General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:11 AM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, I think I remember you from another "oil thread"... I had a good laugh that day too.

/found it... ROFLMFAO
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post2919061
Old 06-26-2010, 01:18 AM
CGAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xixonmn
Hey, I think I remember you from another "oil thread"... I had a good laugh that day too.

/found it... ROFLMFAO
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post2919061
Yeah probably...People tend to laugh when they dont know what they are talking about.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:14 AM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think anyone can dispute these 2 statements from CGAR:

1. It's good to use OEM air filters, and
2. If you change your oil every 3750, it doesn't really matter what oil you use as long as it's 5W-30

What I can't evaluate is the statement that aftermarket paper filters are somehow bad for the G37.

I can say with some authority that Nissan Ester oil is vastly overpriced, and that there are many oils that are both cheaper and perform better than Nissan Ester oil in the VQ37 engine no matter what the Nissan engineers say.

Last edited by CougarRed; 06-26-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:02 PM
CGAR

Originally Posted by CougarRed
I don't think anyone can dispute these 2 statements from CGAR:

1. It's good to use OEM air filters, and
2. If you change your oil every 3750, it doesn't really matter what oil you use as long as it's 5W-30

What I can't evaluate is the statement that aftermarket paper filters are somehow bad for the G37.

I can say with some authority that Nissan Ester oil is vastly overpriced, and that there are many oils that are both cheaper and perform better than Nissan Ester oil in the VQ37 engine no matter what the Nissan engineers say.
All I am saying is that ive seen these filters in allmost every car that has a bad air flow meter, and thats why I recommend factory OILED filters. I have worked for Nissan and Infiniti for the past 13 years and have seen too many people have to pay hundres of dollars to fix their cars because they wanted to save a couple dollars on an air filter. I didnt say paper filters are bad just make sure they are oiled. Yes the ester oils is overpriced I agree but its what they recommend using so for me thats what will be going in my car.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:25 AM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by CGAR
Did I say cabin filter...NO! read before you reply next time. And yes I have "pin pointed it" dry filtes do ruin air flow meters allways use a oiled one factory is best in my opinion. And no I dont deny warranty claimes due to aftermarket filters no matter how bad I want to and should because its you own dumb a$$ fault for using crap parts. You should get charged for being dumb. All im saying is that he would be wise to use factory parts. Buy them from the dealer and do it yourself.
You were talking about cheap filters in the middle of a discussion about cabin filters. If you meant something else entirely unrelated to the topic you probably should have mentioned it. But it's hard to take you seriously either way. Especially since you obviously resent that you can't legally force people to buy your company's products.

Prime example of the kind of mentality you're going to encounter with at the dealership, folks.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:26 PM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

All I am saying is that ive seen these filters in allmost every car that has a bad air flow meter, and thats why I recommend factory OILED filters. I have worked for Nissan and Infiniti for the past 13 years and have seen too many people have to pay hundres of dollars to fix their cars because they wanted to save a couple dollars on an air filter. I didnt say paper filters are bad just make sure they are oiled. Yes the ester oils is overpriced I agree but its what they recommend using so for me thats what will be going in my car.

So where all the people that this has happened to? I havent heard of it ONCE since ive been a forum member.

Anybody have this happen to them? and what brand filter were you using?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:46 AM
KLB

Well, I can see problems arising from buying cheap filters, but there are many filters made that are better than the Nissan branded filters. I for one also buy Wix filters, both Oil and Air, and I don't do it because they are cheaper.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:51 AM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah probably...People tend to laugh when they dont know what they are talking about.
Say what you want but I trust Mobil 1 and Bosch/PureONE oil filter. And you know what, they are way cheaper than Nissan Ester oil and OEM oil filter.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:49 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I dont really see the difference with any of the oils (syn,ester,conventional) in these cars....However Infiniti does recommend using ester oil so thats what im going to use in mine.
FAIL. They do recommend Nissan Ester Oil, even for people such as myself on schedule 2 maintenance. I can show you half a dozen UOA's showing that the oil breaks down by 4k miles. Theres no way in hell I would leave that in for another 3500 miles.

I cant comment on the filter discussion because my cars only at 8k miles so I have yet to replace mine.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:57 AM
CGAR

Originally Posted by philter25
FAIL. They do recommend Nissan Ester Oil, even for people such as myself on schedule 2 maintenance. I can show you half a dozen UOA's showing that the oil breaks down by 4k miles. Theres no way in hell I would leave that in for another 3500 miles.

