General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Is the ambient temperature readout adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the ambient temperature readout adjustable?

Lately I've been noticing I'm 2 degrees Celcius higher than the local radio station - even if I'm in the same location as the station. I'm pretty sure it used to match a few months back. It is always 2 degrees, never 0 or 3.

Is there anyway the sensor could have drifted or be adjusted to increase the offset?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:01 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Official" temperatures are supposed to be shade temps, which might account for the difference. This might also make more of a difference in the summer.

But I'm not discounting the possibility of a problem either. Mine seems to be slightly off sometimes too. I had a loaner car that was about 2-years old or so, and that one was way off, during the winter. I wonder if they need to be (or can be) re-calibrated after a while.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:08 PM
SM_Shadowman

I'm looking through the service manual now. I don't see anything about adjusting it; it looks like there's just a procedure for inspecting the sensor and the signal circuit. to see if it is accurate -- if it isn't, the instructions say to either repair the wiring circuit or just replace the sensor.

If you're still in warranty it might be worth having it checked next time you are in for service.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

I recently installed HID fog lights and had to play with the wiring (as mine also function as DRL). I'm not keen on taking this into the dealer until I know a bit more about where the sensor is and how it is wired; they might want to rip out my recent mods.

I think the temperature sensor is under the front bumper somewhere. Maybe I disturbed it or blocked an opening. Don't think so but you never know.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:09 PM
SM_Shadowman

The fsm says it's attached to the "Hood Lock Stay Assembly" which is in the front-center below the hood -- it extends down I think from the top at the front hood latch to below the grille. In the picture below I think that's supposed to be the radiator behind it.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Mid-Life Crisis

Thanks for your efforts on this SM. I knew it was there somewhere. I don't think I could have disturbed this with my rewiring but I'll give it a good look to ensure it is not obstructed and getting a clear airway. If all is clear, I will talk to the dealer who is pretty good about ignoring all the mods people like to do.