General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Anybody using Motul8100 and like the results?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ProTan
Junk? Tons of guys running Mobil 1 with great results. I have over 110K miles on my 450HP Z32 tt. Car has never had so much as a hiccup ever! I run 15W50 because I am in florida and I know tons of guys who are running over 200k Flawless miles on mobil 1.

Whats your reference for it being Junk. I want to let all the high profile cars including the manufacturers who use it for factory fill. They might want to know they are putting junk in there cars.
Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

In cars I own/previously owned:

S2k: specifically causes the timing chain tensioner issue. Fix: stop using Mobil1

S2k: viscosity drops too much during hot lap sessions. Fix: use an oil that doesn't thin out so excessively. (m1 users typically use a higher viscosity to compensate, although I don't know a single guy that tracks his car that uses m1)

STI: viscosity drops too much during street AND hot lap sessions. Fix: use an oil that doesn't thin out so excessively. (Again, many 400+whp STI users use a higher viscosity oil. Incorrect solution. Proper solution is to use a superior oil)

3000GT VR-4: Viscosity drops too much during street driving. Fix: use an oil that doesn't thin out excessively.

NA spec car: only car I owned that doesn't have issues with m1, but then again, it's only 120hp.

You may have a 450hp car, but do you ever push it 100% for extended intervals? If you don't, then m1 may be fine for you. It isn't for me, and I speak it like it is. Oil analysis only backs up my personal findings.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:42 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

In cars I own/previously owned:

S2k: specifically causes the timing chain tensioner issue. Fix: stop using Mobil1

S2k: viscosity drops too much during hot lap sessions. Fix: use an oil that doesn't thin out so excessively. (m1 users typically use a higher viscosity to compensate, although I don't know a single guy that tracks his car that uses m1)

STI: viscosity drops too much during street AND hot lap sessions. Fix: use an oil that doesn't thin out so excessively. (Again, many 400+whp STI users use a higher viscosity oil. Incorrect solution. Proper solution is to use a superior oil)

3000GT VR-4: Viscosity drops too much during street driving. Fix: use an oil that doesn't thin out excessively.

NA spec car: only car I owned that doesn't have issues with m1, but then again, it's only 120hp.

You may have a 450hp car, but do you ever push it 100% for extended intervals? If you don't, then m1 may be fine for you. It isn't for me, and I speak it like it is. Oil analysis only backs up my personal findings.
LOL. Why did you keep going back to using Mobil One after having all those problems!?
Old 03-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
I've only used M1 in the STI and VR-4, personally. M1 went away on the STI, and the VR-4's M1 was from the previous owner, who didn't drive it hard at all.

The other issues are from other owners I know personally. The s2k goes as far as having a TSB saying not to use Mobil 1.