I cant comment on the filter discussion because my cars only at 8k miles so I have yet to replace mine.
FAIL. Read again I said that they do recommend ester oil, and who does their oil changes every 7500 miles?! I dont care what oil you use thats too long. Im still gonna change every 3000 like I have on every car I have owned. Maybe you shouldent of commented at all.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:45 AM
CougarRed

who does their oil changes every 7500 miles?!
According to Infiniti, G37 owners who are on Schedule 2 maintenance plans change their oil every 7500 miles.

Many of the members of this forum change at 6000-7500 miles even on schedule 1 after sending their oil off for laboratory analysis and becoming comfortable that their chosen oil is holding up and doing the job.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:49 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
FAIL. Read again I said that they do recommend ester oil, and who does their oil changes every 7500 miles?! I dont care what oil you use thats too long. Im still gonna change every 3000 like I have on every car I have owned. Maybe you shouldent of commented at all.
FAIL AGAIN. You keep quoting the owners manual, well re-read your owners manual. For owners who follow schedule 2 maintenance, INFINITI recommends Nissan Ester Oil. Believe it or not, there are some people who have multiple cars and use one car as a luxury or weekend car and their driving habits fall under schedule 2.

And numerous scientific tests have shown that it breaks down at 4000 miles. Numerous, from different people, different driving styles, and every one has broken down. In fact, I havent seen a UOA for the Ester Oil where it DIDNT shear down to a 20 weight oil. If you follow schedule 2 maintenance and want protection for your car, you arent getting it with the Nissan Recommended Ester Oil.

And numerous scientific tests have even shown that good synethetic oils can go WELL over 7500 miles. I think BB even posted a UOA for Eneos showing it almost went 10k miles.

Scientific data >>>>>>>>>> your opinion.

But I have a feeling Id be better off talking to a wall.

Your maintenance schedule from the infinitiusa website:

http://www.infinitiusa.com/content/d...2009_I_SMG.pdf

Page 9:
Depending on your driving habits and local conditions, you should follow one of the three maintenance schedules listed below.
Use these guidelines to determine which maintenance schedule to use:
SCHEDULE 2 (Every 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first)
Schedule 2 features 7,500-mile service intervals; with Schedule 2
fewer maintenance items are regularly checked or replaced than with
Schedule 1. Generally, Schedule 2 applies only to
highway driving in temperate conditions. Use Schedule 2 only if you
primarily operate your vehicle under conditions other than those listed in
Schedule 1.
Page 10:
[QUOTE]Engine Oil and Oil Filter
Replace engine oil and oil filter at the
specified intervals. For recommended
oil grade and viscosity refer to
Chapter 9 in your Owner’s Manual.[/
QUOTE]

Heres the owners manual from the infinitiusa website:

http://www.infinitiusa.com/content/d...finiti-G37.pdf

Chapter 9: Read pages 9-2 and 9-3.

For Engine Oil:
NISSAN recommends Genuine NISSAN Ester Engine Oil available at your NISSAN dealer.
So, according to the infiniti manuals, Infiniti recommends that I use their Genuine NISSAN Ester Engine Oil for my schedule 2 oil changes.

So you pretty much lost all credibility when you said:
and who does their oil changes every 7500 miles?! I dont care what oil you use thats too long.
People who follow the infiniti recommended schedule maintenance guidelines for 7500 miles or 6 months and use scientific tests on their synthetic oil to verify that it can hold up for that amount of time, thats who.

Last edited by philter25; 06-29-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:56 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
who does their oil changes every 7500 miles?! I dont care what oil you use thats too long. Im still gonna change every 3000 like I have on every car I have owned. Maybe you shouldent of commented at all.
This is just an incorrect statement. A QUALITY synthetic oil will last well over that. Mobil1 guarentees 10K miles (I change my Mobil1 every 8K just to be a little conservative since we have a high RPM engine) but synthetic oil can last much longer than you think
Old 06-29-2010, 01:21 PM
SM_Shadowman

LOL. For someone who claims to have worked on Nissan and Infiniti as long as you have you don't seem very familiar with the maintenance schedule. 3000 miles is less than even the premium maintenance schedule.

You do realize there have been breakthroughs in automotive technologies over the past 20+ years that pretty much have made 3000 mile oil changes obsolete? Almost no new car requires that these days. Regardless of what the dealership wants you to think about how often to bring your car in.