General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Just Had Nissan do an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:40 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face Just Had Nissan do an oil change

Well long story short i took my car to a nissan dealer to change my oil and cabin air filter. well they told me our cars did not have the cabin air filter and i did not need one. that should have been a red flag. next i get my car back and drive it home and it smells like oil is burning. looked under the hood and it looked like they spilled some it it was just burning off. two days later wife takes car to work and calls the car is smoking from the engine, i say maybe more oil burning off. Three days later i pull the car out of the garage and parked it in the driveway and noticed i had a good leak. i took it back to nissan and they said the tech never tightened the drain plug. so they "filled it with more oil and said i was good to go." now i think the car is running funny in low RPMs like something is rubbing but it does not do it all the time.

What should I do? Could there be a real problem? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Stems

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say get someone other then that dealer to look at it. Probably another dealer around you if possible.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:58 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

the infiniti dealer is 1.5 hours away and that my be my next bet for next monday. its been two weeks already
Old 09-15-2009, 11:00 PM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Did you check the oil level before you brought it back to the dealer? You may have leaked enough oil out to starve the engine causing some internal damage. How many quarts did they put back in?
Old 09-15-2009, 11:58 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

not sure they were hush hush about it to me. i have a big spot on my garage for under the carpet i park on as well it looks to be more than two quarts worth.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:04 AM
MaxdOut

I hope you have a receipt from the second visit stating they screwed up. You may want to call them and see if they'll tell you how much they needed to put in. If it's 3 or 4 quarts you may want to get that engine looked at. Given what you said that it looks like 2 quarts on your floor plus all the driving... your best bet is to take it to the infinit dealer and have them look over the engine.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:07 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

thanks for the info they never gave me anything. ill call in the am
Old 09-16-2009, 12:13 AM
MaxdOut

Yeah call them, you WANT an invoice for that second visit as proof. It's not a good sign when dealers are hush hush....
Old 09-16-2009, 05:52 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

I must have lost at least 2.5 quarts cause when i checked the stick oil only went up half way. Now its to the h.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:48 PM
MaxdOut

So you did check it before you brought it back? Well, as long as it was higher than the lower hole on the dip stick the engine should be fine. Normally, not sure on the G's since it does not say in the manual, the area between H and L (the two holes) is one quart.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:27 AM
aznutx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think there's definately cause for internal engine damage. that's alot of oil 2.5quarts, wish u luck
Old 09-17-2009, 12:31 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

I agree with a few posts above - if you checked the oil level before bringing it back and it was between the L and H marks then you're OK.

But here's something to consider and I hope I don't give you more to worry about but you may want to have someone check it. I've done many oil changes and the drain plug is not something you leave loose (you're putting it in to tighten it). The problem can be that it get's over tightened and strips the threads in the pan so it no longer bites and you end up with a loose plug that leaks. If that's what they did then they may have temporarily "fixed" it by used a slightly larger plug which may not work indefinitely. They need to properly fix it if that's what they did. I had a dealer do that to a transmission drain and only caught it when I noticed tranny fluid leaking from the plug and it wouldn't tighten because it was stripped.

In most cases it's the filter that is not fully tightened and will leak (happened to me) but they would have admitted that. Also by the volume of oil you had in your garage it sounds like the leak was substantial (even 1/2 quart of oil will leave a huge puddle).

Now since they're a dealer it's not likely they would have done that but as I noted above I experienced that on my tranny. It would be worth having someone check it out.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:49 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

thanks i will take it back on monday. thanks for all the input.