General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 05:58 PM
KeyWasted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil change?

So i called up for my 2nd oil change. They quoted me $99 because they said it was the ester oil. My question is how do you know what type of oil they used last time. Because i read somewhere (forgot where) that once you switch from conventional oil to ester oil you can't go back. Don't know if thats true or not.

I asked them why they said that the g37 are recommended to use ester oil. However, reading on here. I have only seen people switching when there engine makes some kind of noise (forgot what the term was). So basically i just want to know because if i can use regular oil it will only be 49 something. If they did switch me to ester oil on my first oil change they never told me they did, which they should have.

So any help from anyone would be awesome

Thanks
Chris
Old 09-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Any good synthetic oil will work. Get ester if you have any abnormal engine issues.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:48 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I will never use ester oil in my car. Only Mobil1 or Penzoil Ultra goes into the G.

But yeah, any quality full synthetic oil will work just fine
Old 09-09-2010, 10:01 PM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy a 5 qt Mobile 1 bottle and a 1 qt Mobile 1 bottle from Wal-mart for $25. A good oil filter from any auto-parts stores for $7. DIY or Pay 10-$15 labor for an oil change.
I would not pay more than $60 for a full synthetic oil change.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:08 AM
KeyWasted

Yea thats what im looking at doing. Before my g I had a dodge ram so I changed my own oil on the truck no problem, but then again in the truck i can almost play a game of basketball under it, lol. But on the g there is no way i can get under there unless i use the ramps which im not particularly fond. So i guess i'll take it to my dads mechanic and either buy and bring him the oil or if he carry's a good synthetic at a good price just buy it from him. xixonmn you mentioned buying 6 qts? i though the coupe only carried 5 qts?

Thanks for all the help everyone

Chris
Old 09-10-2010, 12:14 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KeyWasted
..But on the g there is no way i can get under there unless i use the ramps which im not particularly fond.
I've got a large floor jack and want to use it to jack up the front end of the G37.

Is there a place in the front center where it's safe to raise the car? I don't want to collapse anything or bend anything up. There seems to be a center kick plate of sorts where the steering arms hook up - is that a safe place?

Once in the air I would secure if with jack stands on the side of the car for safety.

I've always changed my own oil but getting under the G is hard to do.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 AM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KeyWasted
xixonmn you mentioned buying 6 qts? i though the coupe only carried 5 qts?
If you drain all the oil and replace the oil filter, you will need 5 + 1/8 qt or a little bit more. I can use that 1 qt extra for a few times.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:33 AM
KeyWasted

ok got you know.

-chris
Old 09-10-2010, 07:16 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah the oil tank holds 5 qts and the filter holds just under a quart. So when it's all full you need 5+a little more
Old 09-10-2010, 08:56 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by TinsleyC
Is there a place in the front center where it's safe to raise the car? I don't want to collapse anything or bend anything up. There seems to be a center kick plate of sorts where the steering arms hook up - is that a safe place?.
Yes there is. I could not get my jack under the car though, not enough clearance. I got some ramps. You can see the circle with a nub in the middle by the front axle.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:16 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Is there a place in the front center where it's safe to raise the car? I don't want to collapse anything or bend anything up. There seems to be a center kick plate of sorts where the steering arms hook up - is that a safe place?
Here's a pic i shot a while back, notice the round scuff's on the left side of the picture (by the protrusion)? That's the front jacking point.

Prior to lowering the car, i could get my Arcan jack under there without a problem.

After lowering, i needed an inch more clearance so i either drive up on ramps, or jack the side rails a little bit, then slide the Arcan underneath the front-end.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:51 AM
e46fanatic46

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
full synthetic is all you would need, i alsway do it myself and save. pepboys, kragen, and autozone always have combo deal with oil and filter for 25 bucks fully synthetic.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:14 AM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
I've got a large floor jack and want to use it to jack up the front end of the G37.

Once in the air I would secure if with jack stands on the side of the car for safety.

I've always changed my own oil but getting under the G is hard to do.
Check out my g35 coupe jacking video to see how to get a large jack under there nicely.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:59 PM
bluesun

I went to a Nissan dealer and they had never even heard of ester oil. They changed it for 20 and I have not heard any noises out of the engine.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:01 PM
chuckhumprey
Banned

I was convinced by the good reviews about WIX that I read on car repair question. They say that it's the same as NAPA gold and way cheaper. Now, I notice some loud cam chain rattle at start up. Has anyone experienced this? I know that rattle at a second is normal but mine is longer and louder than the usual..

Last edited by chuckhumprey; 02-05-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil change?