General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Extended Warranty Info

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:04 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Extended Warranty Info

Just wanted to pass along what I have learned about Infiniti Elite Extended Warranties:

If your car has less than 6000 miles, Infiniti considers the car "new." You can buy an extended warranty coverage up to 96 months and 100K or 120K miles. The months are measured from the date you took ownership of the car. The miles are measured by whatever your odometer says.

So basically you can extend your 4 year/60K basic warranty + 6 year/70K power train warranty to an 8 year/100K-120K warranty.

After 6K miles, Infiniti considers the car "used" and the warranty is calculated differently. The months and miles start from the date of extended warranty purchase, not the date you took ownership. Note, all of the info below assumes your car is less than 48 months old.

Between 6001 and 20,000 miles, the most you can purchase is 84 months/100K or 120K miles. So, if you drove for 3.5 years and had 19,900 miles on your car, you could go buy an extra 7 more years, 100K more miles of coverage. This would essentially convert the standard 4 yr/60K + 6 yr/70K into a 10.5 yr/119.9K mile warranty.

Between 20,001 and 30K miles, the most you can buy is an extra 60 months/60K-70K miles.

Between 30,001 and 40K miles, the most you can buy is an extra 60 months/60K miles.

Between 40,001 and 50K, the most you can buy is an extra 48 months/48K miles.

Between 50,001 and 60K, the most you can buy is an extra 36 months/36K miles.

If the car has more than 60K miles, then you are precluded from buying an Infiniti Elite extended warranty.

Bottom line, your Elite extended warranty options change big time during the first 48 months once your car goes past:

1) 6K miles
2) 20K miles
3) 40K miles

So as you approach those milestones, you have some thinking to do.

Last edited by CougarRed; 06-08-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks! good info! i got the elite extended warranty when i bought the car brand new
Old 06-08-2010, 04:41 PM
LightsOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good info

no extended warranty for me... I just plan on fixing the problem myself
Old 06-08-2010, 06:43 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Do the prices change at all?

edit: nevermind. the net miles is about the same
Old 06-08-2010, 07:10 PM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Do the prices change at all?

edit: nevermind. the net miles is about the same
Sure the prices change.

Also note that the $0 deductible plan is more expensive than the $50 deductible plan, and the $50 plan is more expensive than the $100 plan.

Currently, with 5999 miles (or less) you can get a total 96 month, 100K warranty (from date of vehicle purchase) for:

$1830 - $0 deduct.
$1661 - $50 deduct.
$1510 - $100 deduct.

Currently, with 19,999 miles you can get an additional 84 months/100K miles (from date of warranty purchase) for:

$2130 - $0 deduct.
$1929 - $50 deduct.
$1749 - $100 deduct.

Currently with 39,999 miles you can get an additional 60 months/60K miles for:

$2039 - $0 deduct.
$1824 - $50 deduct.
$1652 - $100 deduct.

Of course, shorter term plans are available in all cases, and are cheaper.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:12 PM
mhaynes22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are these MSRP prices, or prices that a dealer gave you?

I've got about 1000 miles on my 2010 G37xS, so is that saying that $1,830 will extend my 48/60K bumper-bumper to 96/100K? When my finance manager was going over my warranty options with me, the number was so high that I didn't even consider it and have since forgot it. He also told me that I only have until 1,000 miles to decide, but I'm not sure that I believe him...

Also, have you read anything on whether financing options are still out there for the warranties?

Thanks a lot
-Matt
Old 06-08-2010, 09:53 PM
BillPaul

When I bought my 2010 G37 to months ago, I was quoted a price of 2200 or 2300 (can't recall which) to double the length of the warranty. Also, I was told I had to do this within 6 months or 6,000 mi, whichever came first.

Prices above are quite a bit less. I suppose it is up to the dealer to set the price?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:58 PM
SM_Shadowman

So if I have 6,000 miles on my car already and wanted to buy the additional 100K extended warranty it seems the thing to do is wait until it's just under 20K before buying?

BTW, if you believe Consumer Reports at all, they generally recommend against buying extended warranties -- their survey data has shown that in the vast majority of cases consumers have ended up spending more on the warranties than they would have spent on the repairs. They didn't have data for Infiniti, but for Nissan, the average person who purchased one lost $300 on an extended warranty, and only 19% came out ahead.

Even moreso considering the G has extremely high reliability ratings. If you get one, they recommend waiting until just before your factory warranty expires and bargaining down as much as possible. Or just putting the $2K into a money market account or some other short-term interest-bearing product to create your own insurance.

Not to be a contrarian or anything; I'm just throwing that out there.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:18 AM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by mhaynes22
are these MSRP prices, or prices that a dealer gave you?

