General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

oil mixing question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:05 AM
novaleadfoot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil mixing question

I've seen plenty of posts regarding oils to use on the G37 engine so that isn't the issue. I hear the VVEL engine is rather tough on oil so using a good synthetic oil is important, especially one that doesn't shear so easily.

My thought is that mixing 2 different weights of oil could solve that problem. Would mixing a reputable 5w30 with, let's say, a reputable 5w40 create an oil mixture that equates to a 5w35? Or does oil chemistry not work that way?
Old 09-17-2010, 10:45 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't do that. Oil chemistry doesn't work as linearly as that, and things could really get messed up depending on what/how much was mixed
Old 09-17-2010, 02:55 PM
novaleadfoot

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
Don't do that. Oil chemistry doesn't work as linearly as that, and things could really get messed up depending on what/how much was mixed
thanks...I have read alot online and it seems it's ok to mix weights but only within the same brand so the additive package is the same...mobil website says it's ok within their brand but they don't mention other brand mixing...I wasn't considering the idea of protection from a specific brand's additive package

but others say don't mix at all...or mix only with weights close to each other (0w30 and 5w30, etc)...and some even say don't mix synthetic with conventional...now, I know mixing synthetic with conventional is ok to do as a general rule (according to the major manufacturer websites)

seems there are plenty of conflicting opinions......
Old 09-17-2010, 05:08 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Pretty much anything having to do with oil is going to create arguments with views from every side possible as well as some that aren't possible lol

IMHO I would never ever mix oil at all just because there is too much that COULD go wrong.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:41 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by novaleadfoot
My thought is that mixing 2 different weights of oil could solve that problem. Would mixing a reputable 5w30 with, let's say, a reputable 5w40 create an oil mixture that equates to a 5w35?
Not good. If you are looking for more viscosity, use a 10W30 instead. Here are some good choices in 10W30:

Lubrication Engineers 8130
EcoPower
Rotella T5
Valvoline Synpower
Pennzoil Platinum
Quaker State Ultimate Durability
Old 09-18-2010, 01:55 PM
novaleadfoot

the 10w is what worries me there...I want startup flow but a higher operating temp protection...just had my oil changed this morning using GC 0w30...UOA seems to show that GC 0w30 does very well (at least in turbocharged Audis)...next time, I think I will try Mobil1 0w40 or Syntec 5w40 so I have the 0/5 startup circulation but a w40 operating/shear protection

sound reasonable?

by the way, thanks for the replies
Old 09-18-2010, 02:57 PM
e46fanatic46

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most synthetic oil are compatible to each others regarding to brand andn weight, i have talked to some stores assocites and they told me the same thing.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:32 AM
KLB

I would only mix oils if it was a necessity(down some oil and can't get the one you have). Mixing oils to get a desired result is like assuming you know more than the engineers that created the oils you are using. Since there is so much more to the oil than just THE oil, you really don't know what you are mixing.

I would suggest if the oil you are using doesn't do what you want, look for one that does.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:27 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by novaleadfoot
I've seen plenty of posts regarding oils to use on the G37 engine so that isn't the issue. I hear the VVEL engine is rather tough on oil so using a good synthetic oil is important, especially one that doesn't shear so easily.
Nissan doesn't recommend synthetic oil for the VVEL engine. You should be using ester oil, not a synthetic oil. Unless of course you don't believe in following Nissan's recommendations.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:01 PM
iwasgointo

Originally Posted by MSCA
Nissan doesn't recommend synthetic oil for the VVEL engine. You should be using ester oil, not a synthetic oil. Unless of course you don't believe in following Nissan's recommendations.
I believe the Red Line synthetic oils are ester oils. So why not used the Red Line in the weight recommended by Nissan and get the added benefit of a robust synthetic oil?

Also, I believe their are some sellers online who will sell it for less than the Nissan oil and with free shipping, plus no sales tax in most cases.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:03 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by iwasgointo
I believe the Red Line synthetic oils are ester oils. So why not used the Red Line in the weight recommended by Nissan and get the added benefit of a robust synthetic oil?

