General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:21 PM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Maintenance question

Hi Guys,

I've had my car for about 32 months now (currently at 15700 miles). I did the regular oil changes at every 3500 miles. The last oil change was done at 13700 about 12 months ago and now I want to take the car for service.

I want to know what you guys recommend I have the stealership do on the car.

By the way, I had the battery replaced myself 6 months ago, so no battery check is needed.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-23-2010, 01:59 PM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CarAddict
Hi Guys,

I've had my car for about 32 months now (currently at 15700 miles). I did the regular oil changes at every 3500 miles. The last oil change was done at 13700 about 12 months ago and now I want to take the car for service.

By the way, I had the battery replaced myself 6 months ago, so no battery check is needed.

Thanks in advance!
depends if you're a handy-DIY-type person. a lot of the stuff u can do on ur own to save a few bucks. I forgot what the process involves exactly. someone else will chime in
Old 06-23-2010, 02:57 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance!
Have you rotated the tires? Some G37s are not supposed to rotate (when the front tires are smaller than the rear). For those that need rotation, that's an every 7500 mile task - you might be overdue.

It's very easy to change your engine air filters yourself. Check the owners manual. They recommend replacing these every 2 years or 30K miles. I wouldn't pay a dealer to do that. I use Wix 49362 filters. You need 2 of them. I got mine for $7.18 each from RockAuto.com.

Changing the cabin air filter is recommended every 1 year or 15K miles. Another DIY project. Takes 20 minutes. You have to take the glove box door off to get to the filter, then put the glove box door back on. See the DIY forum for a how to. I use the Wix 24479 cabin filter. $12.56 from RockAuto.com

Aside from that, the automatic transmission is a sealed system. If you drive a stick, you might need to change that fluid. I don't know.

The coolant and spark plugs are supposed to last 100K miles. You might have them check your differential oil and engine belts, but it's not really necessary. Maybe replace your wiper blades as needed.

The great thing about the G37 7 speed automatic is its so easy to maintain!! Basically, it's regular oil and oil filter changes and tire rotations, and semi-regular engine air filter and cabin air filter replacements.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:08 PM
SM_Shadowman

Just look at the maintenance guide for the 15-16K items.

Personally I do the oil changes and will do the intake/cabin filters myself, can't rotate the sport tires, so I'd probably only want to take it in to the dealer to do inspection items I can't do myself, brakes, etc. I probably will drive 15K in more like a year. But 32 months sounds like a good time to at least get all the inspection items done.

I'm sure you know this, but just be sure to tell them exactly what to do. You don't want to go in and ask for a 15K service or they'll be changing everything on the car for about a grand!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:35 PM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Thanks guys!! Tires don't need to be rotated (I did rotate them side to side when I was changing them out the winters though).

I'll change the engine and AC air filters myself and will have the service guys do the fluid changes + brake/other inspections.

By the way, is the Wix 24479 cabin filter the exact fit?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:31 PM
CGAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stop using aftermarket crap people. All it does is cause problems! I see air flow meters go out all the time and 9 times out of 10 it's because some cheap a$$ wanted to save five dollars on a junk air filter. You own a $40k plus car so treat it like one.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:55 PM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CGAR
Stop using aftermarket crap people. All it does is cause problems! I see air flow meters go out all the time and 9 times out of 10 it's because some cheap a$$ wanted to save five dollars on a junk air filter. You own a $40k plus car so treat it like one.
What do you suggest then? Have the dealer do it with their crappy parts (wink wink the BATTERY)?

$5 is all I will save? Come on now!!!

I wouldn't mind buying the OEM filters and do it myself. The labour cost is what we are trying to save on. The parts are cheap anyways!

Any website you know of that sells OEM filters?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 AM
CougarRed

What aftermarket filters are you referring to? Wet or dry? I chose Wix dry filters after seeing some test results.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:06 AM
SM_Shadowman

Oh please. You must work for a dealership. You've been able to pinpoint airflow meters breaking due to aftermarket cabin filters? You're saying there's an airflow meter on the A/C system?

Or have you seen a bunch of crappy airflow meters and tried to find something to blame it on, and said "hey look, aftermarket filter! Warranty claim denied. Lunch break everyone!"

Seriously though, most of the folks here buy aftermarket parts for quality, and DIY, not to save money. The Nissan Filters are good, but in many cases don't measure up -- especially the newer ones. See OEM oil filter vs pureOne. Or the HKS hybrid intake filters for example.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:15 AM
SM_Shadowman

I wouldn't mind buying the OEM filters and do it myself. The labour cost is what we are trying to save on. The parts are cheap anyways!

Any website you know of that sells OEM filters?
2009 G37 Sedan: service accessories

Infiniti Parts USA - Your #1 Source for Factory Infiniti Parts & Accessories

There's a bunch more, if you look around these forums or search for infiniti oem parts. Prices look reasonable, but I'm not sure what the shipping runs.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:25 PM
CGAR

Did I say cabin filter...NO! read before you reply next time. And yes I have "pin pointed it" dry filtes do ruin air flow meters allways use a oiled one factory is best in my opinion. And no I dont deny warranty claimes due to aftermarket filters no matter how bad I want to and should because its you own dumb a$$ fault for using crap parts. You should get charged for being dumb. All im saying is that he would be wise to use factory parts. Buy them from the dealer and do it yourself.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 PM
CougarRed

Did I say cabin filter...NO! read before you reply next time. And yes I have "pin pointed it" dry filtes do ruin air flow meters allways use a oiled one factory is best in my opinion. And no I dont deny warranty claimes due to aftermarket filters no matter how bad I want to and should because its you own dumb a$$ fault for using crap parts. You should get charged for being dumb. All im saying is that he would be wise to use factory parts. Buy them from the dealer and do it yourself.
Do you recommend Nissan Ester oil for our engines?
Old 06-26-2010, 12:31 AM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope you are not working in automotive industry or I'll sue your @$$ if you deny my warranty because of the aftermarket oil filter that I use in my car. Dude, it's just a Nissan after all, not a Ferrari.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:48 AM
CGAR

Originally Posted by xixonmn
I hope you are not working in automotive industry or I'll sue your @$$ if you deny my warranty because of the aftermarket oil filter that I use in my car. Dude, it's just a Nissan after all, not a Ferrari.

LMFAO! You would. And waste countless peoples time for your stupidity. Whatever. But you will go out of warranty eventually and then maybe you will listen. OR!.... Maybe you could sue someone then, like yourself for using inferior parts.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:52 AM
CGAR

Originally Posted by CougarRed
Do you recommend Nissan Ester oil for our engines?
I dont really see the difference with any of the oils (syn,ester,conventional) in these cars....However Infiniti does recommend using ester oil so thats what im going to use in mine.

Quick Reply: Help Maintenance question