I've got about 1000 miles on my 2010 G37xS, so is that saying that $1,830 will extend my 48/60K bumper-bumper to 96/100K? When my finance manager was going over my warranty options with me, the number was so high that I didn't even consider it and have since forgot it. He also told me that I only have until 1,000 miles to decide, but I'm not sure that I believe him...

Also, have you read anything on whether financing options are still out there for the warranties?

Thanks a lot
-Matt
These are NOT MSRP prices. These are prices from a dealer in Scottsdale Arizona who set up a website to attract the business. Plug your car & mileage into their matrix and see all your options at prices well below MSRP.

Also, Infiniti of Nashua, New Hampshire is competitive on extended warranty prices. Feel free to shop dealers in your area to see if you can get better prices.

Doesn't matter which dealer sells you an Elite extended warranty - it's good at any of them.

Yes - you can usually finance an extended warranty.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:19 AM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by BillPaul
When I bought my 2010 G37 to months ago, I was quoted a price of 2200 or 2300 (can't recall which) to double the length of the warranty. Also, I was told I had to do this within 6 months or 6,000 mi, whichever came first.

Prices above are quite a bit less. I suppose it is up to the dealer to set the price?
It's a profit center, so dealers will compete if you encourage them to do so.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:24 AM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
So if I have 6,000 miles on my car already and wanted to buy the additional 100K extended warranty it seems the thing to do is wait until it's just under 20K before buying?
Exactly.

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
BTW, if you believe Consumer Reports at all, they generally recommend against buying extended warranties -- their survey data has shown that in the vast majority of cases consumers have ended up spending more on the warranties than they would have spent on the repairs. Not to be a contrarian or anything; I'm just throwing that out there.
Extended warranties are like insurance. You pay a bit of a premium to eliminate risk and create peace of mind.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:50 AM
BillPaul

Are extended warranties worth it?

Originally Posted by CougarRed
Extended warranties are like insurance. You pay a bit of a premium to eliminate risk and create peace of mind.
Extended warranties are definitely insurance. The purpose of insurance is usually to cover those losses or costs which you would otherwise be unable to afford, e.g. loss of a home, medical costs, etc. So, extended warranties generally violate this principle. The other issue is that you are losing money up front when buying an extended warranty. Better to keep your money (e.g. invest it), & take the loss only if the car needs repair. If you sell the car or it is totaled in an accident, then you never get the benefit of the warranty. Finally, companies that provide extended warranties often go out of business (doesn't apply if warranty is by Infiniti itself).

However, there is a counter argument:
If it is very likely that you will use the insurance, then it may be worthwhile. For example, I have always insured my laptop computers because they take a beating (open & close, toss into car, etc.). I have used the extended warranty in every laptop I have ever owned.

What about the highly reliable G37? I keep my cars for a long time. These cars are very complex (hard drives, electronic & wireless systems, LCD screen with touch function, etc., etc.). I think there is a good chance that some of these complex systems will require repair within 4 to 8 years. For example, I doubt the hard drive will last 8 years. If we only had the engine & transmission to worry about (especially the 6MT, which I bought, is unlikely to fail), then I would say the extended warranty is not worth it. But in these very complex cars, it probably is.

Question for CougarRed: the Infiniti website says these extended warranties are for 7 years, but you indicate 8 years. Is the website incorrect?

Last edited by BillPaul; 06-09-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:24 AM
BillPaul

Originally Posted by CougarRed
It's a profit center, so dealers will compete if you encourage them to do so.
Does this Infiniti warranty apply at any dealer? If so, then we can negotiate our best price, and even buy it from dealers who are a considerable distance from where we live.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:56 AM
CougarRed

Question for CougarRed: the Infiniti website says these extended warranties are for 7 years, but you indicate 8 years. Is the website incorrect?
Apparently, the 8 year/100K or 120K warranties for new cars under 6000 miles is something new.

You are correct that the Infiniti website says 7 years/100K is the max.

However, the Scottsdale dealership is selling 8 year/100K or 120K Elite plans on their website, and I have personally spoken to Geoff Garden at Infiniti of Nashua to get a quote on that very plan. It's available.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:01 AM
CougarRed

Does this Infiniti warranty apply at any dealer?
Yes. You can buy an Elite warranty from any Infiniti dealer, and it's good for warranty work at any Infiniti dealer.

If so, then we can negotiate our best price, and even buy it from dealers who are a considerable distance from where we live.
Yes. As I noted above, the Scottsdale, AZ and Nashua, NH dealers offer excellent prices and seem to want to compete for the business nationally.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Info