Also, I believe their are some sellers online who will sell it for less than the Nissan oil and with free shipping, plus no sales tax in most cases.
There is ester in lots of different oils. That doesn't mean that any oil with ester in it the same thing as Nissan's ester oil that is specifically formulated for the VVEL engine. Read up on the subject and you'll see that the ONLY oil that Nissan recommends for this engine is their own conventional (non-synthetic) ester oil.

That doesn't mean you or anyone else has to use it though. Apparently lots of guys think they know better than the engineers who designed the engine.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:46 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I listened to Nissan at first, then I saw multiple UOA's showing the Nissan Ester oil was shearing down to a 20 weight after 4k miles. Nissan tells me that they recommend using it for my schedule 2 changes at 7500 miles. If their oil cant last 4k miles, how the hell is it going to last 7500?

Also, do you even know what the Nissan "ester" oil is comprised of? Hint.... its not 100% ester oil. And it doesnt even has ester basestocks in it.

The "ester" oil is total false advertising. Kinda like how some companies call their oil "synthetic" when its not synthetic. Thanks to some lawyers and a lawsuit, oil manufacturers are allowed to intentionally misdirect the public. And fortunately for them, some people are stupid enough to just believe what they read from a company and take it as the truth.

But dont listen to me. Go ask some experts on other websites.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:48 PM
philter25

Originally Posted by KLB
I would only mix oils if it was a necessity(down some oil and can't get the one you have). Mixing oils to get a desired result is like assuming you know more than the engineers that created the oils you are using. Since there is so much more to the oil than just THE oil, you really don't know what you are mixing.

I would suggest if the oil you are using doesn't do what you want, look for one that does.

Thats some good advice right there. There are PLENTY of options out there, Im sure you can find one that works for you. Read on here and check out the UOA thread. Theres plenty of oils that have been scientifically proven to last in this car.

Scientific evidence > random guesswork opinion.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:55 PM
philter25

There is ester in lots of different oils. That doesn't mean that any oil with ester in it the same thing as Nissan's ester oil that is specifically formulated for the VVEL engine. Read up on the subject and you'll see that the ONLY oil that Nissan recommends for this engine is their own conventional (non-synthetic) ester oil.

That doesn't mean you or anyone else has to use it though. Apparently lots of guys think they know better than the engineers who designed the engine.
So do you think the engineers that design and produce some oils which are NOT synthetic that their company labels as synthetic really know that their company is lying about the composition of their oil?

Your damn right they do.

Unfortunately decisions arent always 100% made by engineers. And companies try to make a profit whatever way they can. Even if it means labeling a non-synthetic oil as synthetic...... or labeling an oil "ester" oil even though its not made from ester basestocks. Or recommending that you only put in their oil when scientific analysis shows that it cannot hold up to the 7500 mile intervals nissan recommends.

Engineers arent stupid, they are well aware of the issues. They just make the product. There are plenty of executives and laywers and marketers who choose how to name and market the product and make their company money.

Nissan also recommends their "premium maintenance". You think any engineer worth a damn would design a car which needed such extreme maintenance every 3 months?

Heck, I showed 6 UOA's to the tech's who work at my dealership and THEY even said they wouldnt put the ester oil in the car and run it for 7500 miles, like the schedule 2 maintenance said.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:12 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
From the manual:

ENGINE OIL AND OIL FILTER RECOMMENDATION

Selecting the correct oil

It is essential to choose the correct grade, quality, and viscosity engine oil to ensure satisfactory engine life and performance, see “CAPACITIES AND RECOMMENDED FUEL/LUBRICANTS” earlier in this section. INFINITI recommends the use of an energy conserving oil in order to improve fuel economy. Select only engine oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) certification or International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) certification and SAE viscosity standard. These oils have the API certification mark on the front of the container. Oils which do not have the specified quality label should not be used as they could cause engine damage.

----

The synthetic oil I use (Pennzoil Ultra) DOES meet the API certification, and therefore does meet Nissan's specifications.

Right?

Quick Reply: oil mixing question