General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Range/Miles to Empty: Idiot Proof?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Harley'sG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I've been tempted to see exactly how far it will run beyond the "---" DTE until it runs completely out of fuel and have a gas can in the trunk to refill it. I don't want to risk any potential damage to the fuel system from running it completely dry, although if I stop right away I don't think there will be any. Not willing to risk it. It would also let me discover the exact usable capacity of the fuel tank. I suspect it's not quite a full 20 gallons.
BB, I'm going to call you Kramer from now on...haha Don't do this! Crap that gets in our tanks can be sucked up...prob not but not worth the risk.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've read also that that was a myth about sediment and empty tanks. Especially for cars built since the fuel-injection era. The explanation is that fuel gets pumped from the bottom of the tank no matter what, so if there were sediments or contaminants in the tank they'd go in no matter what the fuel level.

So cars have screens and fuel filters to keep the sediment away no matter what. Also, the fuel tanks are built with 1000x more rust-resistance than they used to be, which keeps most of that crap from getting into your tank in the first place.

However, running it completely dry can shorten the life of the fuel pump. Allegedly.

But I wouldn't risk it either way.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:18 PM
VvsKing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harley'sG
BB, I'm going to call you Kramer from now on...haha Don't do this! Crap that gets in our tanks can be sucked up...prob not but not worth the risk.

LoL!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:22 PM
DmfG37sTT

Now does this err on the side of caution apply for most vehicles?

You would think so but who knows. the amount of peopel you see on the side of the highway with no gas is crazy in missouri. any info on this?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
I've read also that that was a myth about sediment and empty tanks. Especially for cars built since the fuel-injection era. The explanation is that fuel gets pumped from the bottom of the tank no matter what, so if there were sediments or contaminants in the tank they'd go in no matter what the fuel level.

So cars have screens and fuel filters to keep the sediment away no matter what. Also, the fuel tanks are built with 1000x more rust-resistance than they used to be, which keeps most of that crap from getting into your tank in the first place.

However, running it completely dry can shorten the life of the fuel pump. Allegedly.

But I wouldn't risk it either way.
You are correct. That's dated information. There's no "crap" to be sucked up by using the last of the fuel in the tank. Maybe this had some degree of validity many years ago, but certainly not on modern cars. There's a sock type screen and an in tank fuel filter in our cars to alleviate any moisture from the fuel or foreign particles from being introduced into the engine. There is no damage from using the last fuel in the tank. It's not good for fuel injected engines to run completely dry, but that's the only danger of using all the fuel in the tank. They this old wives tale persists.

I've seen inside my fuel tank twice. Clean as a whistle.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
Now does this err on the side of caution apply for most vehicles?

You would think so but who knows. the amount of peopel you see on the side of the highway with no gas is crazy in missouri. any info on this?
On most modern vehicles, the fuel gauge is actually made to show you slightly less fuel than is actually in the tank as a "fudge factor" to keep folks from running out. When was the last time you drove any car that the gauge didn't actually go below the "E" mark? Some go way past here with fuel still left.

I've been driving Nissans since '91. Every single one has more gas than the gauge shows. So has every other car to varying degrees. The distance to empty is just to let yo know you need gas soon, it's not particularly accurate - at least not on these cars.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:34 PM
DmfG37sTT

Thanks BB
Old 08-09-2010, 06:00 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Referring to a older comment, our tank is actually pretty close to 20 gallons. I've seen a G fill up 19.xx gallons. He was pretty brave to have gone that far.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:17 PM
ExtraCrispy
Registered Member

The worst thing about that gauge is the one in the center console lcd and the one in the driver dash don't agree with each other. And when the warning light comes on the display in the lcd goes to '*****' which is completely useless.