles.

Way too much engine braking, especially at low speeds.
The problem went away slowly as the ECU adjusted to my driving style.
And my driving style adjusted to the car.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:53 AM
sammy917

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
trade it in for the 6mt?

taking it to the dealer might be your best bet, and there's a lot on this forum about tranny reprograms. my 09x sedan was in the shop for brake judder (something else to watch out for :/ ) and the loaner, also an 09x, had a transmission that worked flawlessly. got my car back and it felt like there was molasses in the gearing.

after break in, resetting the ecu and driving a little harder than normal for a bit works wonders.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:58 PM
danno62

Honda makes a 5 speed auto for their Civic's...its just super...smooth, quiet, no other modes to worry about and you can get it for $17,000.00 or so...plus that, there's the year-end super-sales going on right now.

Oh right, kinda makes it less of a priority if you have to get a Civic to solve the trans "problem". My recommendations is, take it back to the dealer and see if it needs an updated flash...BEFORE...asking the "peanut gallery".
Old 12-25-2010, 05:59 PM
sammy917

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...reprogram.html
Old 02-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Falcons023

Usually 2011's are much better than 09 & 10's. May be because they had the flash done already that most members are talking about. Mine still does when slowing down for 45mph.
Hopefully, it goes away as you put miles on it.

Also, my mileage was also around 19mpg when i bought it (65% Hwy) and it improved to 21.5mpg with 3550 miles on ODO. In my 328i, i used to get 24.2mpg...so it's not a big drop for me but performance and features are an upgrade.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:09 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I got almost 25 mpg when I drove it to Vegas (all hwy). And I averaged 85 mph.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:32 PM
spect2k

The tsb made a good difference. See if it's been done on your car. Mention it each time you go to the dealer. I had the reflash and it is better, but still not great in my opinion. I continue to complain about it.