General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Should my G37x coast this poorly??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 02:24 PM
berny32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should my G37x coast this poorly??

After getting up to speed in local traffic, say 30 mph, and getting off the accelerator as I see a stop sign or red light up ahead, the car slows down considerably, almost like I switched it to low gear. My Lexus RX300 maintains most of its speed for far longer than my new G37x when not pressing the gas pedal. After half a block my G37x is almost at a crawl even if it was at 30-40 mph once I got off the gas pedal. Is this normal for the G37x or do I have some sort of problem?
Also, not sure if related or not, after driving the car for an hour or two (local and highway combined, about 50 miles total often in NY traffic), when I shut and get out of the car, I smell a faint smell of burning rubber coming from the front end. Where is this coming from? If this happened once i would have assumed the tires but its happened several times over the last two months. Tires or something else? Any ideas?
I'll have the dealer check out both issues at my next oil change but wondering if anyone with more car knowlwdge than me has any ideas. Thank for the responses.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:50 AM
cmlarge

I'm not sure what causes this but I occasionally have the exact same problem. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else out there has as well.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:50 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by berny32
Also, not sure if related or not, after driving the car for an hour or two (local and highway combined, about 50 miles total often in NY traffic), when I shut and get out of the car, I smell a faint smell of burning rubber coming from the front end. Where is this coming from? If this happened once i would have assumed the tires but its happened several times over the last two months. Tires or something else? Any ideas?
I'll have the dealer check out both issues at my next oil change but wondering if anyone with more car knowlwdge than me has any ideas. Thank for the responses.
How many miles are on your car now? The smell is most likely a coating that was on the engine, I think for shipping. It is normal and goes away after a while. It took mine about 1-2 months.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:31 PM
berny32

I have the car for 9 weeks and it has 3100 miles on it. The smell is very noticable after about an hour of drivetime for about 50 miles after you get out of the car and walk past the hood. Smells almost like burning rubber.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:58 PM
SANTOS29

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The rubber smell has been around for multiple generations of the G, some experience it only in the winter because of the snow, others when it rains, I believe the topic has been covered down at G35driver.com, but there is no real resolution as of this time.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:10 PM
daveinli

If you vehicle is an automatic, have the dealer reflash the TCM next time you bring it in. I had this exact problem, almost like an engine brake is being applied. Since the reflash, I coast right to the end.
The is a TSB for this, see my post for the TSB's
Old 03-07-2010, 06:34 PM
cdso

Originally Posted by daveinli
If you vehicle is an automatic, have the dealer reflash the TCM next time you bring it in. I had this exact problem, almost like an engine brake is being applied. Since the reflash, I coast right to the end.
The is a TSB for this, see my post for the TSB's
What he said! It's still going to downshift when you slow down, which in turn will slow you down even more w/ engine breaking, but it won't be as pronounced. I'm still trying to get used to timing my turns so that I can punch it right when it downshifts.

The burning smell is normal.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Pip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by berny32
I have the car for 9 weeks and it has 3100 miles on it. The smell is very noticable after about an hour of drivetime for about 50 miles after you get out of the car and walk past the hood. Smells almost like burning rubber.
Glad to know I'm not crazy. I drive on mountain roads frequently. If I let the G coast downhill on a steep hill, it jerks between 1800 and 2200 rpm - feels like the brakes are being applied - let off -applied, etc. I've complained to the dealer service dept about the burning rubber smell and, of course, they don't notice it. It's very noticeable if you run the car hard over 5000 rpm a few times.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:02 PM
6long

I still coast to the very end, but I can feel the little jerk when the gear drops. Is this normal, or do I have to take it to the dealership?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Try shifting into neutral when coming to stop.... I feel a jerk that I'm not used to in any other cars I've driven with Auto Trannys. It's the nature of this 7 AT... I'm not keen on it. There's plenty of complaints about it.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:19 AM
hufington

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is the terrible 7AT that causes this problem. Same here. The service checked it twice and re-flashed. still the same thing!
Old 08-15-2010, 04:52 PM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 7AT transmission is ridiculous. Sometimes, I feel like I have no control over driving this car because it seems to have a mind of its own. Someone said before that driving the G37 7AT is like riding a horse because you have to learn how to control it. I'm not sure if this happens in the 370Z 7AT either!